Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see AA: SPML - Special / Vegetarian Meals / VGML (consolidated) for the current thread.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Scanning the last few dozen posts of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

it looks like ravioli is NOT always offered; however, there typically seems to be some kind of veggie pasta on transatlantic lunch/dinner flights, whether ravioli, tortellini, lasagna, or girasole.
Only four or five of the pastas are loaded so the OP should definitely choose seats according to FEBO to ensure a choice.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If I forget to double check, the special meal on the return somehow isn't there. I suspect that when I request it, they only put in the request for the first leg, but maybe it isn't loaded.

The ratee of missed special meals (on transcon J) is about 1 in 3. Bring a back up even if you order it and don't want to be without an option.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Thanks. Protein bars are bagged. Is the pizza really considered that bad? I always ate and enjoyed it...
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fairplayforswitzerland
Is the pizza really considered that bad? I always ate and enjoyed it...
It bears no relationship to the pizzas in Napoli (the birthplace of pizza). But then, neither do most pizzas outside of Italy.

My point being, different people have very different expecations / preferences regarding pizza, and so it's hard to use unspecific descriptions like "good / bad". I certainly found the AA pizza to be quite superior to that at some famous US-based pizza chains (on the ground).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Also keep in mind that IME, the F/J special meals seem to be the same as the Y versions, except maybe with an extra salad or side or something.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by r415
Also keep in mind that IME, the F/J special meals seem to be the same as the Y versions, except maybe with an extra salad or side or something.
It is far worse than that. AA basically has one special meal that covers many categories such as low sodium, dairy free, gluten intolerant, diabetic, etc.

When you are trying to cover so many parameters, taste is usually the first casualty.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:25 pm

First Class AA International Seafood Special Meal Option?

Hi,

I am wondering if AA has Seafood special meal option on their first class international flight. Do I have to request that by phone? or they has seafoods on their menu. The flight I am looking is LHR-DFW.

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ecialMeals.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipEntrees.jsp

Fly via Japan.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by nature1370
Hi,

I am wondering if AA has Seafood special meal option on their first class international flight. Do I have to request that by phone? or they has seafoods on their menu. The flight I am looking is LHR-DFW.

Thanks.
No.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Although there's no seafood special meal, they do indeed typically have some seafood on the menu. The appetizer is frequently (in fact nearly always) shrimp and smoked salmon. There are usually four main dishes to choose from, and one of the choices is usually seafood of some kind.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks.
If you are on (or can switch to) the AA codeshare flight on BA metal - then yes, you can order a seafood speial in first.

Otherwise no, but as others have said, there is usually a fish or seafood option as main course and the first couse is always smoked salmon and shrimp.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, United
DFW-CDG-DFW Special meal availability

A search did not turn up any useful answers for me, my apologies if I miss something obvious.

I just called AA to order a special meal (vegetarian) for my upcoming trip in 10 days only to be told that there was no special meal option at all for these flights.

The website seems to say differently but the person (very nice and polite) told me that no special meal was served.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ecialMeals.jsp

Since I am at the airport tomorrow, I will ask someone there, but I was curious if someone had direct experience with this.

dC
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Call back.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; Hertz President's Circle; Hilton Gold
Definitely call back. Vegetarian option is available on this flight. It is also available in F or J domestically and I have at times called and gotten someone at the EXP desk who did not even know that.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MiaAA
Definitely call back. Vegetarian option is available on this flight. It is also available in F or J domestically and I have at times called and gotten someone at the EXP desk who did not even know that.
The webpage says "Special Meals are not available in our main cabin on domestic U.S. flights. ". Transcons are the exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.