Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see AA: SPML - Special / Vegetarian Meals / VGML (consolidated) for the current thread.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Ordering SPML / Special Meal - how, what (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, AMEX BA PP, AMEX Platinum
Good luck from one GGL to another
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by krich
Good luck from one GGL to another
Thanks ^^ - I understand that my chances aren't too high though
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Various
You're already in Business Class, and you're hoping for an upgrade to First? If it happens last minute, they will likely be able to bring your meal from the J cabin. The menu/catering differences on the 3 class transcons is minimal. Often times the entrees are the same, with one additional choice added (on the standard menu). Not sure how much of a difference there is with a VGML for J as opposed to F.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760
You're already in Business Class, and you're hoping for an upgrade to First? If it happens last minute, they will likely be able to bring your meal from the J cabin. The menu/catering differences on the 3 class transcons is minimal. Often times the entrees are the same, with one additional choice added (on the standard menu). Not sure how much of a difference there is with a VGML for J as opposed to F.
That's right - looking to keep at least the chance of an F updgrade open. Not really a big deal, just have never flown AA "proper" F as opposed to domestic F (757's, MD-80's, etc). Not concerned with the meal differences between the classes, just anything edible. Was just to see if it blocks the chances completely as on BA.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Very good to know about BA, thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Irubi
That's right - looking to keep at least the chance of an F updgrade open. Not really a big deal, just have never flown AA "proper" F as opposed to domestic F (757's, MD-80's, etc). Not concerned with the meal differences between the classes, just anything edible. Was just to see if it blocks the chances completely as on BA.
My experiences does not mirror this on BA. Then again, the aircraft was pretty full, so maybe an op-up factored into it (although this has happened multiple times).

Was flying Y on MH right after they joined OW and was upgraded to J ( 2 class). Purser, crew chief and someone from MH management team all stopped by to profusely apologize that my special meal was not available due to my upgrade I was just happy to get the flat bed
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
That's right - looking to keep at least the chance of an F updgrade open. .
Just curious to know why you would consider an op up to F even a "chance"?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Working to the theory that on a busy flight airlines look to op-up. I have had a quick read through a few of the threads here and see that AA give priority to their elites first (which also makes perfect sense to me), but after that One World Elites should be next if I read correctly. As it is a weekend flight, I am figuring that there may be fewer elites in business.

Apart from that, just to keep some interest on a very boring weekend of travelling.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yeah, the chance is so low that it isn't worth thinking about it, let alone typing about it. Why am I still typing?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the MIA-LAX leg, I am in J on a 3 class 777. I am a vegetarian and have been able to order entrees for every other leg (great idea btw) as there has been a vegetarian option on the regular menu. On this leg though, there is nothing I can eat on the regular entree's.
Which type of meal service is it (in terms of what AA class it)? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack?

If it's lunch, at least one of the meals is likely to come with pita chips and one variety or another of hummus. In the past the hummus was in a plastic container, but on my most recent lunch flight it was served in a real dish! (The pita chips were still in a bag, though.) But they don't serve hummus and pita (with an entree) on entree "snack" flights. ("Snack" means you don't get much more than just the entree, plus nuts and a cookie. "Lunch" or "Dinner" means you do get more than the with a "snack". And btw "Dinner" and "Breakfast" tend to have vegetarian entree choices, while "Lunch" and "Snack" aren't likely to IME.)

Also, the meal that isn't a salad is more likely to have a salad with it, though again that might not be explained in the pre-order. Ie, if you don't eat either chicken or beef, but the beef is not a salad and the chicken is a salad, you want the beef (minus the beef), as it's likely to have a separate salad. (The chicken salad will have the chicken already in the salad.)

Nevertheless, those are strategies more for midcon flights where there is no special meal option. Since you're talking about a transcon flight where there is a special meal option, that makes total sense to order. Just make sure that your order doesn't get cancelled depending on when you get upgraded! (If you're upgraded at the gate, no problem, just alert the FA that you had a special meal in a lower cabin and you still want that special meal. But if you're upgraded well ahead of time, but too late to re-order the special meal for the new cabin, I'm not sure what happens...)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which type of meal service is it (in terms of what AA class it)? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack?

Nevertheless, those are strategies more for midcon flights where there is no special meal option. Since you're talking about a transcon flight where there is a special meal option, that makes total sense to order. Just make sure that your order doesn't get cancelled depending on when you get upgraded! (If you're upgraded at the gate, no problem, just alert the FA that you had a special meal in a lower cabin and you still want that special meal. But if you're upgraded well ahead of time, but too late to re-order the special meal for the new cabin, I'm not sure what happens...)
Thanks for that.
I would imagine it's lunch - 11:00 departure from MIA.
Anyway, have ordered the meal and will see what happens,
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, in case you're not aware, the same special meal is used for both vegetarian lacto, vegan, low sodium, and several other categories (it's one meal that fits all those standards simultaneously). That'll explain why, for example, you'll get margarine instead of butter, even though all you may have asked for is "vegetarian".

Btw, that makes for extremely wimpy breakfasts, since they exclude eggs and dairy but don't have much imagination (so the vegetarian breakfast is mostly just lots of fruit!). Unfortunately, on a longhaul international flights that have multiple meal services, you can't special order a vegetarian dinner but then have a normal ceral-and-yogurt breakfast. If a flight has multiple meals, your special meal order applies to all those meals.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:55 pm

As others have said, the special meal will have zero effect on the upgrade.

One point to note, if you do get the upgrade, your meal request will disappear from the passenger manifest. If you get upgraded at the gate, the special meal will still be loaded in your original cabin and you will need to ask the FA to look for it in the original cabin.

This has happened to me many times (both J to F and Y to J and both with requested upgrades that clear last minute and op-ups).
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:02 pm

Just wanted to update you all as I just got off the flight.

Indeed - as all those who said the chances were impossible - well - you were absolutely right!! I even asked at check-in and the lady looked at the screen and just said no as I was a BA frequent flyer

Also, the vegetarian meal was indeed awful, but for the rest of my flights now, there were options that I could eat, so no problem.

Thanks again for all the advice here
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I even asked at check-in and the lady looked at the screen and just said no as I was a BA frequent flyer
The fact that you asked for an upgrade probably reduced your chances to even lower than they were originally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.