Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You will almost certainly get miles. Not a guarantee, of course.

Knowing how these systems works helps here (I've posted about this before). And perhaps more importantly, similar sale codes in the past have worked.

The code is good for a whole month. Try one, and see if it works. If you get your miles in a few days you have the green light to keep using it. If not, you just got a $250 VGC for $243.45 after the fee. This is not a horrible outcome. Some might argue that getting the $12.50 discount is better than getting the 768 miles and LP. I would not agree with that, but it's close. It's certainly close enough that it's worth trying for one card.
I got mine over 24 hours ago and there are no signs of tracking, even though the banner "you will earn 730 miles" was displayed...There is usually some kind of tracking within 12 hours...Let's hope it is just delayed....
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nk15
I got mine over 24 hours ago and there are no signs of tracking, even though the banner "you will earn 730 miles" was displayed...There is usually some kind of tracking within 12 hours...Let's hope it is just delayed....
I used the EOS5 code and received the "your order has been tracked" email in within 12 hours. Hasn't actually posted to my account yet but that usually takes a couple days.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never missed an order appearing on my recent store visits with the amounts, even that one time it did not auto-post, so this is highly unusual and worrisome to me...

Last edited by nk15; Aug 13, 2022 at 1:11 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)

Knowing how these systems works helps here (I've posted about this before). And perhaps more importantly, similar sale codes in the past have worked.

The code is good for a whole month. Try one, and see if it works. If you get your miles in a few days you have the green light to keep using it. If not, you just got a $250 VGC for $243.45 after the fee. This is not a horrible outcome. Some might argue that getting the $12.50 discount is better than getting the 768 miles and LP. I would not agree with that, but it's close. It's certainly close enough that it's worth trying for one card.
Bought two cards, tracked almost immediately and have now received the email advising the posting to my account (768 x 2). Good times
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LittleBird
Bought two cards, tracked almost immediately and have now received the email advising the posting to my account (768 x 2). Good times
768 miles means you did not use the discount code? If true, then that’s regular times, not good times…
mwood19004 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:32 am

The question may not be whether you will get the miles, but rather, will you get to keep them? I just had miles taken away from me from another portal store for an order placed back in May. I used a promo code on the order. It was a promo code sent directly by the company, just like in this situation.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am getting a clawback too from a vendor, and it could be for any of three different reasons, lol...
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
DP: Just ordered a $250 Virtual Visa, at checkout clicked on the Add promo code button. before I could enter the EOS5 code a drop down box showed 5 coupons avail. clicked on try all coupons. it Automatically filled in "ENDOFSUMMER" and took off the 5%. and upon checkout, got the Airplane banner stating I earned 740someting points, and also got the confetti box! So... I'm guessing it's legit? we'll see RT
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the exact same confetti and banner with EOS5 but 48 hours later there are no signs of tracking anywhere....On two separate, single giftcard orders...this has never happened to me before.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
I am getting a clawback too from a vendor, and it could be for any of three different reasons, lol...
Just had a $21.99 clawback on a Shaw's Grocery order from last month. looked back and it was Wine! I've been doing the online order/pick up thing for 2 years, and almost every week there is wine or booze in the order. this is the first time they haven't allowed it?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
768 miles means you did not use the discount code? If true, then that’s regular times, not good times…
I used the code. Credit has always tracked 768 for me even when using AA authorised codes such as MemorialDay5. Great times.
roadtriper likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the code. Credit has always tracked 768 for me even when using AA authorised codes such as MemorialDay5. Great times.
I think I may have spotted potentially what the issue was with my order. After I entered the discount code, I clicked on the AAshopping button again, to make sure it will track, but this repriced the miles down to 730 from 768, and may have actually invalidated the tracking, as the system is now aware that an (invalid?) discount code was used. So, being too cautious may have actually backfired on me. Just a hypothesis.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
same here
roadtriper likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Thanks- Looks like this is a targeted deal, and I was not part of the target... i.e. no email received
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
I purchased a Visa GC last night and used the 5% off code.
Four hours later I received the tracking email from Cartera.
EkekoBWI likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.