Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:11 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Traveling with a companion tomorrow on a segment that requires three stickers. I didn't have enough for them to upgrade during check-in so I purchased two via the check-in process as directed. However, the sticker count hasn't been updated since purchasing during the check-in process (despite receiving a receipt stating I purchased two stickers) and the one sticker I had in my account has disappeared (it's showing I have zero stickers in my account) making it appear that their upgrade did in fact clear and the upgrade still shows "requested".

I reached out to CS via the chat function and they stated that I had four stickers in my account (unsure where the additional sticker came from) and the upgrade just hasn't been confirmed yet.

Is this some type of glitch? I thought that stickers purchased during check-in were supposed to post automatically?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:49 am

For the purpose of complementary upgrades, is there a list of countries included in "North and Central America, Caribbean". I've seen reports that colombia, peru, and ecuador are included in that, but can't find a definitive answer (and I don't think anyone considers those in Central America).

Also for EXP upgrades on awards, is that only using AA miles? Or could avios be used, etc...

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, BA Gold
Hi first post in the AA forum and thanks in advance!

I have an upcoming trip with two companions. I am Plat Pro and the companions are general members. We are booked into one PNR so upgrade option doesn’t show up in the app. I wonder if there is any way that I can request upgrade (just for me) other than split the PNR? Or if I split the PNR, will my companions lose their selected seats in MCE (the plane is 789 so the actual seats are premium economy)?

Thanks again and happy holidays!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JFKEWR
Hi first post in the AA forum and thanks in advance!

I have an upcoming trip with two companions. I am Plat Pro and the companions are general members. We are booked into one PNR so upgrade option doesn’t show up in the app. I wonder if there is any way that I can request upgrade (just for me) other than split the PNR? Or if I split the PNR, will my companions lose their selected seats in MCE (the plane is 789 so the actual seats are premium economy)?

Thanks again and happy holidays!
If you split the PNR your companions won't lose their MCE seats.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Can a paid F pax upgrade a companion from Y using stickers?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but it's been a while and I'm rusty.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Don't you both have to be on the same ticket/reservation?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
No. I've linked separate reservations dozens of times in the past for upgrade purposes. But my companion and I were always both ticketed in Y. It shouldn't make a difference IMO.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Agree - on BOTH counts! lol

Originally Posted by carlosdca
No. Of that, I'm pretty sure! But you do have to call and have the PNR's setup properly.
vasantn likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes, and an EXP can do it even if the Y pax is on miles. I do this all the time, and a DM to americanair on Twitter is way easier (and provides a written record) compared to calling. Here's my template in case you want to fill in your info:

Hi there! Could you help me with record xxxxxx (for myself, [name1]) and record xxxxxx (for [name2])? We're both on the same flight from XXX to YYY on MM/DD/YYYY.

Can you list [name2] as [name1]'s companion for the comp/sticker upgrade on those flights, using [name1]'s status to clear? Thank you!
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes, and an EXP can do it even if the Y pax is on miles. I do this all the time, and a DM to americanair on Twitter is way easier (and provides a written record) compared to calling. Here's my template in case you want to fill in your info:
Perfect, thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
doesn't the status of the person being upgraded have anything to do with this?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Can you do this as a lowly Plt? Can stickers come out of my account?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Completely agree! (When I started doing this, DM to AA/Twitter had not yet been created! But they are a fantastic group, often doing what a phone agent may say is not possible. And no waiting on hold. Just check back later that day or the next.)
vasantn likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Not really. If the companion has status and stickers he can request his own upgrade. If he wants to use a higher-status companion’s priority, then it needs to be requested as a companion upgrade by the higher elite, using the higher elite’s own stickers.
vasantn likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
No, a status pax can sponsor anyone's upgrade. The only catch is that the status pax usually has to check in first before the companion will be able to check in. And sometimes the companion will get a message saying to buy stickers but that's just a glitch, you don't actually need to buy stickers (they come from the sponsor's account).

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Can you do this as a lowly Plt? Can stickers come out of my account?
yes and yes! When wife (PPRO but usually Gold/Plat) travel with others, I'll sponsor someone and she'll sponsor someone else.
vasantn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.