Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by friedablass
Will they convert as well for people who currently don't have status?
I don't see why not
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Wondering if is worthwhile to redeem amex flight incidental credit to still get the 500 miles certificates. If they aren't used by the conversion 250 LP per certificate seems pretty low but I don't have very many other redemption options to get the full $250 credit (or in the case of certs $240-close enough) Only other option I see would be internet and that is of limited value to me. (lounge access via citi card, most of flights currently booked connect in CLT so can't stockpile one day passes for others until construction is over) The elite account is only gold and I am not sure if they will make platinum this year.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by kklems
Wondering if is worthwhile to redeem amex flight incidental credit to still get the 500 miles certificates. If they aren't used by the conversion 250 LP per certificate seems pretty low but I don't have very many other redemption options to get the full $250 credit (or in the case of certs $240-close enough) Only other option I see would be internet and that is of limited value to me. (lounge access via citi card, most of flights currently booked connect in CLT so can't stockpile one day passes for others until construction is over) The elite account is only gold and I am not sure if they will make platinum this year.
It seems like a real waste to me considering how easy it would be to earn the same 1500 LP via eshopping or other means. Do you ever purchase MCE seats in advance? Or buy premium cocktails / food items while in the AC?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2022-a.html

I’m hoping AA will wise up and give a better exchange value for these considering how many I’ve bought at $30-$40 each over the years. I can earn more LP from a $10 magazines.com purchase than I will from a $40 e500… and get a free magazine out of the deal too.
bosman likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:09 pm

contact AA. Saw where a person contacted AA and they were able to sort between paid and complimentary upgrades and made them a very fair offer to “make things right” between paying for stickers/500 milers and then being told they are worthless other than LPs

Originally Posted by _kurt
It seems like a real waste to me considering how easy it would be to earn the same 1500 LP via eshopping or other means. Do you ever purchase MCE seats in advance? Or buy premium cocktails / food items while in the AC?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2022-a.html

I’m hoping AA will wise up and give a better exchange value for these considering how many I’ve bought at $30-$40 each over the years. I can earn more LP from a $10 magazines.com purchase than I will from a $40 e500… and get a free magazine out of the deal too.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:11 pm

offered this for my unused 500 mile coupons

I had 10 (recently purchased) out of 12 remaining upgrade coupons and I had called the AA service desk to ask about a refund. They responded a few days later by email. I was offered a refund of $400 to my credit card (the amount I paid for 10), a $400 travel voucher, 50,000 AA miles or 2500 Loyalty Points. The other 2 earned ones will just get the 250 Loyalty points in exchange.

What should I do? I am leaning towards just getting reimbursed or the 50K miles.

Last edited by KrisKT; Apr 25, 2022 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by KrisKT
I had 10 out of 12 remaining upgrade coupons and I had called the AA service desk to ask about a refund. They responded a few days later by email. I was offered a refund of $400 to my credit card, a $400 travel voucher, 50,000 AA miles or 2500 Loyalty Points.

What should I do? I am leaning towards just getting reimbursed or the 50K miles.
AA is offering refunds for stickers you purchased?

what about the free ones that you earn from flying?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:19 pm

You don't earn them anymore with flying with their new system. I had just purchased some before they changed the rules. So that is why I called them asked for a refund.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I called AAdvantage Customer Service earlier today to ask about having my 500 mile stickers converted to something other than Loyalty Points. Rep said he had to submit a request form to AA and that AA will (or is supposed to) get back to me within 2 days with alternate options. I only have 4 stickers which I bought nearly a decade ago and the CC I used isn't even active anymore so a "refund" probably isn't an option, but I'd be happy with an AA voucher for an equivalent amount or a chunk of miles since 1,000 LPs would be pretty meaningless to me.

I'll report back on what AA offers me once I get a response. Will be interesting to see if my offer is in-line (on a per sticker basis) with the offer KrisKT received.

Originally Posted by KrisKT
I had 10 (recently purchased) out of 12 remaining upgrade coupons and I had called the AA service desk to ask about a refund. They responded a few days later by email. I was offered a refund of $400 to my credit card (the amount I paid for 10), a $400 travel voucher, 50,000 AA miles or 2500 Loyalty Points. The other 2 earned ones will just get the 250 Loyalty points in exchange.

If you take The Points Guy's evaluation at face-value, TPG rates AA miles at 1.77 cents/mile as of April 2022 so the 50K miles would be worth ~$885 but of course any value of miles is relative to the specific case of how you use them.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/
Old May 17, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It's been a long time since I've had to deal with this. I'm traveling with a non-status companion on a separate PNR and have requested upgrades for both of us. I've been assured that this has been done for both of us and that our records are linked, but my companion's online PNR does not show that upgrades have been requested. I remember from days gone by when this was a hit or miss proposition. Is it still the same or should I be concerned?
Old May 20, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold
500 mile "stickers"

Do you still get 500 mile upgrade stickers deposited in your account after each 12,500 miles? Do they have to be "flown" miles? TIA
Old May 20, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
It's been a long time since I've had to deal with this. I'm traveling with a non-status companion on a separate PNR and have requested upgrades for both of us. I've been assured that this has been done for both of us and that our records are linked, but my companion's online PNR does not show that upgrades have been requested. I remember from days gone by when this was a hit or miss proposition. Is it still the same or should I be concerned?
The honest answer is that it is really difficult to see if this is setup correctly -- we have to rely on AA. But I will say this. I am scheduled to fly with a companion on a separate PNR, and my companion's PNR did not show that an upgrade was requested (as of yesterday). On our return flight next Tuesday, we both have been upgraded as of today. So just because "upgrade requested" is missing does not mean that the companion upgrade link was incorrectly established.
vasantn and safari ari like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
The honest answer is that it is really difficult to see if this is setup correctly -- we have to rely on AA. But I will say this. I am scheduled to fly with a companion on a separate PNR, and my companion's PNR did not show that an upgrade was requested (as of yesterday). On our return flight next Tuesday, we both have been upgraded as of today. So just because "upgrade requested" is missing does not mean that the companion upgrade link was incorrectly established.
Thanks. That's what I remembered from years past, but it's good to have confirmation.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvthesun
Do you still get 500 mile upgrade stickers deposited in your account after each 12,500 miles? Do they have to be "flown" miles? TIA
No. Stickers are being phased out. Upgrades are complimentary for all elites now, and will be complementary for companions soon.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:07 am

I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I have a random opinion question/thought about upgrades.

I haven't flown much in the last few years because of Covid, but AA has extended Gold status. I have some travel plans, but I might not have even requalified for gold this year under the old system. But with credit card spend and the conversion of a bunch of 500 mile stickers, I'll definitely make Platinum, probably PPRO this year.

Is it reasonable to guess that a lot of people are in the same boat and upgrades will be even rarer for anyone below EXP soon?
Old May 21, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mauve
Is it reasonable to guess that a lot of people are in the same boat and upgrades will be even rarer for anyone below EXP soon?
There will be be some with new status due to card spend and shopping and what not, but if these folks still aren't flying much then there won't be a meaningful impact on upgrades. Lots of speculation in the LP thread below.

IMO upgrades will be tougher but little to do with the new Loyalty Points scheme and everything to do with 1) travel picking up, 2) lots of folks just buying F, and 3) AA offering lots of buy-ups (FCM).

Random example but I have a return to Europe coming up and the connecting flight RDU-DFW on a 738 is already sold out up front at 2 weeks out, midday flight on a Wednesday...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tatus-208.html
mauve likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.