Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:04 pm

I have an upcoming trip for me and a companion. Originally we were on separate PNRs and linked for upgrade purposes (I am currently Plat Pro and called in to request this). I needed a few extra EQD's so I later took an in-app offer to upgrade to first on the return flights. Will my companion still be eligible for an upgrade using my 500 mile stickers? My companion has no status.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I have an upcoming trip for me and a companion. Originally we were on separate PNRs and linked for upgrade purposes (I am currently Plat Pro and called in to request this). I needed a few extra EQD's so I later took an in-app offer to upgrade to first on the return flights. Will my companion still be eligible for an upgrade using my 500 mile stickers? My companion has no status.
By the rules no, you need to be seated in the same cabin as your companion for them to leverage your upgrade and/or preferred seating benefits. Also, AFAIK, from a systems perspective AA's waitlist sorting can't handle this as it doesn't know how to sort the companion without the elite status member also on the waitlist.

That said, if there's still availability up front on the day of departure, ask the GA...
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Looking for definitive advice about requesting pro-rated 500 mile stickers when you hit Platinum Pro for the first time. A little convoluted due to AA flights posting before AS flights taken PRIOR, hitting Platinum Pro naturally, and hitting it simultaneously or one flight prior earlier due to Hyatt Fast Track, depending on how you look at it.

Mainly wondering when you hit it, does the flight's miles that you hit it on count towards your earned number towards 12,500 that they presumably credit you for when you call or email and ask?

I've flown 4 tickets since September 29th. Before September 29th, I needed 6833 EQM for 4 more stickers and currently had 15 stickers. I have earned 18,790 EQM since then.
  • September 29-30 on AS
    • This is where I theoretically hit Plat Pro via Hyatt Status Challenge, but this flight, like all AS flights, does not post until the following Tuesday/Wednesday midnight mark
    • I earned miles as though Platinum, fair, technically I was platinum when I got on the first plane (I think in theory my layover flight 22 hours later I would have already been PPro)
  • Oct 2-3 on AS
    • This is where I theoretically hit Plat Pro naturally
    • I earned miles as though Platinum
  • Oct 3 on AA
    • This flight was taken as Platinum since AS above had not posted yet and 3 stickers were deducted for the upgrade I got (in which my recliner refused to recline)
  • Oct 5-6 on AS
    • Not posted until today of course, Wednesday the 13th, but the award miles earned were indeed at 80%

So, I got 3 stickers burned for a non-reclining business recliner, but I did earn 4 stickers that MAYBE I shouldn't have earned had things posted in proper order and I not signed up for a useless Hyatt Fast Track due to my schedule, but then those 3 stickers shouldn't have had to have been used... and I got burned on at least a few miles in a bonus earning bump I should have had but those are worth less than a single sticker... should I technically be asking for anything from AA, or keep my mouth shut? Technical answers please... not "is this worth your time or your post is too long and annoying so I'm going to tell you to sit down" =D =D =D

OH PSS I got ONE email from them, saying welcome back to Platinum Pro. I have never been Platinum Pro before. Odd... perhaps because of the Hyatt Fast Track even though it would have been activated almost at the exact same time as me earning it the natural way.

"Welcome back to Platinum Pro status!! Congratulations on again reaching American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum Pro status. You've spent a lot of time in the skies, and we're glad you chose to spend that time with us."
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Looking for definitive advice about requesting pro-rated 500 mile stickers...
Honestly just some constructive criticism but your post/question is so long and winding that's its hard (impossible) to get through exactly what you're asking.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
should I technically be asking for anything from AA, or keep my mouth shut?
I don't think you have an argument for any consideration with respect to accruals/timing. Accrual/status updates can take time and what transpires before your account status was formally updated is correctly relegated to the T&Cs of your prior status.

Still, I see no reason not to complain about the broken seat. Regardless of currency used to acquire the seat, you shoud be entitled to some compensation if it was not functioning correctly (and I had thought FAs are empowered to provide compensation on the spot, but maybe that's yet to be implemented on AA or I'm thinking of another carrier).

You can propose stickers, miles, etc, but I would not make a federal case of it. Whatever AA deems appropriate should be accepted with a smile, and if that's nothing, just move on. Don't mention your challenge, accrual timing, etc if you don't want the 4 "questionably awarded" stickers reviewed.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Oct 14, 2021 at 4:45 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I don't think you have an argument for any consideration with respect to accruals/timing. Accrual/status updates can take time and what transpires before your account status was formally updated is correctly relegated to the T&Cs of your prior status.

Still, I see no reason not to complain about the broken seat. Regardless of currency used to acquire the seat, you shoud be entitled to some compensation if it was not functioning correctly (and I had thought FAs are empowered to provide compensation on the spot, but maybe that's yet to be implemented on AA or I'm thinking of another carrier).

You can propose stickers, miles, etc, but I would not make a federal case of it. Whatever AA deems appropriate should be accepted with a smile, and if that's nothing, just move on. Don't mention your challenge, accrual timing, etc if you don't want the 4 "questionably awarded" stickers reviewed.
Thanks, yea, I wondered if there were any official terms... prior to these flights someone suggested requesting the upgrade and then requesting the stickers after the flight to be "Refunded" but in review, I could either end up plus a sticker, or down a sticker. If I hadn't used the stickers on a seat that doesn't even do it's basic function... I too thought they could do something but she simply said she would "tell the captain" which I really didn't know what that meant. Did she mean the FA Captain, I think she was it... did she mean the pilot... he can't fix a seat. Maybe it's in his job description to log a broken item on the plane but that seems odd.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Made Platinum Pro short 199 miles to earn additional 4 stickers. Next flight put me over but by then I was already Platinum Pro. Any way to get the stickers? Needed for upgrading companion.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Made Platinum Pro short 199 miles to earn additional 4 stickers. Next flight put me over but by then I was already Platinum Pro. Any way to get the stickers? Needed for upgrading companion.
In the past, I seem to recall varying levels of success requesting pro-rated 500mi sticker credit upon qualifying for PPro/EXP. I would call AAdvantage Customer Service and then, if not successful, follow-up with an email. It never hurts to ask.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Was just wondering if you all think I would be successful doing 500 mile upgrades on LAX/MIA early next month? What are the percentages of it happening? It would be a 772, I have 6 upgrades so thats enough to do it and my status is just Gold.

Can I use a Flight credit I have to book a paid seat in J and then also do the six 500 mile upgrades and then that way if it doesnt clear I still have a seat? Also, when would it clear, how far out would I even know? Is it ever something that can be confirmed at the time of booking.

One other idea since I dont think I can book 2 seats on the same flight but can I do the main cabin booking with the 500 mile upgrades on one flight and say on the next flight out use the flight credit and then if I get J on the first flight I cancel the 2nd but if not successful cancel the coach flight and just fly the next flight out where I have the J seat confirmed. Is that doable?

These J cabins on the 772 and 77W went out with a lot of empty seats on my Lax-Mia Covid flights but right now they are looking a lot more full so I feel as though being only Gold it wont work out for me?

Thx
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Was just wondering if you all think I would be successful doing 500 mile upgrades on LAX/MIA early next month? What are the percentages of it happening? It would be a 772, I have 6 upgrades so thats enough to do it and my status is just Gold.

Can I use a Flight credit I have to book a paid seat in J and then also do the six 500 mile upgrades and then that way if it doesnt clear I still have a seat?
No, you cannot double book yourself on the same flight. And if you have reservations on two back to back LAX-MIA flights on the same day then AA may cancel one of them.

Your chances of clearing as a Gold will vary greatly depending on day of week and time of day. Impossible to even guess odds without knowing more.

Using 500-mi stickers to upgrade, it can clear anytime from 24 hrs before the flight right up to departure at the gate.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
These J cabins on the 772 and 77W went out with a lot of empty seats on my Lax-Mia Covid flights but right now they are looking a lot more full so I feel as though being only Gold it wont work out for me?

Thx
IMO, lowest tier elites should never expect an upgrade. Treat it as a pure stroke of luck if it ever happens. And as we get closer to year end and travel rows, the odds drop.

this is especially true on hub-hub high value routes like LAX-MIA.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully this is a decent place for my question.

I'm looking at PHX-LHR on 5/27/22 AA194. Looking at the seat map it shows 2 seats in business have been booked so far with 2 more available at the current price before changing. When I look the flight up on expert flyer, it shows 2 in buck D left and 7 in J, with nothing in any of the other business class buckets. Does this mean all 26 remaining seats with be J?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by United16
Didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully this is a decent place for my question.

I'm looking at PHX-LHR on 5/27/22 AA194. Looking at the seat map it shows 2 seats in business have been booked so far with 2 more available at the current price before changing. When I look the flight up on expert flyer, it shows 2 in buck D left and 7 in J, with nothing in any of the other business class buckets. Does this mean all 26 remaining seats with be J?
Given that the flight is that far out it is certainly possible. The "7" on EF also means "at least 7", however, given the way AA has been schedule-swapping every month, this will likely not be the case 3-4 weeks out from departure, and highly unlikely the days leading up to departure.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:15 pm

Is anyone familiar... what happens if you book a flight as PLT and request 500-mile upgrades, and then a couple of weeks before the flight you qualify for PPro or EXP (from delayed partner airline earnings posted, for example)? Does it automatically convert the upgrade request for the upcoming flight to complementary? Does the upgrade priority also automatically update itself to the appropriate T-100/T-72 hour window?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamabam
Is anyone familiar... what happens if you book a flight as PLT and request 500-mile upgrades, and then a couple of weeks before the flight you qualify for PPro or EXP (from delayed partner airline earnings posted, for example)? Does it automatically convert the upgrade request for the upcoming flight to complementary? Does the upgrade priority also automatically update itself to the appropriate T-100/T-72 hour window?
Once you hit a new status level, you need to call AA to have an agent refresh your status on any existing reservations that were made under your old status level.
jamabam likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.