Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:43 am

Well I took around 15 minutes to appear in my account
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:01 am

As a PRO I'll be traveling with my family of 5 on one PNR. We'll be taking advantage of the free checked bags (10 bags total) we all receive based on being on my PNR. I called to have them add myself and one person in my family to the upgrade list on the flights. The agent mentioned that they would separate us on to a different PNR. That caused me to ask if the other passengers then would not receive my free baggage benefit. The answer was that only those on my PNR would receive the baggage benefit.
Is there a way to put myself and one companion on the upgrade list without separating onto a different PNR and therefore losing the baggage benefit for the other 3 passengers?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by badgersfly
As a PRO I'll be traveling with my family of 5 on one PNR. We'll be taking advantage of the free checked bags (10 bags total) we all receive based on being on my PNR. I called to have them add myself and one person in my family to the upgrade list on the flights. The agent mentioned that they would separate us on to a different PNR. That caused me to ask if the other passengers then would not receive my free baggage benefit. The answer was that only those on my PNR would receive the baggage benefit.
Is there a way to put myself and one companion on the upgrade list without separating onto a different PNR and therefore losing the baggage benefit for the other 3 passengers?
The agent gave you the correct info. There is not.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
The agent gave you the correct info. There is not.
Bummer. So the only way to secure a complimentary PRO upgrade when on a reservation with more than 2 people is to call and create 2 different PNRs? Otherwise, even the PRO would not be on the upgrade list?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by badgersfly
Bummer. So the only way to secure a complimentary PRO upgrade when on a reservation with more than 2 people is to call and create 2 different PNRs? Otherwise, even the PRO would not be on the upgrade list?
Correct, the other option is to have them separate them at the airport and then be put on the upgrade list after checking in, but you would miss a lot of your upgrade window, and Plats/Golds could get upgraded ahead of you.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
If it’s the outbound on a round trip I would be explicit to make sure the airport agent will not split the PNR or else you would lose your free bags on the return. I’m not sure if it’s possible to add to the upgrade list at the airport without splitting.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Can it be confirmed that the sticker earning calendar winds down on February 28 (February 29 in 2020)? Tnx.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
I was able to do this at the check-in counter (not gate) on my last trip. My no-status companion had stickers and I (EXP) did not. We cleared in advance and they were able to take the stickers from my companion's account.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, that is what you will hear from GAs that don't wish to do the work to change the rez or they haven't been trained on how to do it. Unfortunately they are usually the sole gatekeeper and you have no other choice, not that the other GA will do any different. It's totally a YMMV situation and what pressure the GA is under to get the flight out on time.
Any recent data points on this?

I am EXP (with no stickers) and have a non-status companion (with 7 stickers). We've cleared upgrades for this Friday & Sunday (2 stickers needed for the companion each way). I'm flying DCA-DFW-ABQ-DFW-DCA, the companion is just on DFW-ABQ-DFW.

I know in the past when the "computer" has wanted to pull stickers from my account for upgrading a companion, it has taken a good bit of work for the agent to pull from the companion's account instead (and I believe I've typically done this only with a companion who had lower status of her own but who cleared at my window thus prompting the computer to expect me to sponsor the upgrade... not sure how it will play out with a non-status companion, but the upgrades have cleared).

Anyhow, I know agents have less leeway now than some years ago, so curious re: any recent experiences... push comes to shove I'll just pay the $80 each way for stickers.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:07 am

No AA status, but 10 x 500 mile upgrades: how to use them? (to merge)

I got 10 x 500 mile upgrades in my no status AA account. It was loaded around last year for some promotion. Since I mostly fly in F buying revenue tickets (when I need luggage allowances) or using miles, I have no idea what are these upgrades and how I can use them.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
For all intents and purposes there's nothing you can do with them until you earn status again. They don't expire though, so they'll still be in your account to use if/when you have status in the future.
JDiver, Antarius and ACR2013 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Oh how I wish they were transferable.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Can non-elites apply upgrades to refundable coach fares?

Seems like that was allowed on either UA or AA at some point in time.... Or I could be dreaming it.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The basics about stickers are in the Wikipost in this thread:

Here are the pertinent points:
"Stickers" do not expire (as long as your account remains in good standing.

Losing AAdvantage status means "stickers" can no longer be used until status is regained.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped

Seems like that was allowed on either UA or AA at some point in time.... Or I could be dreaming it.
You used to be able to use them on AA but that was a long time ago. I have some in my account from those days but can’t use them now until I reach Gold which isn’t too far away.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped

AA allowed it early last decade. It was yet another merger casualty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.