Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by EGGSPLAT
Returning from Boston to SFO on Monday, the Aangels hatched the chicken fried steak. I thought my shoe had been taken. The foulest thing I have ever encountered (food wise) in my 6.2million mile relationship with AA. Imagine a batter-coated deepo fried meat frisbee--get it?
DO NOT REQUEST THE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK.
Ah yes, I encountered it a couple of weeks ago - also out of BOS. It boggles the mind that someone in the "Chef's Conclave" actually thought that combination of flavors/textures/ingredients was a good idea.

We actually brought a some off the plane w/us for test: Sherlock, our neighbor's beagle turned it down and once he eat a plastic trash can lid.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jakuda
Unfortunately, the first time around, I chose the lasagna roll which I found to be a mishmash of pasta and cheesy bits.

Both the lasagna and steak options sucked.

In February, at least there were three options on the menu.

I guess I'll find out today what the April menu looks like.
The chicken fried steak looked enormous and very breaded, which I suppose is in the nature of chicken fried steak.

I had the lasagne roll on Monday. I ended up removing one lasagne roll from the dish, putting it on my appetizer plate and draining it to make it drier. I then spooned the more solid bits of the tomato sauce onto that now drier lasagne rollup and adding the parmesan cheese product. It was much improved.

The appetizer with the orange chicken breast scared me, so I removed that and added the corn and black bean salad to the salad course and that was pretty darn tasty.

The whole thing was topped off by a Pepcid AC, which I believe improved the whole experience.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bdemaria
We actually brought a some off the plane w/us for test: Sherlock, our neighbor's beagle turned it down and once he eat a plastic trash can lid.
At first, I thought OP must be exaggerating. But with this corroboration, apparently not!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Various
In the beginning of March I had Chicken Fried Steak MIA-LAX. I have NEVER sent a meal back on AA, but after two bites, I did send it back. Somebody in the catering kitchen got carried away with the Cayenne pepper (for both the CFS and First Course/Cajun chicken) and rendered the item inedible. They offered the Lasagna Roll as a replacement, and I thought it was a weak selection as well. Hopefully the April menu will offer. RIP CFS.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by lalala
The chicken fried steak looked enormous and very breaded, which I suppose is in the nature of chicken fried steak.
That was just many of the peculiarities; CFS should be made of thin pieces of meat and lightly breaded; this was the same shape/thickness as the filets they serve - and then had a thick crust - which, as someone else has noted, had a generous amount of pepper for added effect.

It was truly dreadful.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Chicken fried steak is barely edible in a greasy diner where it has been freshly prepared. Eating one at 34,000 feet when it was made days earlier is just asking for trouble.

It seems AA finally found a use for all those steak entrees that came back uneaten. Bread it, fry it, serve it again. Any guesses what the next reincarnation will be next month when the CFS goes uneaten ?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I have been on flights where this was offered, and have been shocked to hear/see people choosing it over alternatives. What could possibly possess anyone to think that chicken fried steak is a meal that could be prepared and served on an airplane?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I have been on flights where this was offered, and have been shocked to hear/see people choosing it over alternatives. What could possibly possess anyone to think that chicken fried steak is a meal that could be prepared and served on an airplane?
When the alternative is the March lasagna roll
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Chicken fried steak is barely edible in a greasy diner where it has been freshly prepared. Eating one at 34,000 feet when it was made days earlier is just asking for trouble.

It seems AA finally found a use for all those steak entrees that came back uneaten. Bread it, fry it, serve it again. Any guesses what the next reincarnation will be next month when the CFS goes uneaten ?
My mother told us that when she was a child her mother fed them whatever they had not eaten the night before in an omelette the next morning. Lets hope a reincarnation of my grandmother is not working at catering.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:38 am

Chicken fried steak is supposed to be spicy. Is this one of those situations where a "10" on the 1-10 spicy scale in Milwaukee is like a "1" in Los Angeles?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by lobo411
Chicken fried steak is supposed to be spicy. Is this one of those situations where a "10" on the 1-10 spicy scale in Milwaukee is like a "1" in Los Angeles?
They may well have attempted to compensate for the supposed dulling of the taste buds at 35000 feet by adding more spice, but there's only so far you can go with that..
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
+1 for the OP. This is truly dreadful -- agree with others who wonder what they could have been thinking by putting chicken fried steak, which is hard to make on the ground, on the menu on a plane.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Mine had no to very-little heat, and the breading was soggy, which is the worst sin I believe, and I don't usually care for chicken-fried steak normally
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:20 pm

Totally disgusting. Tasted like a bland limply breaded meatloaf. May have been worse than the lamb shoulder recently served on LHR-JFK
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: Various
Heck no....I like spicy food. I put cayenne pepper in chili, Creole and Cajun food, even a hit in hollandaise sauce. When I said they got carried away with the cayenne in the CFS, I mean you could not taste the meat/breading.

I will admit, I tried the entree again in March and it was much better, and still better than a lasagna roll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.