Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Dining Service
Thank you for choosing American Airlines. It is our pleasure to offer you a variety of dining options on today's flight. We invite you to experience new menu items we call American Classics, which are popular entrees from menus past redefined with a modern twist. American Classics is where comfort meets gourmet.

To Start Warm mixed nuts

Appetizer Mojito shrimp served with somen noodles garnished with parsley

Salad A combination salad featuring fresh seasonal greens, offered with classic Caesar dressing or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar, accompanied by a chile cucumber salad

Bread Basket Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course
Chili Coconut Shrimp
Sauteed shrimp simmered in a chili coconut herb sauce, offered with sauteed vegetables and jasmine rice with vermicelli. An American Classics item
Cheese Ravioli Semolina pasta filled with four cheeses, offered with a mushroom tomato cream sauce, sauteed shallots and sliced mushrooms

Dine Upon Request(r)You may choose one of the featured entrees for you Dine Upon Request selection, presented all at once, at any time you wish during the flight.

Desert Ice cream sundae - Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans
or
Fruit and cheese - a selection of seasonal fruit and fine cheeses

To Finish Ghirardelli chocolates

Light Refreshment Freshly baked on board cookies

Pre-Arrival Beverage
For Your Enjoyment Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish

Wine and Beverages
Sparkling Wine
Scudo di Corte Prosecco
White Wines
ONEHOPE Chardonnay
Principato Pinot Grigio
Red Wines
Buena Vista Carneros Pinot Noir
Murphy-Goode Cabernet Sauvignon
---------
Despite the shrimp appetizer, I had the shrimp entree because I think AA does a terrible job with pastas. The shrimp main was pretty tasty, although due to what I suspect was a catering error, there were no sauteed vegetables, just lots of rice.
Same last night from JFK-SEA BUT I don't think the lack of veggies is a catering error because I had the same thing. I think the couple bits of chopped up veggies are what they mean. Kind of misleading. I thought the shrimp was good. But why would you have a shrimp app when you have it as an entree? Seems really odd menu planning.

Both the Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir were decent. Glenlivet didn't run out either.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Enjoyed my beef fillet and butterscotch sundae on tonight's 6pm JFK-SFO. Right now we're about 3 hours out of JFK. The other dinner option was cheese tortellini.

Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Anyone been on DUB-ORD/ORD-DUB yet this month?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:34 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
JFK-LAX AA181 - Nov 11

Summary: 4:45pm Departure. Some changes to the Oct menu posted upthread by ijgordon. I had the beef fillet (pictured in tom911's post above) and it was quite good. Mrs. dstan had the cheese tortellini on the same route last week and enjoyed it. I'd prefer cantaloupe slices to the puree in the appetizer, though!

Dining Service

To Start
Warm mixed nuts
Appetizer
Prosciutto garnished with Parmesan cheese, served wtih cantaloupe puree
Salad
A combination salad featuring fresh seasonal greens offered with sour cream and herb dressing or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar, accompanied by a mozzarella, cherry tomato and fresh basil salad
Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads
Main Course
Beef Fillet with Olive Demi-Glace
Grilled fillet of beef served with a kalamat olive demi-glace, Asiago mashed potatoes and a tomato and fennel sauté - An American Classics Item

Cheese Tortellini with Romano Sauce
Homemade tortellini stuffed with three cheeses, topped with tomato, mushroom and mozzarella sauce, Parmesan cheese and parsley
Dessert
Ice cream sundae - Breyer's Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans (actually it was hot fudge or strawberry sauce)

or

Fruit and cheese - A selection of seasonal fruit and fine cheeses
To Finish
Ghirardelli chocolates
Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board cookies (with milk, of course!)
*Dine Upon Request available

Pre-Arrival Beverage

For Your Enjoyment
Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish

Wines

Sparkling Wine
Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut
White Wines
Montevina Chardonnay
Principato Pino Grigio
Red Wines
ONEHOPE Zinfandel
Waca Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon
(Spirits, Beers, Brandy, Liqueurs, Other Beverages as per usual)
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
BOS-LAX AA 145-Dec 5

Comments: Everything was well presented, purser introduced himself and provided menus shortly before take-off. I had the understanding that this route was switching to the Ben & Jerry's sundaes recently announced, but as of 12/5/09 they are still serving the made to order sundaes^.

Dining Service
Thank you for choosing American Airlines. It is our pleasure to offer you a variety of dining options on today's flight. We invite you to experience new menu items we call American Classics, which are popular entrees from menus past redefined with a modern twist. American Classics is where comfort meets gourmet.

To Start
Warm mixed nuts

Appetizer
Cajun-style roasted chicken breast offered on a fresh corn salad

Salad
A combination salad featuring fresh seasonal greens offered with pepper cream dressing or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar, accompanied by an artichoke, wild mushrooms, and pea salad

Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course

Beef Fillet with Gorgonzola Mushroom Sauce
Grilled fillet of beef offered with a porcini mushroom and Gorgonzola cheese sauce, accompanied by wax beans and whipped potatoes with turnips.-An American Classics item

Stuffed Shells Pomodoro
Pasta shells filled with a four cheese blend, accompanied by a red roasted tomato sauce

Dessert
Ice cream sundae - Breyer's Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans (actually it was hot fudge or strawberry sauce)

or

Fruit and cheese - A selection of seasonal fruit and fine cheeses

To Finish
Ghiradelli chocolates

Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board cookies-chocolate chip or cranberry nut

For Your Enjoyment
Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
DUB-ORD J

Slight change to the menu this month: Asian chicken has been replaced with a beef roll.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
F to and J From Europe Food and Lounges

Wife and I cashed in some miles and flew to Europe for her birthday on Milesaaver awards. She made me keep the menus so here are reflections on the trip with an emphasis on Food.

STL - LGA (MD80 F)
JFK - LHR (100 777 F)
LHR- CDG (BA Ancient 737 What they call J)
FRA-ORD (83 767 J)
ORD - STL (MD80 F)

Note all gaps filled in with numerous trains and taxi's.

After taking a taxi from LGA to JFK we got to experience the Flagship lounge, overall very nice with a decent selection of wine and drinks. Rather stingy choices of food. Good view of the tarmac. Staff seemed very unwelcoming with the Admirals club having to give you a card to open the door and then an inspection of tickets with no real greeting just an "ok to pass" mentality.

First to LHR:
This flight is way too short to really get into the first experience. Swivel seats (2d/2g) were really cool and we could turn in to face each other during meal service. Lay flat was nice for the 3 or so hours we had to catch some sleep prior to 6am arrival.

Menu:
Marianated cheese, Nuts
Smoked salmon and citrus marinated shrip w/capers, red onion and sour cream
Salad Cart
Choice of: Mango Chili Beef, Seared Balsamic Chicken, Red Snapper with Aji Cream Sauce, Cheese Ravioli
Ice Cream Sundae for desert.
Continental Breakfast on Arrival

Wine: Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve Particuliere, Willm Pinot Blan Reserve, Goom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Grand Destieu, Coudline Pinot Noir Oregon

Is First way better than J? Not really but if paying with miles certainly worth the 12k or so differential.

Transfer from T3 to T5 is long annoying and confusing but that is par for the course at LHR I guess.

T5 Galleries First Lounge: Very nice huge selection for breakfast including an automated pancake machine and tons of wine. No access issues at all. Bathrooms and showers were cheesy at best very plastic laden with cruise ship like pressurized drains and flushing. Shower was especially horrific making odd slurping noises from the drain. Admirals club showers in ORD beat this hands down.

BA to CDG in J:
As I was warned by FTers, the short haul J product was just plain bad. Really just the first 6 rows of an old 737 with the middle seats blocked out. No leg room, they were very ambitious in trying to serve a meal (cold cuts,bread etc) on the 50min flight. Wine was acceptable and not bad. Other than that, would trade MD80 First for this anyday of the week. Especially annoying after 777 First.

Admirals Club in FRA:
Nice folks as usual. Meatballs, Gluewein (ick) and tomato soup.

FRA to ORD in J:

Aside from the seats, there was no big difference between F and J, maybe slightly less personal service. This was a 9hr flight compared to 5 or so to LHR from JFK.

Menu:

Nuts, Marinated Cheese Antipasto
Marinated grilled shrimp smoked trout and grilled salmon with a mustard caper sauce.
Salad
Choice of: Chateaubriand with Red Wine Sauce, Coriander Lime Chicken, Grouper with Onion Confit, Vegetable Lasagna
Sundaes for Desert

Mid Flight Snack: Cheese and Dried Fruit Plate

Pre Arrival Meal:
Choice of Uno's Spinach and Garlic Pizza or Beef Filet Sandwich with Fresh baked cookies.

Wines:Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne, Joseph Drouhin Rully Chardonnay, Groom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Villa Bel-Air, Castle Rock Pinot Noir

Flagship Lounge ORD:
Much smaller than JFK but seemed to have a better choice of food. Very nice staff double checking connection due to snow and keeping us updated personally.

MD80 to STL: Its and MD 80 all I can say it I was glad it was not BA J.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
Glad you enjoyed your AA product! I just did an MR to LHR, J on the way there, and F (767) on the way back to ORD. same menus, love seeing the sundae cart! Have to say the castle Rock pinot was quite tasty after breathing a bit. Great service both ways, just ate, drank, napped and watched movies for the weekend. Also had empty seats next to me both ways, made wrestling with the duvet, pillow, headsets and books easier! Thankful to maintain my EXP for the next year as well!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by execplatscum
STL - LGA (MD80 F)
JFK - LHR (100 777 F)
LHR- CDG (BA Ancient 737 What they call J)
FRA-ORD (83 767 J)
ORD - STL (MD80 F)

Transfer from T3 to T5 is long annoying and confusing but that is par for the course at LHR I guess.

T5 Galleries First Lounge: Very nice huge selection for breakfast including an automated pancake machine and tons of wine. No access issues at all. Bathrooms and showers were cheesy at best very plastic laden with cruise ship like pressurized drains and flushing. Shower was especially horrific making odd slurping noises from the drain. Admirals club showers in ORD beat this hands down.
Thanks for the report. It looks like you did a vol downgrade on the LHR-CDG but were on a F award. Did you try to access the Concorde Room in T-5? Also, would you mind sharing the time of day and length of time to transit T3-T5?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:15 pm

Wife and I cashed in some miles and flew to Europe for her birthday on Milesaaver awards. She made me keep the menus so here are reflections on the trip with an emphasis on Food.

Although part of a broader report, given the emphasis on Food , we'll merge this into the Longhaul Menus thread.

/Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Thanks for the report. It looks like you did a vol downgrade on the LHR-CDG but were on a F award. Did you try to access the Concorde Room in T-5? Also, would you mind sharing the time of day and length of time to transit T3-T5?

Didn't try the concord room not sure if it was a vol downgrade as BA doesnt offer F LHR to CDG. We arrived around 6am and believe it took at least 60 minutes from door open at T3 to checking into galleries first in T5. This included use of the Fast Track lane.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Didn't try the concord room not sure if it was a vol downgrade as BA doesnt offer F LHR to CDG. We arrived around 6am and believe it took at least 60 minutes from door open at T3 to checking into galleries first in T5. This included use of the Fast Track lane.
BA Concorde room access in T5 is strictly for BA first customers. PAX travel on other OW first cabins can use the Galleries First as can oneworld Emerald pax. In the days of T4 the only other airline using the concorde room by agreement was QF, and since T3 doesnt have a CCR, this doesn't apply.

BA does grant access to CCR to pax traveling domestic or in CE if connecting from an intercontenintal BA flight and booked in First.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
First Class (three-class 762) SFO-JFK, Flight 20, November 21, 2009, 3:30PM Departure. Major difference between F and J service includes a choice of a starter item in addition to the mixed nuts, The Salad Cart featuring a made to order salad, choice of a third entrée, a fruit salad option for dessert rather than the cheese plate, and a dedicated dessert wine.
(Thanks for the template, dstan)

Dining Service

To Start
Warm mixed nuts

or

Marinated cheese antipasto (Specifically: Mozzarella balls)
Appetizer
Mojito shrimp served with somen noodles garnished with parsley
The Salad Cart
Fresh seasonal greens offered with classic Caesar dressing or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Chile cucumber salad

Sliced chipotle chicken breast
Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads
Main Course
Seared Pork with Apple Demi-Glace
Seared bone-in pork enhanced by a caramelized apple demi-glace, served with grilled zucchini and mashed sweet potatoes -- An American Classics Item

The soft and generous Floris Merlot accompanies our bone-in pork chop beautifully. The combo of sweet potatoes and the rich taste of pork are enhanced by the merlot as its subtle fruit creates a tasty backdrop.
Poulet Basquaise
Grilled chicken breast served with fava bean gratin and basmati rice with pine nuts
Four Cheese Ravioli with Tomato Cream Sauce
Ravioli pasta filled with four cheeses, complemented by a tomato cream sauce, sautéed onions and freshly chopped garlic
Dessert
Ice cream sundae - Breyer's Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans
or
Grand Marnier fruit salad
To Finish
Ghirardelli chocolates
Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board cookies (with milk, of course!)
*Dine Upon Request available

Pre-Arrival Beverage

For Your Enjoyment
Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish (In typical AA fashion, sparkling water was offered with the cookies and milk service)
Wines

Sparkling Wine
Scudo di Corte Prosecco
White Wines
Buena Vista Carneros Chardonnay
ONEHOPE Sauvignon Blanc
Red Wines
Foris Rogue Valley Merlot
Cachuma California Shiraz
Dessert Wine
Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV
(Spirits, Beers, Brandy, Liqueurs, Other Beverages as per usual)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
(Thanks for the template, dstan)
My pleasure

Dessert Wine
Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV
You guys get Port in F?!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Wine: Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve Particuliere, Willm Pinot Blan Reserve, Goom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Grand Destieu, Coudline Pinot Noir Oregon

Is First way better than J? Not really but if paying with miles certainly worth the 12k or so differential.
I've never flown AA's international first, but based on the wine selection alone, I'd have to agree with the conclusion that AA F is not way better than AA J.

A $40 bottle of Champagne, and $20 wines? That seems pretty cheap on AA's part for international first. Are their fares really that much lower than than international carriers that they can justify serving wines that many international airlines would serve in business class?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For the 2010 threads, please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jan 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.