FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longhaul menu / menus; meal experiences/requests for menus 2009 (consolidated)
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:39 am
execplatscum

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
F to and J From Europe Food and Lounges

Wife and I cashed in some miles and flew to Europe for her birthday on Milesaaver awards. She made me keep the menus so here are reflections on the trip with an emphasis on Food.

STL - LGA (MD80 F)
JFK - LHR (100 777 F)
LHR- CDG (BA Ancient 737 What they call J)
FRA-ORD (83 767 J)
ORD - STL (MD80 F)

Note all gaps filled in with numerous trains and taxi's.

After taking a taxi from LGA to JFK we got to experience the Flagship lounge, overall very nice with a decent selection of wine and drinks. Rather stingy choices of food. Good view of the tarmac. Staff seemed very unwelcoming with the Admirals club having to give you a card to open the door and then an inspection of tickets with no real greeting just an "ok to pass" mentality.

First to LHR:
This flight is way too short to really get into the first experience. Swivel seats (2d/2g) were really cool and we could turn in to face each other during meal service. Lay flat was nice for the 3 or so hours we had to catch some sleep prior to 6am arrival.

Menu:
Marianated cheese, Nuts
Smoked salmon and citrus marinated shrip w/capers, red onion and sour cream
Salad Cart
Choice of: Mango Chili Beef, Seared Balsamic Chicken, Red Snapper with Aji Cream Sauce, Cheese Ravioli
Ice Cream Sundae for desert.
Continental Breakfast on Arrival

Wine: Nicolas Feuillate Brut Reserve Particuliere, Willm Pinot Blan Reserve, Goom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Grand Destieu, Coudline Pinot Noir Oregon

Is First way better than J? Not really but if paying with miles certainly worth the 12k or so differential.

Transfer from T3 to T5 is long annoying and confusing but that is par for the course at LHR I guess.

T5 Galleries First Lounge: Very nice huge selection for breakfast including an automated pancake machine and tons of wine. No access issues at all. Bathrooms and showers were cheesy at best very plastic laden with cruise ship like pressurized drains and flushing. Shower was especially horrific making odd slurping noises from the drain. Admirals club showers in ORD beat this hands down.

BA to CDG in J:
As I was warned by FTers, the short haul J product was just plain bad. Really just the first 6 rows of an old 737 with the middle seats blocked out. No leg room, they were very ambitious in trying to serve a meal (cold cuts,bread etc) on the 50min flight. Wine was acceptable and not bad. Other than that, would trade MD80 First for this anyday of the week. Especially annoying after 777 First.

Admirals Club in FRA:
Nice folks as usual. Meatballs, Gluewein (ick) and tomato soup.

FRA to ORD in J:

Aside from the seats, there was no big difference between F and J, maybe slightly less personal service. This was a 9hr flight compared to 5 or so to LHR from JFK.

Menu:

Nuts, Marinated Cheese Antipasto
Marinated grilled shrimp smoked trout and grilled salmon with a mustard caper sauce.
Salad
Choice of: Chateaubriand with Red Wine Sauce, Coriander Lime Chicken, Grouper with Onion Confit, Vegetable Lasagna
Sundaes for Desert

Mid Flight Snack: Cheese and Dried Fruit Plate

Pre Arrival Meal:
Choice of Uno's Spinach and Garlic Pizza or Beef Filet Sandwich with Fresh baked cookies.

Wines:Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne, Joseph Drouhin Rully Chardonnay, Groom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Villa Bel-Air, Castle Rock Pinot Noir

Flagship Lounge ORD:
Much smaller than JFK but seemed to have a better choice of food. Very nice staff double checking connection due to snow and keeping us updated personally.

MD80 to STL: Its and MD 80 all I can say it I was glad it was not BA J.