Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Yep, same calendar day is indicated in both sections that hillrider has posted in the wiki:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...hange_%28AA%29

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...andby_%28AA%29
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I was offered the option yesterday to stand by on a flight Monday evening from SJC-DFW, replacing my routing of 3135 SJC-LAX and 2404 LAX-DFW when 2404 departs at 1am Tuesday. Declined because there was no upgrade space.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
A few times I've seen people standby on a flight departing at 12:05 am, their original flight was scheduled to depart at 11:45 pm (the day before)--I've done this once or twice--the ga has lots of control of what one can "get away with".
[I think a pax or two missed their flights and got on the standby list for the next (and last departure until 6:00 am). This happened at LAS, when aa ran two redeyes one to ORD before midnight and the other to DFW after midnight--only the DFW is now running.]
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nrr
A few times I've seen people standby on a flight departing at 12:05 am, their original flight was scheduled to depart at 11:45 pm (the day before)--I've done this once or twice--the ga has lots of control of what one can "get away with".
Echoing the "gate agent has lots of control" point:

Yesterday (Monday) I flew AA16 SFO-JFK, arriving JFK at around 900p.

On a separate PNR, I had a LGA-BOS flight booked for this (Tuesday) morning.

I printed the bp for my LGA-BOS flight before departing SFO, and when I arrived at JFK, I walked over to the Eagle gate (31), presented my bp for the Tuesday morning LGA-BOS flight, and asked if I could stand by for the Monday night 1030p JFK-BOS flight. Although the agents had to struggle a bit to get the computer to accept it, they did allow me to do so and I did make the flight. And although my EXP-ness could not have hurt, the gate agents gave no indication that they were doing me a special favor. (Which is not to say that what the did was permitted by the rules, but they didn't flinch about doing it nonetheless.)
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:27 pm

I have a flight from mia-lga at 10 am on a monday morning, is there anyway i can get on standby on sunday without having to pay 150$?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Blumie has suggested that "although my EXP-ness could not have hurt, the gate agents gave no indication that they were doing me a special favor".

I suspect that you being EXP had a enormous amout to do with it. I could give you a number of examples of things that I was told I could not do when I was a mere PLT that now seem to happen without even asking when the GA sees that I am EXP. It may be that being EXP means more than travelling with an F ticket for example.

However maybe I am being trapped once more by Blumies subtle sarcasm? I wonder?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by udontchap
I have a flight from mia-lga at 10 am on a monday morning, is there anyway i can get on standby on sunday without having to pay 150$?
"Officially" NO (wrong days). Depending on other factors, there is a possibility. If the Sunday flight is not heavily booked and the Monday is oversold, they would probably be happy to put you on Sunday. But much of this is up to the GA. How far are you from the airport, do you have lots of luggage (as opposed to carry-on only)?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:10 pm

I am 10-15 min from airport and would probe be checking one bag in
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
About "same day" stand by.
If I have a ticket LAS-ORD for 4/19 12:45am, can I stand by 4/18 earlier flight? Like 12:40pm or 3:30pm? Or I can only standby on any flight on 4/19?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by yuchung5
If I have a ticket LAS-ORD for 4/19 12:45am, can I stand by 4/18 earlier flight? Like 12:40pm or 3:30pm? Or I can only standby on any flight on 4/19?

Thanks
Agents at the airport will some time make exceptions, especially for late night/early morning flights, but "same day" means the same calendar day.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Agents at the airport will some time make exceptions, especially for late night/early morning flights, but "same day" means the same calendar day.
Late last year I had an AC AAngel quote it as "same operational day", not same calendar day. As explained by the AAngel, for airports that aren't open 24 hours, a 1 AM departure counts for the previous day provided that the airport closes later than 1 AM; even for airports that don't close, there's an "operational" cut-off.

I haven't heard the terms since, however -- anybody else come across it? Is it an "official" term or was the AAngel just blowing air?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yuchung5

Thanks
It's within 12 hours on the same day but since this is a redeye, you might easily be able to get away with the 3:30pm in fact if they don't allow you to do so, ask a nicer agent/the supervisor because they might allow it
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ldpeters
I haven't heard the terms since, however -- anybody else come across it? Is it an "official" term or was the AAngel just blowing air?
I have never heard it defined that way, but I certainly like her interpretation of the policy.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
So I just need to be lucky to meet a nice AAgent to be able to do this.
Thanks, all.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
From my perspective, I would venture that Blumie's success above comes from three factors:

1. He is EXP.
2. He already had a BP in hand for the LGA-BOS flight.
3. He went to the gate of the departing flight versus the ticket counter. i.e. GA vs TA.

Whenever you're trying to standby and technically it's not permitted by the rules, work with the GA of the flight you're trying to get on. They have the most latitude from my experience at the airport when trying to determine who gets on a flight.

So, for those who are trying to turn up at the airport the night before, check in, and try to clear security with a BP for a flight the next day, best of luck. I don't see that option being successful except in the cases of the 12:05 am departure when one was originally on the 11:30p or v.v.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.