Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pokergirl
Yeah, I know this is probably a dumb question, but my brain is fried from long, exhausting work days. I was unable to find the answer via the search function.

Anyway, I have a returned scheduled flight for the 25th. But I found out I have to be at my next job in another state on the 25th, so I need to fly back home a day early to take care of business, then fly off to my next assignment on the 25th.

Will AA charge me the $125 change fee, or some outrageous fee to return home a day early? I pay for my own travel, then deduct from my taxes, as I am freelancer. My ticket is booked in Q and I am Gold, if that helps.

Thanks for the help, advice, etc.
AA will normally charge the change fee (usually $150 for domestic discount tickets) plus the fare difference. No other "outrageous" fees will be charged.
It's the trade off you get for buying discounted tickets on AA and not WN. Of course, I am sure there are some AA employees that might give you a break on this, so YMMV, but I would count on at least the change fee.

You've got nothing, at least financially, to lose by asking.
It might be a better deal to just buy a ticket for your new assignment that includes the trip home. (A to B to C to B)
Generally speaking, the old ticket would still be deductible, as well as all of the new ticket, but consult with your tax advisor to check
on your specific situation.

One other "out". If there has been a schedule change for your flights, you might be able to get them to change the return date.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Sadly, no. I spoke with an AA rep on the phone about a similar situation (had class till 11 on friday when I booked, then subsequently dropped the class). I asked about standby for the day before, but no dice. I just got the "show up to the counter the day of and ask to standby on an earlier flight.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 4:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was once on a redeye from las-dfw-lga, departing las at 11:30 pm and connecting to a flight at 8:00 am (the next day). I went standby on a flight departing las (16+ hrs earlier than my orig.) at 7:00 am (so far all legal)--when I arrived in dfw and inquired at the AC about going standby to lga, the agent noted I am now flying a day earlier than my original itn--it was a holiday weekend and things were "slow", the agent said "there is one seat left in fc, if you run fast you can make it to the next flight to lga."
There is still some confusion, as to what happens on a connecting flight which is on the "wrong" day.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
I did it out od CDG last year. Checked the seat map, there seemed to be plenty of empty seats so I just went to airport. No problem - got on the day before and got upgraded (eVIP). However, I suspect that EXP status makes things like that easier (just speculating).
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
However, I suspect that EXP status makes things like that easier (just speculating).
I think it really does. We were recently in Peru (LIM). Due to problems/issues with LAN, our travel within Peru got hosed, and we decided to come back part way (LIM-MIA of a LIM-MIA-SFO itinerary) two days early. We had good reasons with the LAN foul-up (even though this is not an AA responsibility). The EXP agent waived all change fees and only charged the $14 due for now having a stopover in MIA. So, it can be made to happen, but it is very much the exception, and I'm sure that being EXP way key here.

To the OP- call, as others have suggested- but I wouldn't count on it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:49 am

It would be much better if the major airline policy was 24 hours before the flight. Anytime an airline can get u on an earlier plane with an empty seat frees up a seat on a future plane is best for both the airline and the customer.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by brp
I think it really does. We were recently in Peru (LIM). Due to problems/issues with LAN, our travel within Peru got hosed, and we decided to come back part way (LIM-MIA of a LIM-MIA-SFO itinerary) two days early. We had good reasons with the LAN foul-up (even though this is not an AA responsibility). The EXP agent waived all change fees and only charged the $14 due for now having a stopover in MIA. So, it can be made to happen, but it is very much the exception, and I'm sure that being EXP way key here.

Cheers.

Im an EXP and attempted to do this on a flight recently from BOS-LGA but despite trying four different agents wasn't able to standby a day earlier. Flights were open but they wouldn't budge.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zman
It would be much better if the major airline policy was 24 hours before the flight. Anytime an airline can get u on an earlier plane with an empty seat frees up a seat on a future plane is best for both the airline and the customer.
I have a feeling (and this is not scientific at all, just based on what I've read here) that if one were actually at the airport the previous day trying to standby and a seat was truly available, that many TAs would allow this as an override. I can see why a phone agent might not as the load on the flight may still be in flux. Closer to flight time, I would expect more leeway...but it would involve a (possibly futile) trip to the airport and an understanding TA (possibly GA if one can get a priority card or something to get past security).

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
I did it out od CDG last year. Checked the seat map, there seemed to be plenty of empty seats so I just went to airport. No problem - got on the day before and got upgraded (eVIP). However, I suspect that EXP status makes things like that easier (just speculating).
You were able to go stand-by on an international flight without paying any fees and you got upgraded? Did not think that was possible at all.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by brp
I have a feeling (and this is not scientific at all, just based on what I've read here) that if one were actually at the airport the previous day trying to standby and a seat was truly available, that many TAs would allow this as an override. I can see why a phone agent might not as the load on the flight may still be in flux. Closer to flight time, I would expect more leeway...but it would involve a (possibly futile) trip to the airport and an understanding TA (possibly GA if one can get a priority card or something to get past security).

Cheers.

I suspect you are right. That's why I just went to CDG instead of calling - granted, I had to fly out that day so I would have paid the fees if I had to - but at the airport there was no issue nor was I asked for a reason.

I'm guessing that if it became "standard" to confirm it over the phone people could start abusing it. If someone is actually at the airport (expecially high elite levels) they can be more flexible w/o setting precedent.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Did you get the miles back for your intra-Peru ticket or some form of compensation? I believe you were on an all-partner ticket, right? Did the compensation come from AA or the partner? (just curious of what to expect if in ur scenario)

Yup, AA does have a favorable attitude towards their elites. I cant tell you how many times the instantaneous change in tone I experience by agents when they realize I am an EXP (even a few times as PLT). I have even gone through excess baggage weight without a fee.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Obviously a huge YMMV depending on the agent.

I have only tried it once at AUS trying to depart the afternoon before instead of the early morning. It was indeed a futile trip. But I was a lowly nothing back then (I think 06?). I have a feeling the same scenario will pan out differently if I were to go through with it today.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Did you get the miles back for your intra-Peru ticket or some form of compensation? I believe you were on an all-partner ticket, right? Did the compensation come from AA or the partner? (just curious of what to expect if in ur scenario)
Well, it was mostly weather, and a little bit of operational inefficiency. Didn't actually ask for the miles back (20K each, so not enough to bother over). I did send email to AA asking to talk to a CR person, who did call. He insisted in giving the miles back, so I said OK. I asked him to contact LAN as I would (somewhat) expect something from them for the missed hotel charges. He did, and they were supposed to call, but haven't yet. Really, I expect nothing. If I get something it will be cool.

This was a LAN intra-Peru award (from the set of intra-country awards that AA have for 20K miles).

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by brp
I have a feeling (and this is not scientific at all, just based on what I've read here) that if one were actually at the airport the previous day trying to standby and a seat was truly available, that many TAs would allow this as an override.
In years past (way back when the change fee was $50) that was the often case, but IME nowadays it is really uncommon to find an airport agent who will agree to waive the fees.

Originally Posted by ethang801
Im an EXP and attempted to do this on a flight recently from BOS-LGA but despite trying four different agents wasn't able to standby a day earlier. Flights were open but they wouldn't budge.
I'm not surprised, they've really been strict about this for quite some time.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
You were able to go stand-by on an international flight without paying any fees and you got upgraded? Did not think that was possible at all.
Neither did I (think that was possible).
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
It's been awhile since I've done this, but I've been charged the change fee (but luckily not the steep fare difference) when I've showed up at the ticket counter and tried to fly a day earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.