Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
No, the section on standby uses the term "same-day". And does not define what is meant by same day - same calendar day? or same 24-hour period. Airlines define the word differently. United also calls it a same-day standby but it is actually a 24-hour standby. I think it is an important distinction that is not covered in the AA wiki as far as I could tell. I did refer to it before posting this question.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by entrada
No, the section on standby uses the term "same-day". And does not define what is meant by same day - same calendar day? or same 24-hour period. Airlines define the word differently. United also calls it a same-day standby but it is actually a 24-hour standby. I think it is an important distinction that is not covered in the AA wiki as far as I could tell. I did refer to it before posting this question.
From the standby link in the FAQ

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:49 am

I'd say more often than not, people think of "same day" to not mean a 24-hour period, but the same calendar day. I think the "same" modifier here is key. Otherwise, they could say you have "one" day to standby, or something similar.

If UA calls it "same" day standby, I'll just say UA is being loose with their English.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was once flying A-B-C, A-B was a redeye departing on Sunday at 11:55 pm, B-C was on Monday. I was successful in getting A-B moved to a 7:00 AM flt. on Sunday; when I arrived in B, the AC agent, when I inquired about getting on a flt from B-C said that I'm supposed to be flying TOMORROW, but said there is a flt. departing shortly and if I go quickly, they are holding a fc seat open for me.^
I suppose I was violating the "rules", but GA's, AC agents can do lots of nice things. [The TA at A may have been instrumental in getting all this to work--I don't know.]
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a new AA executive platinum and have a question about same-day standby on AA. I am familiar with the United policy, where UA defines "same-day" as anytime within 24 hours of your original flight. So, for example, if I have a ticket for a 7AM flight on a Saturday, I can stand by and get a confirmed seat for any flight on the Friday before. Does AA define "same-day" the same way? Or do they define same-day to be the same calendar day as the original flight?
In my experience, "same day" at AA means "same calendar day."

If you want to stand by for a Friday flight at AA, you have to have a confirmed flight for Friday.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
"Same day" standby from Brazil?

I have a flight MAO (Manaus, Brazil) -MIA leaving at 11:50pm on 8/12 getting into MIA at 5:15am on 8/13.

I'd like to ditch my ongoing connection MIA-ORD-DCA and instead fly MIA-DCA.

In the past I had a very helpful GA get me on the 7:05am MIA-DCA flight (although I ended up in Y instead of my ticketed C) But it was a bit hectic and dicey.

The airport in MAO is very basic and the agents there are also very basic. I'd like to try to get a same day confirmed standy on the MIA-DCA flight while at the airport in MAO. From this thread it seems GAs are the best bet but the definition of "same day" seems a bit erratic. So maybe the MAO agents will be able to do this.

Anybody have any experience with getting a domestic same day confirmed standby issued from a foreign ticket desk? Do the foreign agents have some established definition of "same day" or are they "persuadeable"? Will the system block them doing same day in this situation?

Maybe a small airport like MAO will improve my chances over a larger one? Or is "same day" cast in concrete for foreign airports trying to make a change like mine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.