Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I've been able to move up a morning flight to a red-eye flight the night before without any fees at a couple airports.

Of course I was already within security at the time (on MRs), so that may have made a significant difference.

For one, I knew the earlier flight was very full, so I was also asking for a sticker upgrade to FC (I was still Plat at the time), and the GA was quite impressed with my sticker balance being 38 at the time (representing 95,000 flight miles of earning). I don't know if that factored into the decision. I did get in and upgraded.

Steve
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
In the past, this came up a lot on the SFO-ORD redeyes, when the direct flight was often quite a bit more expensive than SFO-DFW-ORD--but SFO-ORD left at about 11:50 pm, and SFO-DFW left at about 12:10 am "the next day."

As a Plat and EXP, the phone agents were consistent in saying "you can't do it." The airport folks were sometimes willing to be flexible, sometimes not--and they were much more flexible on the one occasion when SFO-ORD was fairly open.

-Hayden
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Might be off topic

Bear with me as this is perhaps off the OP's topic and it is also the most basic of questions, but I looked and couldn't find the direct answer. So let's just say that I am flying BOS-DFW-SAN-LAX-BOS for a long weekend (3/6-3/10) to see a friend. The intent was to take the redeye back to BOS and arrive the morning of the 11th.

Turns out the 10th isn't a holiday. I know you're thinking, "What holiday would it be, moron?" And you would be right. But stay with me. So now I'm looking to fly out maybe on the morning of the 10th to get back to Boston. I'd try the evening of the 9th, but the above posts have talked about the difficulty of that.

So do I just show up at SAN on Monday morning and hope to find some flight all the way home? Or will they fly me to DFW and then I'll need to wheel and deal from there as well? I'm a lowly Gold. Thoughts?

And before you jump on me, realize that I've already told myself over and over about the poor mental calendar I have. Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Bear with me as this is perhaps off the OP's topic and it is also the most basic of questions, but I looked and couldn't find the direct answer. So let's just say that I am flying BOS-DFW-SAN-LAX-BOS for a long weekend (3/6-3/10) to see a friend. The intent was to take the redeye back to BOS and arrive the morning of the 11th.

Turns out the 10th isn't a holiday. I know you're thinking, "What holiday would it be, moron?" And you would be right. But stay with me. So now I'm looking to fly out maybe on the morning of the 10th to get back to Boston. I'd try the evening of the 9th, but the above posts have talked about the difficulty of that.

So do I just show up at SAN on Monday morning and hope to find some flight all the way home? Or will they fly me to DFW and then I'll need to wheel and deal from there as well? I'm a lowly Gold. Thoughts?

And before you jump on me, realize that I've already told myself over and over about the poor mental calendar I have. Thanks a lot.
You can certainly go through LAX (if there is an earlier flight and get on an earlier flight to BOS) - going standby all the way.

You may be able to go through DFW (and probably prefer it that way, as there are more options). It all depends on the GAs mood. I would suggest you try at the ticketing agent first before the security checkpoint if they can find you a confirmed earlier flight to BOS for $50 (or free, who knows). If not, ask them if they can place you on a standby to the next flight to DFW, which should be easy, and then to BOS. If still unsuccessful, go inside and try with the GAs.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
... realize that I've already told myself over and over about the poor mental calendar I have...
it gets worse with age. my mental compass is a really poor substitute for GPS or even the real thing.

and if I could just remember where I put all those mental notes I keep taking ...
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05

If you're talking generally about international standby (same day)? that's pretty common - I used to do it all the time from LHR.
I flew DFW LHR DFW in October. I was booked on the 2pm return flight. A colleague had a flight that departed around 10, so we traveled together from the city to LHR and I decided to try to go stand-by on the 10am flight to DFW. The counter agent was adamant that this was not possible. FWIW, I am a mere Gold and was flying economy.

BUT, the good news is that the 10am flight had mechanical problems and arrived at DFW about an hour after the 2pm
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Eventine
A colleague had a flight that departed around 10, so we traveled together from the city to LHR and I decided to try to go stand-by on the 10am flight to DFW. The counter agent was adamant that this was not possible.
If my memory serves correctly, that matches most reports here. Those who have been allowed to go stand-by for international travel seem (at least imho) to be in the minority.

Originally Posted by Eventine
the good news is that the 10am flight had mechanical problems and arrived at DFW about an hour after the 2pm
Old May 19, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Any current experiences with standing by a day early? We are booked on AA 197 BOS-SFO Saturday night, and I just found out what I thought had to do on Saturday morning isn't happening. (I am also curious as to why AA 183 doesn't operate on Saturdays.)
Old May 19, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
I've found that actually showing up at the airport will get you a decent deal; usually just the change fee without the fare different.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:30 am

Location: Fort Worth, TX; AA EXP, Starwood Gold, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold
What if you are on the red-eye

I will be on the red-eye (12:30 am on Monday) out of Las Vegas to DFW and was wondering if anyone has tried to stand by for the last flight before the red-eye (6 pm ish out of LV)
Old May 19, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I may have missed something, but does your fare have restrictions.

I unfortunately always fly economy with restrictions and generally find myself screwed for prior-day stand-bys. The owner of our company always flies on unrestricted, mainly because he almost always changes his plans.

However, I think exceptions should be made in this particular case since ORD+Weather is a Lose/Lose for the customer and AA; they should let that one slide, but I doubt there's a policy in place.

Frankly speaking, if they'll do it for $150 only (no difference in fare), than that's a pretty fair compromise for someone who bought a restricted fare.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:57 pm

It may or may not possible

I actually postponed by 1 day and did not paid any fee. My Original Flight was DFW-ORD-CVG and DFW-ORD flight was delayed leaving only 20 mins transit time so I may miss ORD-CVG Flight. I explained situation at AA Ticketing counter and asked If I can fly the day after with non stop flight from DFW-CVG. She agreed and did it with no fee and she also said that they may not do this favor again in future to me.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by RachelG
I know my husband has done it and not had to pay the change fee, but I expect it depends on the mood/attitude of the TA. The reason I remember was that he did it the evening before the infamous institution of the liquid/gel ban. Got home before that mess started. The next day, when we learned about the ban (which was instituted with no advance warning), we figured he was the luckiest guy in the world.
Why the luckiest guy in the world? Is your husband a hair gel company chemist who was carrying all the company prototype hair gel lots from the secret formulation lab to the secret test lab?

Steve
Old May 27, 2009, 7:10 am

two experiences:

a)
Day 1 MIA-ORD
Day 2 ORD-TVC

Was allowed to standby for ORD-TVC on Day 1, but I was already at the airport (my MIA-ORD was early...in theory MIA-ORD-TVC in Day 1 would have been an illegal connection). The date on the ticket actually showed up as Day 2, so the GA might have been in error or not cared.

b)
Day 2 TVC-ORD-DFW

Bad weather was [obviously] coming into TVC. The personnel at TVC said they would have to charge fees, etc., but suggested I call the EXP desk directly. I told them I could either travel today, or not at all [since bad weather was coming and did come]. The phone changed the ticket at no charge. So I flew Day 1 TVC-ORD-DFW.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
A month ago I remembered this possibility too late to actually try it. Was on a sorta-MR from DFW-LAX-ATL-DFW (not a pure MR as I planned it for miles but chose destinations based on knowing people there I could pay a visit to). My friend in ATL bailed on me the day I was going there from LAX. I just went to a hotel intending to take my planned flight home the next day, and later it occurred to me that I should have just walked a couple of gates down and tried to get back on another plane going back to DFW that night. Argh.

Oh well. Sounds like my chances would have possibly been slim anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.