Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by seeyoo
I actually postponed by 1 day and did not paid any fee. My Original Flight was DFW-ORD-CVG and DFW-ORD flight was delayed leaving only 20 mins transit time so I may miss ORD-CVG Flight. I explained situation at AA Ticketing counter and asked If I can fly the day after with non stop flight from DFW-CVG. She agreed and did it with no fee and she also said that they may not do this favor again in future to me.
That's a bit apples and oranges, since your change request was due to an issue with an AA delay that could cause you to miss your connection.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by we2sparks
I will be on the red-eye (12:30 am on Monday) out of Las Vegas to DFW and was wondering if anyone has tried to stand by for the last flight before the red-eye (6 pm ish out of LV)
It really doesn't matter much if they succeeded or not, as that would have little affect on your chances. Technically you are permitted to standby on the same day. However, individual agents might let you standby for this 6pm flight. It is really a case of YMMV.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:55 am

Stand by for a flight departing one day before original flight

My flight departs at 12:15am, which is early morning.

My question is, if I would be able to stand up for the flight departing 4:30pm on the day before? Officially they are two different days...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Unless something has changed since February...then no you cannot standby for a flight on the previous day. I tried this as I had a redeye at 12:45 AM from LAS to DFW. I couldn't even get on the flight that left about 90 minutes earlier.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The paid Confirmed Flight Change (CFC) also is listed as same-day, but allows up to 12 hours before/after the current flight.

https://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=...eDayTravel.jsp

Even though "same day" is explicit, it's possible that you can get someone to work with you on this since you're offering the $50. Certainly worth a call. Worst they can do is say no.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:30 pm

I will have to SB CLE-JFK. Anyone know the historical loads? These are the CRJ 145s.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:54 am

Move ticket up one day ahead?

I am scheduled to fly LAX-JFK on Tuesday, however I was wondering if it is possible for me to fly standby on Monday anytime during the day back to NY, it doesnt have to be JFK, could be LGA or EWR. I just need to be back in NY before Tuesday.

Sorry for the noob question, but if there are empty seats on Monday flights, will AA allow me to fly out monday?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly1346
I am scheduled to fly LAX-JFK on Tuesday, however I was wondering if it is possible for me to fly standby on Monday anytime during the day back to NY, it doesnt have to be JFK, could be LGA or EWR. I just need to be back in NY before Tuesday.

Sorry for the noob question, but if there are empty seats on Monday flights, will AA allow me to fly out monday?

Thanks
AFAIK, standby = same day only.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
gemac is correct. Standby is only allowed on the same day as the originally scheduled flight.

Years and years ago, one could show up at the airport a day early and stand a decent chance of being put on a flight with open seats, but ime the days of doing so at no extra charge are long gone.

Before being allowed to fly a day early, AA will collect the applicable change fee/fare difference (if any) from the OP.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Same day is defined as midnight to midnight, departure time. Are there any red-eyes that leave Monday night after midnight (i.e. Tuesday early morning)? If so, standby onto those should be allowed.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Previous Day Voluntary Standby

Hi all, would it be possible to have a flight booked for 7:30am departure (MIA-SFO), but to voluntarily standby for free on the 7:35pm departure on the previous day with the same routing? I know aa.com specifies same-day departures, and only the NEXT 12 hours relative to originally booked time, but was wondering whether any of the FT'ers have successfully pulled this off?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by doodley
Hi all, would it be possible to have a flight booked for 7:30am departure (MIA-SFO), but to voluntarily standby for free on the 7:35pm departure on the previous day with the same routing? I know aa.com specifies same-day departures, and only the NEXT 12 hours relative to originally booked time, but was wondering whether any of the FT'ers have successfully pulled this off?
I once showed up for a flight a full month in advance by accident (admin assistant error flight was booked for March 12 instead of Feb 12). Got to the airport and clearly the agent could tell there was a mix up and put my on the flight with no issues or fees.

Not sure what a voluntary standby is vs an involuntary standby but assuming that its not a full fare and you don't want to pay a change fee but really want to try to get there earlier. You could take note of the above scenario. That said, I think it helped that there was plenty of availability and I had EXP status. 7:35pm and 7:30am do seem to be very similar
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:36 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FT, doodley.

Short answer is "no."

This topic actually just came up a few days ago; please see the consolidated thread for other members' experiences: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Also, for future reference: I was able to find the consolidated thread just by searching on the word "standby".)
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, doodley!

Your thread has now been merged into the existing thread on this topic, helpfully pointed out by JY1024. As you can imagine, there are a lot of questions that come up quite frequently, so we ask all members to do a search for existing threads prior to starting new ones. This keeps information consolidated in the forum and easier to find in the future.

Thanks for your cooperation & enjoy!

/Moderator
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think there's confusion here.

For free standby, that can be onto any flight departing on the same calendar day (midnight to midnight) as your booked flight. It need not be within 12 hours. You may standby onto a 12:05 am flight even if booked for an 11:00 pm departure. Or vice versa, though if you plan to standby onto a flight later than your original one, you need to contact AA in advance of original departure time to let them know, so your ticket doesn't get canceled as a no-show. There is no 12 hour window that applies to standby.

AA also offers a same day confirmed change option. This costs $50, and if space is available, allows you to confirm the change within a 12 hour period before your desired flight.

Neither one will help you get onto the flight departing the previous day.

Last edited by swag; Jan 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.