Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by Deltahater
You were able to go stand-by on an international flight without paying any fees and you got upgraded? Did not think that was possible at all.
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Neither did I (think that was possible).
Not sure which part(s) you are surprised at:

If you're talking generally about international standby (same day)? that's pretty common - I used to do it all the time from LHR.

The upgrade? to clarify, I was eVip'ed on the original flight - he just transferred it to the new one.

The fact that it was the day before? Well, this was the only time I tried and had no problem. Like I said, the load was pretty light and I'm guessing it was a discretionary decision that would probably not have worked for a non-EXP.

Or maybe since he was French, his coffee break time was approaching and he didn't want a long drawn argument
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
In years past (way back when the change fee was $50) that was the often case, but IME nowadays it is really uncommon to find an airport agent who will agree to waive the fees.
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It's been awhile since I've done this, but I've been charged the change fee (but luckily not the steep fare difference) when I've showed up at the ticket counter and tried to fly a day earlier.
Well, I did say my comment was unscientific and, as with most studies, it seems that there are reports on both sides. Bottom line seems to be:

It may work out, but don't expect it. Be willing to either make a trip to the airport in vain, or pay the fees if you simply have to go.

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It's been awhile since I've done this, but I've been charged the change fee (but luckily not the steep fare difference) when I've showed up at the ticket counter and tried to fly a day earlier.
If there is availability in your booking class, no fare difference should be charged (just the change fee) for changing the return after the outbound has already been flown.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
The fact that it was the day before?
That's what surprised me.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by soitgoes
If there is availability in your booking class, no fare difference should be charged (just the change fee) for changing the return after the outbound has already been flown.
There must not have been. I've only done this on the advice of my (rather good) travel agent. At least one instance probably involved a fare-split connection which I was able turn into a non-stop.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
The outbound flight on the itinerary isn't until tuesday. So I am better off just waiting, then showing up at the airport the day I need to fly? I will be departing from Omaha, NE... I don't expect any occupancy issues LOL I mean, who goes to Omaha in the dead of winter, besides junkie poker players.

I don't mind having to pay only a change fee when I get to the airport. I was checking out the AA website and they will allow to "change my flight" but I have to pay the new fare plus fees, etc. The cost to change it now online, is more than the original cost of the ticket.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pokergirl
The outbound flight on the itinerary isn't until tuesday. So I am better off just waiting, then showing up at the airport the day I need to fly?
Imo that would be your best hope, but keep in mind it's a long shot.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
I haven't been able to get this to work with a telephone agent, either.

Normally, I can understand the policy, but one time I tried to come home a day early, the flight I was trying to switch to had only sold about 1/3 of its seats, and the flight I was trying to switch from was oversold--it would have seemed to be a win-win-win (me-AA-and someone on the next day's flight) if they had allowed me to switch.

Not a huge deal to me, but it doesn't make sense to me from a maximizing revenue standpoint.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by cawa
Not a huge deal to me, but it doesn't make sense to me from a maximizing revenue standpoint.
There are lots of things in airline rules that do not make sense from a maximizing revenue standpoint if you look at them as an isolated case, but make sense from a long term perspective. MRs are a prime example - on the face of it, if I buy a ticket and decide not to go, why can't the airline give me the miles? There's never a loss to the airline and there's incremental gain (less food and fuel, some probability of reselling my seat if the flight sells out, etc..). So win-win, right? But of course they can't do it. Same goes with allowing free rebooking for earlier days - it would set a precedent that people here on FT (myself included) would figure out how to exploit
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's how it seems to work - from an independent consultant with many years and road miles under the belt.

For leisure travel of any sort, the lowest price works, as long as I build in "buffer" time - e.g. heading to PNG for diving, take a couple of days in Oz in case the dive gear gets extraviated; catching a cruise in Lisbon or Athens, or a safari in Nairobi or Windhoek, give a couple of buffer days to enjoy the local scenery and get over any possible jet lag. On the return, build in a couple of "buffer" days to play catch up. Understand that generally the airline will only permit "fault free" changes in case of passenger, traveling companion or family death or illness, or other extraordinary circumstances. (And if I may need to return early from a leisure trip make sure I have flexible fare just in case.

For business travel, get the client / employer to pay for a flexible fare (or to be prepared to pay the consequences.) Still build in some buffer time - if I train in Spain , I need even a bit more time to prepare and to repair - the time change and the requisite 10 PM "early dinner" with the cochinillo / suckling pig after an afternoon of "tapeando" make the early mornings setting up the training room and gear are local issues and conditions to plan for as well.

BTW, though WN may not charge change fees, they will still charge the difference between the fare purchased and the available fares on early (or late) returns.

While I empathize, I do not sympathize much - from my perspective, you purchased a ticket with known fares and restrictions, now you are blaming the airline for "some outrageous fee to return home a day early." Nope, they are merely doing what they said they would do in the Detailed Fare Rules you should have read before you "pulled the trigger" and purchased.

I'd not feel any better if a client of mine changed the terms and conditions we'd agreed with at the last minute. And I suspect, though I do not know this, that any AAgent who let this one slip by and didn't have enough titular power to waive the change fees and upfare charges on his / her own might be held accountable and be penalized for being nice to you but depriving her / his employer of revenue.

So, your best bet, as others have said, is probably to go to the airport ready to fly and be very, very nice. There's a good chance you might fly for no extra fees and fare differentials, but be prepared for the possibilities of 1) paying the charges you agreed to, or 2) calling your client / employer and explaining you will be unable to report to work as requested - particularly if loads are high.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by pokergirl
The outbound flight on the itinerary isn't until tuesday. So I am better off just waiting, then showing up at the airport the day I need to fly? I will be departing from Omaha, NE... I don't expect any occupancy issues LOL I mean, who goes to Omaha in the dead of winter, besides junkie poker players.

I don't mind having to pay only a change fee when I get to the airport. I was checking out the AA website and they will allow to "change my flight" but I have to pay the new fare plus fees, etc. The cost to change it now online, is more than the original cost of the ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:40 pm

I have gone directly to the GATE and been able to standby for an earlier day flight.

Trick is you have to have a boarding pass for the next day's flight.

When the agent printed the new boarding pass it still showed the wrong day, but she did not seem to care.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by AAaLot
I have gone directly to the GATE and been able to standby for an earlier day flight.

Trick is you have to have a boarding pass for the next day's flight.

When the agent printed the new boarding pass it still showed the wrong day, but she did not seem to care.
How did u get past the TSA?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zman
How did u get past the TSA?
Probably the same way I did at MSY recently--accidentally (really) gave the ID checker the boarding pass from the day before (the inbound flight). He initialed it and never noticed.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:28 am

Standby on direct vs overnight connection

Here's a twist along the similar theme:

Return flight is

XXX-YYY @8pm, Day 1 -> Overnight
YYY-ZZZ @7am, Day 2 ->Early morning

Can you go standby for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1?
Can you get confirmed standby for XXX-ZZZ on Day 1 (and US$50 fee)?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
That's what surprised me.
Me too... but hey if the OP said it happened...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.