Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of AA's Premium Security Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JDiver
LAX - it's not easy to find, you have to go upstairs and wind to your LEFT, find the line, and then it ultimately merges with the regular line.
I fly through LAX on int'l routes a lot. I love that afterwards I only have a short SAAB flight to get home, with flights every hour or even more, but I hate that there isn't an elite line, and how long the security line gets. Often the line starts at the top of the escalator and goes all the way down the second-floor hall.

You're saying there is an elite line that starts on the second floor? I've never seen it. How do I find it?

Last month I was on a 777 from NRT that landed at LAX just after a Quantus 747. Immigration had *huge* lines. After clearing customs, exiting into baggage claim, going upstairs to the main terminal, the security line started at the bottom of the escalator. I finally made it to the end of the narrow upstairs hall, and discovered that numerous Quantus pax had snuck up some back stairs I didn't even know existed, and were entering the security line near its head. Some percent of them were caught by the TSA agents who were upstairs, the rest got in line unnoticed.
Old May 18, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
The checkpoint in Miami seems to open and close during the day. In Feb while departing to SDQ, I went to the special boarding line only to be told that due to the departure of too many flights at one time, the line was closed. Of course, the sign was still in place indicating that this was a line for AAdvantage elites. In MIA, the better solution seems to be to walk past security between the E and the A terminals, usually one line is fairly short. Once you pass security, these terminals are interconnected. Just remember that the presence of a sign does not mean that you can actually get in an elite boarding line.
Old May 18, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
However, the Eagle flights that go out of the main terminal (as opposed to the satellite terminal) have a separate security checkpoint that does not have a premium line. And that line can be very long in the morning...
That's where my Eagle flight was leaving from. It's nearly always easier and quicker to use the main concourse's premium security line, take the bus from gate 30, and have the driver drop me at gate 22 in the Eagle concourse.
Old May 18, 2005, 4:29 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH Senator, TG Gold, AA Platinum
The last time I departed PHL there was an Elite/First line shared with other carriers.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by BWI Flyer
BWI, on Concourse C, for EXP and PLT (and First Class, of course).

Was wondering why not GLDs, though...

Now that WN has a bigger presence on the C concourse at BWI, I was really happy to see the elite line the other day -- about a 20 minute wait to get to the "check your ID" point, and I walked right through.
They let GOLD through this line also. I know the sign doesn't indicate this but I've done it several times when GOLD.

Whether you get through faster or not is debatable. I've seen them open the elite line up for others on several occasions. Not at the entrance, but down at the end where the lanes "merge". When at this point, if they let the general line in, you haven't saved much time.
Old May 18, 2005, 5:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe the QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services) passengers found the way... and maybe the elites got through, the others got noticed? I'm pretty sure when I came in from the TBIT in December I walked over to AA, went to the LEFT of the check-in area and upstairs, back RIGHT toward the security line and found the entry at the head of the security line for elites.

Am I off here? Was that a one-time thing, a dream? LAX-folk, speak up...

Originally Posted by anabolism
I fly through LAX on int'l routes a lot. I love that afterwards I only have a short SAAB flight to get home, with flights every hour or even more, but I hate that there isn't an elite line, and how long the security line gets. Often the line starts at the top of the escalator and goes all the way down the second-floor hall.

You're saying there is an elite line that starts on the second floor? I've never seen it. How do I find it?

Last month I was on a 777 from NRT that landed at LAX just after a Quantus 747. Immigration had *huge* lines. After clearing customs, exiting into baggage claim, going upstairs to the main terminal, the security line started at the bottom of the escalator. I finally made it to the end of the narrow upstairs hall, and discovered that numerous Quantus pax had snuck up some back stairs I didn't even know existed, and were entering the security line near its head. Some percent of them were caught by the TSA agents who were upstairs, the rest got in line unnoticed.
Old May 18, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Maybe the QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services) passengers found the way...
Sure sounds like it

...and maybe the elites got through, the others got noticed?
I bet that's it. LAX is very strict about who can get into the elite security line. There are usually two checks for elite status, one at the bottom of the escalator leading up to the elite line and the other going along with the ID check. When I tried to get in once with a MX BP (which did not indicate my AA status), I was asked to show my EXP card.

I'm pretty sure when I came in from the TBIT in December I walked over to AA, went to the LEFT of the check-in area and upstairs, back RIGHT toward the security line and found the entry at the head of the security line for elites.
Maybe... there are two check-in areas at LAX Terminal 4. There is an economy check-in area and a First/Business/elite check-in area. The First/Business/elite check-in area is closest to TBIT. So if you're coming from TBIT, you would make a right through the doors into the check-in area, then a left up the escalators, and a right at the top of the escalators.

If you're having trouble finding it (and it seems like a lot of posters are; there was a poster a few weeks ago who stated, "LAX does not have an elite line"), go outside Terminal 4 and start walking towards TBIT. When you reach the end of Terminal 4 (and the gap between Terminal 4 and TBIT), look inside the windows. You'll see the elite check-in area. From there, walk inside and start going back towards the general check-in area, looking for an elevator going up to the elite check-in line. There is usually a sign at the bottom indicating that it's only for elites and First/Business.

(As a side note, LAX is one of the few airports that I've seen with a dedicated First/EXP check-in line, separate from the Business/PLT/GLD line. Most airports lump them all in together. This can make a big difference during busy times!)
Old May 18, 2005, 8:29 pm

Maybe the QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services) passengers found the way... and maybe the elites got through, the others got noticed? I'm pretty sure when I came in from the TBIT in December I walked over to AA, went to the LEFT of the check-in area and upstairs, back RIGHT toward the security line and found the entry at the head of the security line for elites.

Am I off here? Was that a one-time thing, a dream? LAX-folk, speak up...
The QANTUS pax were walking up a stairwell, no escalator anywhere near there as far as I could see, and getting right to the head of the security line. There doesn't seem to be much room on the second floor at this stage, outside security and back from the street side. On the street side of the terminal there is some kind of hallway but I don't know where it comes from. Back away from the street side, as far as I recall there is just a small area that is fenced off from the security screeners. The stairs are there, just back of the hallway that the security line uses.

I've been connecting through LAX on int'l flights for years, and have never known there to be an elite security line. If there is one I'll be very happy. I have a flight tomorrow that connects there, but it's domestic so I won't have a chance to look for it.
Old May 18, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
A friend of mine who is a Homeland Security bigshot told me that they train the new TSA screeners at BWI - that is why it takes forever to get through security there - and certain things "beep" that never do anywhere else (i.e. normal size belt buckle, hair clip, etc.).

LAX - I always go to the Elite line - but I originally found it only by accident and it is not well marked. From the main check in area, Go to the end of the terminal - you will pass through an area where there are restrooms. Past the restrooms, there is a separate first class check in desk but the last few times i've been there the desk has been closed. Looking at the desk, the escalator is directly behind you and to the left. There is an attendant at the bottom of the escalator standing next to a large floor stand with sign saying "first/business/elite" - it you are at the ticket counter, you only see the back of the sign (with no writing on it)

My boyfriend was at LAX last night - he has used the elite line several times before but I had to "talk him through" last night - he could not find it!

By the way - what is up with DCA? Do they have an elite line or not??? I swear that I have used it before but did not find it last time I was there.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
By the way - what is up with DCA? Do they have an elite line or not??? I swear that I have used it before but did not find it last time I was there.
DCA does not have an elite line, but, DC-based elite members were invited to participate in the TSA's registered traveler program.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:11 am

Question Question Regarding Premium Checkpoints

Do the airlines pay any additional money for these premium checkpoints?

TIA.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I've had the elite line at LAX save me from missing the flight last week. The line for regular security was down the hall and down the escalator. I walked up the escalator in the premium line and merged right in with the regular line. 5 minutes tops from start to finish. It would have been 30+ minutes in the regular line.
Old May 19, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Did anyone mention ORF yet? The premium line saved my hiney one time I was running pretty late.

Btw, the LAX premium line has a high probability of a celebrity sighting, if you're into that kinda thing. They get ushered around the whole premium line by some sort of AA premium service agent. I wonder how big of a celeb you have to be in order to qualify for the star treatment.
Old May 19, 2005, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
or ORD
with no other infromation. As one poster indicates above, s/he was in a lengthy queue at ORD, and did not feel s/he should risk searching for an elite queue - though as I recall, there IS one, and it is not necessrily where one would think of.
They moved it. It used to be between G and H and is now between K and L. People don't seem to be aware of this security checkpoint, let alone the premium lane, as this checkpoint is not busy at all compared to the one between G and H.

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/term...facilites.shtm
Old May 20, 2005, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by SJUflyer
JFK has separate "premium" queues in both T8 and T9. (Terminal 8 in my experience, though, is sometimes a mixed blessing since flight crews tend to push in front of everyone....
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
This weekend at JFK domestic the sorting of premiums v. others occured after ticket/ID check; short xray/metal line for elites and front cabin, all others to the right. Long lines behind the checker, rapid passage after that.
I flew out of JFK T9 yesterday. The elite line was just to the left of the regular line, with a clearly marked sign. Separate ID checkers for each line.

Going through the elite line took much longer than it would have taken for the regular line, because it has only one machine, and the party in front of me were extremely slow in getting ready. Took them several minutes to produce their IDs and boarding passes for the ID checker, then even longer to find metal in their pockets and disgorge it, etc. There is an extra boarding pass check afterwards, and again it took them a long time to fish theirs out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.