Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
The RDU-LHR flight really should have no bearing on the CLT-LHR flight. The RDU flight is all local traffic...nobody connects to RDU to fly to LHR. The CLT-LHR flight will live and die based on connecting traffic. With LHR being a huge Oneworld hub, I think it has a decent chance.
Originally Posted by ty97
US managed to sustain CLT-LHR prior to joining OW. I can't see why the flight wouldn't be sustainable (and flourish) after US joins OW. The connecting traffic that used to fly CLT-FRA-ZZZ (connecting to LH) will now fly CLT-LHR-ZZZ (connecting to BA)
Between AA and BA there are LHR flights from MIA, ATL, RDU, BWI, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK and BOS so either those connecting to CLT in order to fly to LHR will now have direct service or there will be a new hub. My point was really that it may make more sense to send the connecting traffic elsewhere and send the O/D traffic two hours away to RDU.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Between AA and BA there are LHR flights from MIA, ATL, RDU, BWI, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK and BOS so either those connecting to CLT in order to fly to LHR will now have direct service or there will be a new hub. My point was really that it may make more sense to send the connecting traffic elsewhere and send the O/D traffic two hours away to RDU.
AA and BA sustained all of those LHR flights without the help of US passengers. US sustained the CLT flight without the help of AA/BA passengers. Now that AA and US have combined, why would these flights not continue to all be unsustainable, unless we are assuming that LHR passengers will, for some reason, leave the new AA?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
One strategic decision that the new management will have to make: shall they try to poach high-value UA customers at LAX, NYC, & ORD, or take the easy route and hunker down in the PMUS fortress hubs? They're head-to-head at LAX & ORD, and with both JFK and PHL, new AA can conceivably eat away at two sides of UA's EWR home turf.

Between CLT and RDU, CLT appears to be the current business leader of NC (though I say with limited knowledge and am open to correction and flogging as appropriate)
Charlotte's long been the largest city and commercial center in central North Carolina. Raleigh has been growing much faster since the 1960s, both in population and income, but with considerably different economic strengths: eds/meds and professional services in RDU, vs. finance, trade, and management in CLT.* Historically, CLT was the better hub location: it was set up by Piedmont Airlines, which had its headquarters in Greensboro (about halfway between CLT & RDU).

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Slightly OT, but are you finding that your BA redemptions on AA metal are printing with Priority Access?
Yes. Shhh

* Economic Development 101 quick reference tool: the BLS Location Quotient calculator tells you what industries your city is over/under-represented in.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If I could count the number of times AA.com has suggested that I fly ORD-RDU-LHR or NYC-RDU-LHR, for cheaper than the non-stop option to LHR ...... I have politely declined each time
Okay, I should clarify, yes, I'm sure it's possible to buy a connecting ticket on that flight. What I was trying to say is that I believe that flight came into existence because of the demand for local biotech/pharmaceutical traffic from Research Triangle Park and London. If that didn't exist, that flight wouldn't exist today.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dtremit
What that means is that AA can't use anything smaller than a CR9 or E175 to fly from DCA to those cities. So ORD will definitely upsize to at least an E175; it has to.
Great information. According to their latest timetable, effective January 8th two of the CRJ7's are now being flown by E75's.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Okay, I should clarify, yes, I'm sure it's possible to buy a connecting ticket on that flight. What I was trying to say is that I believe that flight came into existence because of the demand for local biotech/pharmaceutical traffic from Research Triangle Park and London. If that didn't exist, that flight wouldn't exist today.
Yep, I understand (didn't mean to sound like I was picking at you, I wasn't! ) Just poking fun at AA.com's constant insistence that I consider routing to LHR through RDU or BOS rather than non-stop.

Now if they suggested I route JFK-LAX-LHR for the same/cheaper price, that would be worth it for the miles!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
AA and BA sustained all of those LHR flights without the help of US passengers. US sustained the CLT flight without the help of AA/BA passengers. Now that AA and US have combined, why would these flights not continue to all be unsustainable, unless we are assuming that LHR passengers will, for some reason, leave the new AA?
True, but perhaps there is a desire to sell fewer really cheap seats. Just because all of the routes were previously sustainable doesn't mean that there aren't ways to improve yields.

I suppose some of the CLT traffic will depend on what kinds of contracts the new AA is able to win from Bank of America and, to a lesser extent, Wells Fargo. Forgot about these two behemoths in my previous post so perhaps certain routes, like NYC, LHR and SFO will continue to be big enough with O/D to justify keeping them.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I think that CLT will lose mostly int'l flights, particularly those to *A cities. I also think that CLT-LHR is in mortal danger, since RDU is less than 150mi away and won't be losing its LHR flight any time soon. Perhaps that flight will see a larger aircraft, though. Definitely some cuts to LAX - with JFK and MIA having so many LAX flights, and RDU having one too, I just don't see US supporting a half-dozen dailies. Same with SFO.

PHL makes sense to keep as a hub for those smaller East Coast cities which don't have much O/D traffic from NYC. Won't be taking the Europe connections from ORD, though, since ORD has more O/D traffic. It wouldn't shock me if PHL saw a few transcon cuts to LAX/SFO since some will invariably go to JFK. PHL-SEA could be in danger as well.

Doubt there will really be much ORD cutting. Not only is it the only midwestern hub, it's also the country's third largest metro area. Perhaps some of the midwestern destinations served by DFW and ORD could see some redistribution to PHL flights (IND, MCI, ICT, OKC, TUL) and I would definitely expect to see an increase in PHL-AUS.
CLT LHR isn't going anywhere - it will probably become 2 times daily. BA used to serve CLT when US wasn't in Star - and that was like 20 years ago - the idea that CLT won't have a nonstop to LHR is crazy.

UA wanted US almost entirely for it's CLT hub - it's the only viable hub outside Atlanta to serve the fastest growing region of the US. US management loves CLT and it isn't going anywhere.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Yep, I understand (didn't mean to sound like I was picking at you, I wasn't! ) Just poking fun at AA.com's constant insistence that I consider routing to LHR through RDU or BOS rather than non-stop.

Now if they suggested I route JFK-LAX-LHR for the same/cheaper price, that would be worth it for the miles!
No worries! I'd maybe consider doing a JFK-RDU-LHR just once, just for the different line on the map!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:10 pm

Also, speaking of CLT TATL flights, I've been waiting for the announcement to come from Lufthansa that they're pulling the CLT-MUC flight, now that there's not going to be any Star Alliance feed. I guess the timetable for US leaving Star was just finalized earlier this week, but LH still has that flight loaded through the end of their schedule. I'm curious when that's going to go away, you would think they'd pull it sooner rather than later, as each passing day increases the chance that more people are going to book for a future date when the flight won't be there that they'll have to reaccomodate.

Again, all of this presuming the flight is in fact going away...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, speaking of CLT TATL flights, I've been waiting for the announcement to come from Lufthansa that they're pulling the CLT-MUC flight, now that there's not going to be any Star Alliance feed. I guess the timetable for US leaving Star was just finalized earlier this week, but LH still has that flight loaded through the end of their schedule. I'm curious when that's going to go away, you would think they'd pull it sooner rather than later, as each passing day increases the chance that more people are going to book for a future date when the flight won't be there that they'll have to reaccomodate.

Again, all of this presuming the flight is in fact going away...
I'm not convinced that LH will give up on CLT, in part for the reasons I posted above in post #82. But I've been wrong before.

LH serves USA cities that aren't Star Alliance hubs, like BOS and DFW (among others), not unlike the way BA has long served USA cities where it doesn't get any feed from AA or other partners. Of course, O&D to/from London is huge and perhaps that is the difference. A lot of people have mentioned the large number of German companies in the Carolinas, so LH might have enough business if it has the right-sized plane for the job.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm not convinced that LH will give up on CLT, in part for the reasons I posted above in post #82. But I've been wrong before.

LH serves USA cities that aren't Star Alliance hubs, like BOS and DFW (among others), not unlike the way BA has long served USA cities where it doesn't get any feed from AA or other partners. Of course, O&D to/from London is huge and perhaps that is the difference. A lot of people have mentioned the large number of German companies in the Carolinas, so LH might have enough business if it has the right-sized plane for the job.
True. If the route does stay, I don't see it staying on an A340-600 though. I see it more of an A330-300 and perhaps only 5 or 6x a week, instead of daily. But we'll see!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by paytonc
One strategic decision that the new management will have to make: shall they try to poach high-value UA customers at LAX, NYC, & ORD, or take the easy route and hunker down in the PMUS fortress hubs? They're head-to-head at LAX & ORD, and with both JFK and PHL, new AA can conceivably eat away at two sides of UA's EWR home turf.
AA is, by far (and this was pre-merger), the largest airline by revenue at LAX. That's why it has the most gates and OW has the largest lounge, since LAX dives that up by revenue. It has a very solid position in Los Angeles among high-value customers, and this is largely thanks to insanely strong and historic ties to the entertainment industry that date back to the 1950's.

In Chicago, the combined airline is now the largest O&D carrier in Chicago. More people fly to and from (as opposed to through) Chicago on American Airlines than any other. That gives it a very solid position in the Chicago loca market.

The new airline will absolutely continue it's market leading position in Los Angeles among high value customers, look to continue to strengthen it's position in Chicago as being the favorite local airline and continue it's true strength in New York, where it continues to have the largest share of corporate travel contracts, flies to just about every major business market non-stop and is the largest airline to New York City's four largest markets - Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago and London.

And that won't exist exclusive of keeping it's positions in Charlotte and Philadelphia.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My guess is that CLT keeps its regional flights but the international flights get axed and the transcons get reduced. PHX has the most to lose in terms of flight frequency and destinations. I think business as usual at the other hubs.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by paytonc
Historically, CLT was the better hub location: it was set up by Piedmont Airlines, which had its headquarters in Greensboro (about halfway between CLT & RDU).
Not that it matters, but Piedmont was headquartered at Smith Reynolds Airport in Winston-Salem. Piedmont served INT with scheduled flights until @1980, but with GSO only a few miles away, it made no sense to serve both airports. If I remember correctly, when Piedmont was considering putting a hub in NC at about the same time, they looked at GSO due to its proximity to INT as well as CLT. They chose CLT for several reasons including CLT's willingness to work with Piedmont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.