Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
For what it's worth, British Airways own T7, so there are slightly more dynamics involved than just moving them to T8 and calling in the bulldozers. Also, I don't think you mean that United's presence at EWR is basically zilch except for p.s.; that would be JFK.
Well, BA owns it until sometime in 2015, when the lease expires, IIRC.

IMO, if you're going to be in a joint venture, sharing revenues and profits, then you really should co-locate with the partners, and that would be at T-8. Now that AA is out of Ch 11, it would be nice to hear that AA and the Port Authority have agreed on the completion of T-8 so that BA and other OW airlines not at T-8 can move there.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Well, BA owns it until sometime in 2015, when the lease expires, IIRC.
I stand corrected! You are right.

IMO, if you're going to be in a joint venture, sharing revenues and profits, then you really should co-locate with the partners, and that would be at T-8. Now that AA is out of Ch 11, it would be nice to hear that AA and the Port Authority have agreed on the completion of T-8 so that BA and other OW airlines not at T-8 can move there.
I agree that T8 would be a great place to bring in BA at a minimum, hopefully JL, CX and QF as well, though I think for BA to come to T8 they would have to finish construction and build out a few more long-haul gates and some additional lounge space. I'm not even sure how many T8 gates could accommodate a 747, and none have twin jetways. With BA being much less tied into T7 than I previously thought, it seems that such planning would need to begin rather soon.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
For what it's worth, British Airways own T7, so there are slightly more dynamics involved than just moving them to T8 and calling in the bulldozers.
They've talked about it before:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-terminal.html

Also, I don't think you mean that United's presence at EWR is basically zilch except for p.s.; that would be JFK.
Thanks. Fixed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:59 am

I stand corrected! You are right.

I agree that T8 would be a great place to bring in BA at a minimum, hopefully JL, CX and QF as well, though I think for BA to come to T8 they would have to finish construction and build out a few more long-haul gates and some additional lounge space. I'm not even sure how many T8 gates could accommodate a 747, and none have twin jetways. With BA being much less tied into T7 than I previously thought, it seems that such planning would need to begin rather soon.
JAL is a partner in the Terminal One Group which owns JFK T1. I suspect they'd be hard to move out, although with the right incentive anything is possible.

I suspect IAG would see some benefits from consolidating all their brands at one place too. That place could be T7, but T8 makes some sense as long as logistical challenges around 388 and 747s could be addressed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The plan in 1999 was that all 38 mainline gates at T-8 would be 777/747-capable, but I don't think the post-September 11 revisions preserved that. All gates in B (1-16) are widebody gates. 747s have the same wingspan as 77Ws, so they'll fit. Besides, if ground were broken today, the rest of T-8 wouldn't be finished until 2016-17, at the earliest. How many 747s will still be flying for BA then?

Dual jetbridges? Those wouldn't take several years to buy and install.

As for timing, no way it could be built in 18-24 months, so BA would need to sign some short-term lease extensions on T-7 to tide it over until construction was finished.

A380 gates require some construction at almost every airport, so the design of the remaining unbuilt portion of T-8 would certainly account for them.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The plan in 1999 was that all 38 mainline gates at T-8 would be 777/747-capable, but I don't think the post-September 11 revisions preserved that. All gates in B (1-16) are widebody gates. 747s have the same wingspan as 77Ws, so they'll fit. Besides, if ground were broken today, the rest of T-8 wouldn't be finished until 2016-17, at the earliest. How many 747s will still be flying for BA then?

Dual jetbridges? Those wouldn't take several years to buy and install.

As for timing, no way it could be built in 18-24 months, so BA would need to sign some short-term lease extensions on T-7 to tide it over until construction was finished.

A380 gates require some construction at almost every airport, so the design of the remaining unbuilt portion of T-8 would certainly account for them.
I suppose we're in agreement then?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:06 pm

With BA being much less tied into T7 than I previously thought, it seems that such planning would need to begin rather soon.
AIUI a fair bit of planning had already been done, though put on hold due to the bankruptcy. No doubt an important topic of conversation for IAG and the new management...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: One World Emerald/AA Executive Platinum/Qantas Gold/United Premier Gold/most USA airlines
I live near Boise ID (BOI) which currently has no AA or One World airline...but does have USAir. I have 500K miles on AA and over 200K on a One World airline (QF)...and it has been difficult to use these. What is the likelihood that USAir might pull out like AA did a few years ago?

If not mistaken, BOI was one of those places that had AA service cut back when they were getting rid of less profitable routes. Before the merger, I've not heard of USAir having any plans to reduce flights from BOI, so is there any reason to think there will be any similar reductions? I'm excited about the possibility of being able to begin and end from here all on the same airline.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by jmr50
Here's my thoughts:

JFK:

T8 is a solid facility by JFK standards, and while AA is smaller than B6 and DL, the injection of poorly utilized US slots and potentially new wide bodies should permit some growth internationally here. NYC-area is probably the best market in the US for paid C/F traffic too.

Should invest in T8 further, making it the OneWorld "under one roof" site to further support IAG/BA partnership.

If they're smart, they'll try and kill UA on JFK-LAX -- United's presence at JFK is basically zilch aside from P.S., and if JFK-LAX goes, perhaps they and VA/B6 can make JFK-SFO unprofitable enough to get UA to rebase P.S. out of EWR and grab some slots. The demolition of T7 could then commence.

ORD

Again, if they want to get aggressive with United, here's a great place to do it. They're very well positioned for both Asia and Europe, have both strong O&D and connecting marketplace, and can probably chip away at those valuable corporate contracts.

DFW

Fortress hub. Great to see expansion to S. Korea and Hong Kong in 2014, would love to see additional international growth out of here. Perhaps an opportunity with the 788s to try some service to the S. Pacific, although Qantas is a mess. Solid, profitable growth here.

MIA

Gateway to the Americas, concentrate on building the most comprehensive non-stop network to every destination south of the US. Tie that into enough US destinations, and you've got a super competitive 1-stop story there. Domestic connecting in the southeast should shift towards CLT.

LAX

It's a solid O&D market with great corporate contracts for C&F. But the competition is fierce and the facilities need investment and better scheduling/aircraft. More Asia service a must, especially with lie-flats. Can probably de-emphasize the domestic connecting market in favor of PHX, and concentrate on int'l. Should consider OneWorld terminal consolidation here if possible.

PHL

Solid marketplace but a small local market. Make this your connecting point for the northeast instead of LGA or JFK. Keep enough international but don't try and nail every B and C tier European market like they have now, but instead save that for...

CLT

Great market, great position. Some local O&D from finance, but here's where you roll up the entire southeast in a non-constrained location with good weather. It's a bit far for the 752s, but those were crappy economics anyway. Attack Delta's international connecting traffic in ATL and United's dismal IAD with reliable service to Europe. Leave the Americas to MIA. Leave Asia to ORD/DFW. And let JFK concentrate on pure O&D and a more premium mix of seating.

PHX

Shrink down to a focus city or use for western connecting traffic. The question is whether you can make LAX work. If you can, you really don't need PHX and can de-hub by 2016.

Not a hub, but special mention: LGA

If LGA is going to work, you need a new terminal ASAP. DL is doing great stuff with their facility. The Shuttle is a great service, but kinda a one-off. Probably need to fight UA here first, then figure out how to match DL. LGA-ORD is an obvious place to start.
Great summary - would love to get thoughts on what they could/should do in BOS as well, which ought to be an opportunity as well.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by jmr50
Here's my thoughts:

JFK:

T8 is a solid facility by JFK standards, and while AA is smaller than B6 and DL, the injection of poorly utilized US slots and potentially new wide bodies should permit some growth internationally here. NYC-area is probably the best market in the US for paid C/F traffic too.

Should invest in T8 further, making it the OneWorld "under one roof" site to further support IAG/BA partnership.

If they're smart, they'll try and kill UA on JFK-LAX -- United's presence at JFK is basically zilch aside from P.S., and if JFK-LAX goes, perhaps they and VA/B6 can make JFK-SFO unprofitable enough to get UA to rebase P.S. out of EWR and grab some slots. The demolition of T7 could then commence.

ORD

Again, if they want to get aggressive with United, here's a great place to do it. They're very well positioned for both Asia and Europe, have both strong O&D and connecting marketplace, and can probably chip away at those valuable corporate contracts.

DFW

Fortress hub. Great to see expansion to S. Korea and Hong Kong in 2014, would love to see additional international growth out of here. Perhaps an opportunity with the 788s to try some service to the S. Pacific, although Qantas is a mess. Solid, profitable growth here.

MIA

Gateway to the Americas, concentrate on building the most comprehensive non-stop network to every destination south of the US. Tie that into enough US destinations, and you've got a super competitive 1-stop story there. Domestic connecting in the southeast should shift towards CLT.

LAX

It's a solid O&D market with great corporate contracts for C&F. But the competition is fierce and the facilities need investment and better scheduling/aircraft. More Asia service a must, especially with lie-flats. Can probably de-emphasize the domestic connecting market in favor of PHX, and concentrate on int'l. Should consider OneWorld terminal consolidation here if possible.

PHL

Solid marketplace but a small local market. Make this your connecting point for the northeast instead of LGA or JFK. Keep enough international but don't try and nail every B and C tier European market like they have now, but instead save that for...

CLT

Great market, great position. Some local O&D from finance, but here's where you roll up the entire southeast in a non-constrained location with good weather. It's a bit far for the 752s, but those were crappy economics anyway. Attack Delta's international connecting traffic in ATL and United's dismal IAD with reliable service to Europe. Leave the Americas to MIA. Leave Asia to ORD/DFW. And let JFK concentrate on pure O&D and a more premium mix of seating.

PHX

Shrink down to a focus city or use for western connecting traffic. The question is whether you can make LAX work. If you can, you really don't need PHX and can de-hub by 2016.

Not a hub, but special mention: LGA

If LGA is going to work, you need a new terminal ASAP. DL is doing great stuff with their facility. The Shuttle is a great service, but kinda a one-off. Probably need to fight UA here first, then figure out how to match DL. LGA-ORD is an obvious place to start.

I realize PHX is definitely going to see a reduction in service, but its not going to be totally dehubbed like CLE/MEM/CVG. PHX has a lot more O&D (albeit mostly leisure traffic) traffic than those and a sizable local population that's almost entirely reliant on air travel to get out of the state (no trains, and by car LA and SD are 5 hours away and Vegas is about 6) and except for the summer (when locals fleeing the scene take over for tourist traffic) its a very popular tourist destination. Furthermore, LAX can't accommodate all of the connecting traffic that is currently routed through PHX (AA can't even currently fit the few US flights ex-LAX into T4 as it is). It would have to move a lot of that traffic to DFW if they were going to dehub and that would completely ignore the large passenger base in the city itself. I could see it becoming more like DEN or even SLC, but not completely dehubbed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I had to travel from SAN to cities in Mexico (GDL for example) for work a lot this year. The best connections were on US through PHX. I thought the airport is easy to navigate (I like walking) and immigrations/customs was super quick.

With AA I had to go all the way to DFW which added 2-3hrs to the travel time. AS from LAX has limited service. Nothing like US from PHX
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by chasgoose
I realize PHX is definitely going to see a reduction in service, but its not going to be totally dehubbed like CLE/MEM/CVG. PHX has a lot more O&D (albeit mostly leisure traffic) traffic than those and a sizable local population that's almost entirely reliant on air travel to get out of the state (no trains, and by car LA and SD are 5 hours away and Vegas is about 6) and except for the summer (when locals fleeing the scene take over for tourist traffic) its a very popular tourist destination. Furthermore, LAX can't accommodate all of the connecting traffic that is currently routed through PHX (AA can't even currently fit the few US flights ex-LAX into T4 as it is). It would have to move a lot of that traffic to DFW if they were going to dehub and that would completely ignore the large passenger base in the city itself. I could see it becoming more like DEN or even SLC, but not completely dehubbed.
The problem with PHX is a lack of businesses. Not a single $1billion revenue in the INC5000 in the area in 2012: http://www.inc.com/inc5000/list/2012...enix/x/revenue

Population-wise, it's bigger than Cleveland or Minneapolis, but leisure-only destinations are tough to justify big investment. From a investment perspective, AA would be way better off making a play for Boston (#6 MSA) and putting the PHX market into harvest mode.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Contrary to what is imagined, ORD is actually closer in air miles to most Western European cities than CLT! (although by looking at a Mercator map, it just doesn't appear to be so). Then there is the 3rd strongest O&D market in the country. And and someone has already pointed out, AA has the larger share of the lucrative O&D market in the metro.

It just doesn't make sense to build up international at PHL when a stronger market is available elsewhere.
While the ORD-Europe flights are marginally shorter in distance than CLT-Europe flights, the majority of USA-Europe traffic is to/from destinations east of ORD. And in many cases, the domestic flight to ORD is longer than into Charlotte. Even BOS-CLT is slightly shorter than BOS-ORD. Then there's PHL. Which is closer than either to Europe. And less "backtracking" for a lot of markets. So while JFK will have the most transatlantic flights. They will be mostly for O&D purposes. There will never be enough connecting feed into those flights, except from the largest domestic markets. So those passengers from other markets will have to connect somewhere else. And the one airport which makes the most sense for this is PHL.

As for CLT. There will still be flights to Europe. I expect to see at least two flights to LHR. FRA (while no longer having Star feed) will likely stay as well. There is a lot of miltary traffic on that flight. MAD will now have OW feed on both ends. And I see a possibilty for CLT-DUS to start for that very same reason. The area around DUS has the highest population concentration in Germany. CDG, FCO, DUB, and maybe MAN will probably be flown in the spring/summer months. Coach tickets to Europe (including the connecting traffic) are not cheap anymore, even in the wintertime. If the demand is there, then why not connect them through CLT. Which will have the lowest hub costs in the network.

Last edited by Fanjet; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
For what it's worth, British Airways own T7, so there are slightly more dynamics involved than just moving them to T8 and calling in the bulldozers. Also, I don't think you mean that United's presence at EWR is basically zilch except for p.s.; that would be JFK.
I thought BA was in in T7 under a lease agreement. They spent several million $20?) fifteen years ago on renovations, which would make that investment merely a leasehold improvement. However it is a terminal that has no flow and small waiting areas.

Edit - fwaaa responded to lease comment. I posted before reading.

Last edited by george 3; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA,DL
People that Say Phx is going can be shifted over to DFW Are obviously not from the west coast..

I like mileage runs but when I'm traveling for business or Leisure on a tight scedual or a weekend trip I can't afford to travel from Lax to most places in the western US Tru Dal. Ill be back tracking huge for most destinations what a joke..

AA at lax can't even even absorb the Small US operation and will only be left with on gate in T-3..

If AA give up Phx they give up any hope of have a presence on the west coast besides what they have now. And if AS and AA were to lose there partnership it will be really a pain to fly around this half of the country..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.