Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
See above. Lots more PHL O&D to TLV than PHL O&D to EDI, and yet PHL-TLV was a long-term loser.

The world's biggest airline (new AA) appears to be continuing the pmUS management policy of not aggressively serving NYC, ostensibly because of the competition from UA and DL. If not now, then when?

There aren't any more mergers on the horizon that will better enable AA to compete in NYC, unless they're waiting for B6 to seek out a merger partner. US flew the white flag several years ago in giving away most of its non-hub, non-shuttle slots at LGA when it was still single, and now, as the world's largest airline, with the biggest, most under-utilized terminal at JFK, is still shying away from competing there?
PHL-TLV is a bit different in that it took up two 332's while PHL-EDI takes up a 752, but yes the point remains JFK definitely has more O&D.

Technically new AA would also be following the PMAA management policy of not aggressively serving JFK. What remains to be seen is based on the recent crew news what does a JFK O&D international operation look like and what does a PHL international connection operation look like. Does PHL retain destinations like SNN, LIS, ATH, BRU or do they go to JFK where the O&D is.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Austin787
The US management team (and the former AA management for that matter) seems content to have a token presence in NYC - mainly flights to other hubs and a few profitable flights to other non-hubs.
I agree. I know some people here keep saying that JFK will be the TATL hub for AA and the other hubs may just get a handful of flights to the big European cities (LHR, MAD, etc.). However, current AA management has given no indication this is the case. Whether someone agrees this would be the best move or not for the business is purely an opinion and one that is based on significantly less information than the people that work for AA that make these decisions.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Did you or did you not see freshly pained MD-80's in STL?
I can answer that for him, he didn't, because they don't exist.

STL has always been an MD80 stronghold, even when AA had greater service there in the post-merger years. Unfortunately, many of those flights have now gone regional.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Austin787
Just a rumor now, but PHL-EDI makes more sense than JFK-EDI: lots more connections available at PHL and no competition on the route.
There is definitely a lot more O&D between JFK and EDI, than PHL and EDI. Moreover, I think that most of the connecting traffic to/from EDI is also served from JFK (LAS/LAX/SFO/MCO/MIA/DCA/BOS). A flight that carries more O&D traffic needs less connecting traffic to fill the plane.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
See PHL-TLV as the sharp stick to poke holes in the viability of PHL-EDI.
I refrained from mentioning that, but that's what I meant by saying that it will be interesting to see what AA's data apparently say after one summer of operating JFK-EDI.

I do suspect that USA-TLV O&D is much more concentrated in NYC than USA-EDI O&D. That may be less true of EDI-USA O&D; Scots may mostly want to visit NYC, but Americans from all over may want to visit Scotland (or have business there -- being a person who is actually periodically a nonstop PHL-EDI business traveler.).
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Isn't that basically the same logic that we were told made PHL-TLV such a winner?

With UA and DL both flying NYC-EDI, that's some evidence of the center of the O&D market - NYC. My guess is that of the Scots who say "Let's go to the States for holiday," a lot more of them are thinking New York City and very few are thinking Philadelphia. And of the people in the USA saying "Let's go to Scotland this summer," practically none of them reside in the Philadelphia metro area. NYC? Yep.

See PHL-TLV as the sharp stick to poke holes in the viability of PHL-EDI.
Comparing PHL-TLV to PHL-EDI seems a bit disingenuous; the customer base for a TLV flight is very very concentrated in NYC. NYC has the largest Jewish population in the world with strong Orthodox and Hasidic communities that I believe make up a large part of the market for such a flight. Basing that flight out of Philly was a terrible idea except on a "where do we have gates and A330s" especially given how painful it is to connect NYC-PHL.

An east coast-EDI flight doesn't have the same level of concentration. Sure more people from NYC than PHL are likely to want to go to EDI; that's a factor of population. But it's also a flight that's likely to see a lot more people connecting from elsewhere in the US to/from it than the TLV flight.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Do remember, its not as if JFK is totally isolated from the rest of the AA system and operates as an independent entity.

You can make a lot of connections into JFK from cities like IND, ORF, ORD, DCA, BNA, RDU, PIT, etc.

Some options result in a connection time that is longer than others on some routings, but you can ferry traffic through there.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
If MDs are being phased out, someone forgot to tell the AA staff at Lambert (STL) airport.

We see freshly painted/new livery MDs there every day, along with a raft of still-shiny ones. Tack on the growing number of Embraers and CRJs, and you begin to see why STL residents joke that if an AA plane of 737 or larger size appears at STL, we assume it's lost.
Are you sure about that? If so it contradicts what is being reported in this article. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-of-2017.html/

"– Airplanes that are to be retired won’t get the new paint, and yes, we’re talking about the McDonnell Douglas MD-80s."
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I was once on a plane that was taken out of service due to 'too many square inches of peeling paint".

Id guess that when a plane needs paint it gets painted- with whatever livery exists. But that they dont get paint for just cosmetic reasons if that airframe is set to retire soon.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I was once on a plane that was taken out of service due to 'too many square inches of peeling paint".

Id guess that when a plane needs paint it gets painted- with whatever livery exists. But that they dont get paint for just cosmetic reasons if that airframe is set to retire soon.
However, the MD80s don't have that much paint applied to them. And they're all slated for retirement in less than two years. I'm beginning to think what was witnessed at STL was a CR9 instead.

On the topic of EDI, does anyone know if AA had to use an alloted slot for that service; or were they given one additionally because no JFK-EDI service had existed at that point?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by cbn42
I am a bit surprised at all the extra US-NZ service that is being announced lately. Air New Zealand currently has a monopoly on this entire market if you look at nonstop routes. Even Qantas, which is a top-notch airline, couldn't compete and had to drop out a few years ago.

Now, all of a sudden, UA has announced a new route from SFO, NZ has announced a new route from IAH, and AA looks like it will be announcing a new route as well. How much service can such a small country handle? I know it's also good for connections to Australia, but US-Australia is seeing an increase in capacity as well (QF at SFO, AA at LAX).

For passengers, this will be great while it lasts, but I don't think it's going to last too long. Someone is going to blink very soon.

Edit: I am referring to mainland US. I know Hawaii is also part of the US, and has service to NZ on HA.
With IAH starting 5x weekly over peak season, NZ dropped 2x weekly frequencies on LAX and 1x on SFO over the NZ summer peak to make LAX 16x weekly + 1x weekly via RAR and SFO 9x weekly. (so a net gain of only 2x weekly flights), its not quite as much new service as you might first think.

SFO is starting at 3x weekly 787-8 in July (low season), then gradually increasing to daily 787-9 in time for the peak 2016/17 season. It is likely that NZ will drop its 2nd flight by this time to make SFO 1x daily NZ & 1x daily UA (as NZs 2nd flight has very similar timings to UAs proposed timings)

Also of note, is that whilst New Zealand is a small country (4.6 million) it is seen as a very high end, desirable destination that is very popular with Americans. Its people are (along with Australia) the worlds most travelled per capita and it is a market that has seen huge growth in travellers in both directions in recent years. I dont see any issue in AA being successful with a route to AKL.

Also, 1/3 of those travelling between the US & NZ are doing so via Australia. Probably due to cost (99% of the time its cheaper via Australia than Nonstop, despite the detour), and only *Alliance options available non-stop. Certainly something AA could tap into by offering lower fares and a OW option on the route.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Still no word of this "imminent" AKL announcement! I'm very impatient
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hilton Silver, Hertz Gold
How about a route between PHL and JFK? They are now both hubs in the New American system, and although they both have transatlantic service, passengers in cities that only fly to PHL may need to fly to destinations that only JFK flies to. Large scale service is probably not necessary, but a few RJs like they send to EWR would make sense.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommer419
How about a route between PHL and JFK? They are now both hubs in the New American system, and although they both have transatlantic service, passengers in cities that only fly to PHL may need to fly to destinations that only JFK flies to. Large scale service is probably not necessary, but a few RJs like they send to EWR would make sense.
I'm surprised a 1X daily PHL-JFK hasn't popped up yet. Perhaps one will be loaded for the spring travel season. It could be done with a simple positioning flight (xxx-JFK-PHL-xxx/yyy/zzz and vv). Maybe even a IAD-JFK flight as well, to offer an alternative for UA's service to Europe/S. America at IAD.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:05 pm

NZ AKL Route

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Hearing LAXAKL announcement might be coming sooner rather than later.
I'd be in heaven. I've been to NZ 5 times in the past 10 months!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.