Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I was speaking to a pilot yesterday. He said he heard that PHL-EDI will be back in 2016 (and JFK-EDI will be removed). He also said it will be operated by a 757.

This is just a single data point, and cannot be confirmed with AA, but that is what the pilot said for what it is worth.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I was speaking to a pilot yesterday. He said he heard that PHL-EDI will be back in 2016 (and JFK-EDI will be removed). He also said it will be operated by a 757.

This is just a single data point, and cannot be confirmed with AA, but that is what the pilot said for what it is worth.
If this is true. I wonder if its Americans reaction to Delta staring year round JFK-EDI service starting Summer 2016?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:15 pm

AA has scheduled a 2-off E175 into CRW, 4pm turn to CLT and RON in CRW going to CRW on 12/24-12/25. First time we've ever had a revenue 175 in CRW on any carrier. Hoping to see it later on but no word yet.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by Cltfc
If this is true. I wonder if its Americans reaction to Delta staring year round JFK-EDI service starting Summer 2016?
NYC-EDI in the summer is a packed market with UA going double-daily and now DL, so AA is probably making a wise decision to revert to the PHL-EDI route (which offers a larger range of connections, anyway).
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:59 am

Don't wish to be the party pooper here, but you should always take rumours from pilots and F/As (including me) with a pinch of salt.

After the cancellation of CLT-Manchester, a lot pilots and F/As were told by the US Airways Manchester station manager that CLT-MAN would return in 2016. And that the reason that the 757 didn't work on CLT-MAN was that the 757 couldn't carry containerized cargo and that US lost money on cargo side.

Yeah it would be great if PHL-EDI came back but I guess I'm staying dot get your hopes up too much.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
If MDs are being phased out, someone forgot to tell the AA staff at Lambert (STL) airport.

We see freshly painted/new livery MDs there every day, along with a raft of still-shiny ones. Tack on the growing number of Embraers and CRJs, and you begin to see why STL residents joke that if an AA plane of 737 or larger size appears at STL, we assume it's lost.
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
I'm flying out of STL in a few weeks, so I'll keep an eye out. I could have sworn I've seen some though. I could be wrong though, but I'll at least give it a look.
Did you or did you not see freshly pained MD-80's in STL?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Yeah it would be great if PHL-EDI came back but I guess I'm staying dot get your hopes up too much.
Just a rumor now, but PHL-EDI makes more sense than JFK-EDI: lots more connections available at PHL and no competition on the route.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Austin787
Just a rumor now, but PHL-EDI makes more sense than JFK-EDI: lots more connections available at PHL and no competition on the route.
Lot's more connections, sure, but you have to realize that JFK has all the important connections covered - Miami, Orlando, LA, Chicago, Washington, Boston, LA, SF and Las Vegas. That right there is probably 80% of the EDI-U.S. market.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Lot's more connections, sure, but you have to realize that JFK has all the important connections covered - Miami, Orlando, LA, Chicago, Washington, Boston, LA, SF and Las Vegas. That right there is probably 80% of the EDI-U.S. market.
Although all of those already have one-stop service via LHR (and with a wide body across the pond). PHL adds one-stop service from numerous markets without LHR service, plus competition-free nonstop service. So it will be somewhat illustrative to see what AA does next summer with a year of data competing in the JFK-EDI nonstop market.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Although all of those already have one-stop service via LHR (and with a wide body across the pond). PHL adds one-stop service from numerous markets without LHR service, plus competition-free nonstop service. So it will be somewhat illustrative to see what AA does next summer with a year of data competing in the JFK-EDI nonstop market.
Remember NYC has such high O&D you don't need as many connections to fill a flight some O&D and a handfull of connections from a few major cities can fill a flight . Last year, there was no Non stop from JFK to EDI, this year Delta has announced non stop year round JFK-EDI service. So the question becomes how much of the local O&D does AA lose to Delta and does it make sense to compete with Delta, move the flight to PHL or exit the market.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
NYC-EDI in the summer is a packed market with UA going double-daily and now DL, so AA is probably making a wise decision to revert to the PHL-EDI route (which offers a larger range of connections, anyway).
Isn't that basically the same logic that we were told made PHL-TLV such a winner?

With UA and DL both flying NYC-EDI, that's some evidence of the center of the O&D market - NYC. My guess is that of the Scots who say "Let's go to the States for holiday," a lot more of them are thinking New York City and very few are thinking Philadelphia. And of the people in the USA saying "Let's go to Scotland this summer," practically none of them reside in the Philadelphia metro area. NYC? Yep.

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Wouldn't surprise me to see PHL return - hope springs eternal ("Maybe this is the year that we can attract higher yields from PHL and CLT").

Originally Posted by Austin787
See above. Lots more PHL O&D to TLV than PHL O&D to EDI, and yet PHL-TLV was a long-term loser.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Exactly. Isn't NYC one of the top O&D markets for secondary European cities? As in NYC has substantially higher O&D than, say, PHL or CLT?

Originally Posted by ashill
See PHL-TLV as the sharp stick to poke holes in the viability of PHL-EDI.

The world's biggest airline (new AA) appears to be continuing the pmUS management policy of not aggressively serving NYC, ostensibly because of the competition from UA and DL. If not now, then when?

There aren't any more mergers on the horizon that will better enable AA to compete in NYC, unless they're waiting for B6 to seek out a merger partner. US flew the white flag several years ago in giving away most of its non-hub, non-shuttle slots at LGA when it was still single, and now, as the world's largest airline, with the biggest, most under-utilized terminal at JFK, is still shying away from competing there?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The world's biggest airline (new AA) appears to be continuing the pmUS management policy of not aggressively serving NYC, ostensibly because of the competition from UA and DL. If not now, then when?

There aren't any more mergers on the horizon that will better enable AA to compete in NYC, unless they're waiting for B6 to seek out a merger partner. US flew the white flag several years ago in giving away most of its non-hub, non-shuttle slots at LGA when it was still single, and now, as the world's largest airline, with the biggest, most under-utilized terminal at JFK, is still shying away from competing there?
Remember, from a management perspective AA is pmUS. It is the same leadership team that existed at US Airways. Whether or not you agree with their thinking is up to you, but that is a fact that cannot be argued. If that team thinks PHL is better to serve as a TATL hub than JFK, then that's all that matters. What people on FlyerTalk think or what pmAA thought is irrelevant to them.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, from a management perspective AA is pmUS. It is the same leadership team that existed at US Airways. Whether or not you agree with their thinking is up to you, but that is a fact that cannot be argued. If that team thinks PHL is better to serve as a TATL hub than JFK, then that's all that matters. What people on FlyerTalk think or what pmAA thought is irrelevant to them.
You're preachin' to the choir, brother.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Cltfc
Remember NYC has such high O&D you don't need as many connections to fill a flight some O&D and a handfull of connections from a few major cities can fill a flight . Last year, there was no Non stop from JFK to EDI, this year Delta has announced non stop year round JFK-EDI service. So the question becomes how much of the local O&D does AA lose to Delta and does it make sense to compete with Delta, move the flight to PHL or exit the market.
Delta is plainly doing this to try to drive AA out so it is indeed interesting to see what their reaction will be. I predict they will hold.

JFK does indeed have the important connections. How many people do you really think are traveling CRW-EDI or MKE-EDI or RSW-EDI?

This reminds me of a recent article on the Qantas DFW-SYD service. It said that the top stations feeding the flight are BOS, MCO, DCA, LGA and IAH. The fact that DFW is AA's largest hub is relatively meaningless for the route. Again, how many people do you really think are flying TUL-SYD or CMI-SYD or JAX-SYD?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly. Isn't NYC one of the top O&D markets for secondary European cities? As in NYC has substantially higher O&D than, say, PHL or CLT?
But NYC has substantially more competition for that O&D traffic than PHL or CLT. Which impacts profits.

The US management team (and the former AA management for that matter) seems content to have a token presence in NYC - mainly flights to other hubs and a few profitable flights to other non-hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.