Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Well, this announcement will clarify two questions that have been raised on this board. I would say the odds are heavily in favour of LAX-AKL instead of DFW-AKL. (The latter makes little sense as the total volume of traffic to AKL is heavily skewed towards the West Coast rather than the Central US.) Also, what specific equipment will be operating the route. I doubt this route would be under consideration without the Dreamliner. Could this potentially be the first 789 route? The first one is tentatively schedule to be delivered in ten months, assuming AA has chosen a J seat supplier that can deliver the seats by then. Slightly off topic, will the planned configuration of 28J/261Y change with the new J seats? Its still a VERY low premium ratio plane, but perfect for LAX-AKL.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
From what I read Parker and Joyce will be announcing 'something' from Wellington tomorrow at 12N NZ time.

Not sure if it is a new PDB policy or LAX-AKL.....
It's currently 2:45pm tomorrow in NZ...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Longboater
Well, this announcement will clarify two questions that have been raised on this board. I would say the odds are heavily in favour of LAX-AKL instead of DFW-AKL. (The latter makes little sense as the total volume of traffic to AKL is heavily skewed towards the West Coast rather than the Central US.) Also, what specific equipment will be operating the route. I doubt this route would be under consideration without the Dreamliner. Could this potentially be the first 789 route?
What's wrong with the 788? Even QF was flying LAX-AKL with a 332 before dropping the service.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Fanjet
What's wrong with the 788? Even QF was flying LAX-AKL with a 332 before dropping the service.
789>788, its not even close. I would not be surprised to see this route start out as a 788 and eventually end up as a 789. The Dreamliner is MUCH more fuel efficient than the 332 QF used. More importantly, the Dreamliner will not be subjected to the weight restrictions as the 332 constantly suffered and carry quite a bit of cargo. (A full belly of cargo for the 789.) Given AKL's yields are not the highest in the world, makes sense to have a large Y cabin and a relatively small J cabin.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by DWFI
Correction. The people who would fly it wouldn't pay enough to make it profitable.

Filling a plane is easy. Filling a plane profitably, not so much.
I disagree. I mean they could think that, but I think it would be profitable. They could replace one flight to Chicago and one to Dallas with this redeye. I know it would work. The aa loads to Dallas out of Abq are great.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I disagree. I mean they could think that, but it would be profitable. They could replace one plane to Chicago and one to Dallas with this redeye. I know it would work. The aa loads to Dallas out of Abq are great.
Just curious: which unique destinations would MIA service that DFW doesn't through this red-eye flight? The most popular destinations from that list could eventually be serviced from DFW too.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:59 pm

On TB, it's been confirmed it will be LAX-AKL.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Just curious: which unique destinations would MIA service that DFW doesn't through this red-eye flight? The most popular destinations from that list could eventually be serviced from DFW too.
Any early morning northeast flights, pop, sju, sti, sdq etc etc etc
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
There is also a press conference in Los Angeles tomorrow.

Purely speculative on my part, but wonder if AA will also be announcing some more LAX domestic flying.

Previous announcements like LAXPVG and LAXGRU (but not LAXSYD) also were joined by significant domestic LAX expansion.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2015 on)

If there's another international route announcement other than LAX-AKL from LAX, my hunch would be LAX-CDG on B788.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
There is also a press conference in Los Angeles tomorrow.

Purely speculative on my part, but wonder if AA will also be announcing some more LAX domestic flying.

Previous announcements like LAXPVG and LAXGRU (but not LAXSYD) also were joined by significant domestic LAX expansion.
Question is where is the room to expand? Since you are pretty well in the know about AA at LAX, have any idea of when those dedicated gates at TBIT go to AA along with the connecting tunnel? The LAX-PVG/GRU were along the lines of appropriate and much needed downgauging.

On an unrelated note, JonNYC mentioned there will be further cuts/adds in the coming weeks to the international route on TB. I assume the next couple of 787 routes will be announced shortly as the two scheduled for delivery in February have yet to be assigned to a particular route or two. I will go out on a limb and say that by the end of next year, ORD-PEK/PVG will be Dreamliner routes. (Would not be surprised if they are the next in line to become 788 routes.)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:36 pm

Slightly off topic, will the planned configuration of 28J/261Y change with the new J seats? Its still a VERY low premium ratio plane, but perfect for LAX-AKL.
I didn't think AA had said anything about 789 seating yet?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sagechan
I didn't think AA had said anything about 789 seating yet?
JonNYC revealed the configuration a year ago.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:06 pm
Suspended

JonNYC revealed the configuration a year ago.
Thanks

There was this detail, which I -assume- (but can't say I know for 100% sure) is still accurate:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...62&postcount=7

28/51/210 (J/MCE/Y)

[789] is 7 rows of J between doors 1 and 2 then rows 8-22 of coach before door 3 then 23-38 after. MCE is confusing because the center seats in some rows are normal coach while the ones on the outsides of the aisle are MCE.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Question is where is the room to expand? Since you are pretty well in the know about AA at LAX, have any idea of when those dedicated gates at TBIT go to AA along with the connecting tunnel?
Even though the TBIT connector - which BTW is not a tunnel - is still under construction, AA is already using as many as four TBIT gates at a time (153,155, 157 and 159).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.