Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beyondhere
I was looking at 2014 PDEW data between PHL and domestic cities, and noticed that MSN PHL has close to 80 PDEW except for Q1. If AA added a nonstop, that number would probably increase to 110 PDEW or so. It's 764 mile distance and it overflies ORD, but it only overflies one other hub that is ORD.
I looked at the data, and PHL-MSN is about 80 total passengers daily, or about 40 PDEW. With service to both ORD and DFW, very few destinations would require a double connect.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I looked at the data, and PHL-MSN is about 80 total passengers daily, or about 40 PDEW. With service to both ORD and DFW, very few destinations would require a double connect.
Originally Posted by ashill
I hadn't realized the PHL-MSN O&D is that high.
My mistake. I forgot to divide by 2. Assuming a similar percentage stimulation increase with a nonstop, would it be enough O&D and connection benefit to make one daily work, or atleast seasonally (outside of Q1)? There might be double connects to secondary cities in the NE like PVD, and secondary European cities that AA at ORD doesn't have a nonstop.

It does seem one of the very few domestic routes, if possible, that AA could add at PHL.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:16 am

Someone mentioned that the PHL-AUS schedule was not that great and operationally restrictive because AA generally had to fly the aircraft PHL-AUS-PHL. My thought is that once cross-fleeting kicks into gear AA might be able to operate PHL-AUS or others with a better schedule and be more effective in routing the aircraft throughout the system.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Phoenix-Memphis, Phoenix-McAllen, Phoenix-Lubbock, Phoenix-Roswell and O'Hare-Albany launch March 3rd; bookable tomorrow.

Last edited by MAH4546; Nov 13, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Assuming a similar percentage stimulation increase with a nonstop, would it be enough O&D and connection benefit to make one daily work, or atleast seasonally (outside of Q1)? There might be double connects to secondary cities in the NE like PVD, and secondary European cities that AA at ORD doesn't have a nonstop.
I'd assume it would be a single daily flight based on those O&D numbers, but it's tough to time a single flight to serve the consultant O&D, Europe connections, and domestic connections to the small cities that don't have service via ORD or DFW already.

But O&D from MSN is probably more fungible than most due to the proximity to ORD and MKE. When I'm going to Madison (and when I lived there), I take a nonstop to MKE or sometimes ORD or even MDW over a connecting itinerary to MSN, so I wouldn't get recorded as MSN O&D. So maybe your stimulation guess isn't crazy; I have no idea.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Phoenix-Memphis, Phoenix-McAllen, Phoenix-Lubbock, Phoenix-Roswell and O'Hare-Albany launch March 3rd; bookable tomorrow.
Finally we're starting to see ORD service to former US stations in the northeast. And I'm kind of surprised that it took them this long to start PHX-MEM after the DL draw-down. They were rather quick with PHX-CLE after UA's draw-down there.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Finally we're starting to see ORD service to former US stations in the northeast. And I'm kind of surprised that it took them this long to start PHX-MEM after the DL draw-down. They were rather quick with PHX-CLE after UA's draw-down there.
AA I believe is now the largest carrier at MEM. Wonder if they'll maybe add a daily ERJ-175 to LAX.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
There was supposed to be a warm-weather weekly seasonal add from BOS (most likely AUA and maybe NAS or SXM instead). Any word on this one?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:46 pm

Come on ORD-PWM
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I remember LAX-ROW that existed a few years ago on AA. Glad to see PHX-ROW which will allow for easy connections from California. I would love to see aliens and UFOs.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Xero
I remember LAX-ROW that existed a few years ago on AA. Glad to see PHX-ROW which will allow for easy connections from California. I would love to see aliens and UFOs.
Awesome!! You don't have go through DFW anymore. You can go through from PHX to ROW and it's right choice for everyone. It's much easier. No, you can't see aliens, but there is no aliens out there.

Finally!! PHX needs more new routes. It's long overdue!!!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And I'm kind of surprised that it took them this long to start PHX-MEM after the DL draw-down. They were rather quick with PHX-CLE after UA's draw-down there.
Both PHX-CLE and PHX-MEM were existing US/HP routes in the past. I personally flew PHX-CLE a few times.
PHX-MEM was I believe 2x daily on CRJ-900 -v- A319 on NW. Kind of a no-brainer to go with mainline, unless you were that set on miles.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:29 pm

Good pickups out of PHX and for ALB. PHX is doing what PHX will do, be a primarily domestic and Mexico/western Canada connecting point with decent mid-yield O/D. You can't move all the flying to LAX, and DFW is too far east, so PHX will get some adjustments, probably pick up some more west of Mississippi AA cities and stay about the same size. Wouldn't be too surprised to see some of the LAX rjs get upgraded over time though. As for ALB, ORD makes sense, decently sized market, and can take some of the western bound traffic from having to backtrack.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sagechan
As for ALB, ORD makes sense, decently sized market, and can take some of the western bound traffic from having to backtrack.
Also gives an option for AA that avoids the crowded northeast airspace.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Glad to see ALB-ORD announced. The agents at ALB have been speculating for over a year that ORD was coming, glad to find out it was more than just a rumor.

Frequent trips to SEA had me do a DL challenge this summer because the AA options to/from SEA at ALB are terrible, most requiring a double connection. Combined with the elimination of the 0530 PHL flight which kills a ton of connection options, switching of additional PHL flights to CRJs, and switching several DCA E170/175 flights to CRJs out of 35X (including the late DCA-ALB that I and several coworkers take regularly), it hasn't been a good year for AA service at ALB. Know at least 3 others at work who switched to DL this year for similar reasons. It seems odd considering load factors have been hovering at/above 90% at ALB over the past year and fares are among the highest in the northeast.

Hopefully the new ORD flights open up some better routings, especially westward. With 0700 now being the first flight out to PHL, DL is eating AA's lunch when it comes to morning business travelers. DL gates are packed every morning for the early flights out to ATL/DTW/MSP. 0700 PHL flight arrives too late to make most of the early connection options (how do you have 6x daily service to a hub and the first flight is at 7am?) and the 0640 CLT flight is not any better. Only DCA still has an actual early flight varying between 0530 and 0600 but connection options are limited at DCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.