Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE:

The current thread can be found here: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up Update

A lot of time, flights and incredibly long time spent at ORD waiting for weather-delayed planes have taken place since I first posted my request for suggestions but here is what actually developed.

Shortly before Christmas, I asked a GA on an ORD-STL flight if I could use my incredibly inexpensive ORD-LGA ticket on the flight. She was incredulous as to why I would want to detour in such a fashion and even after I explained the reasons, she remained baffled. Nevertheless, she boarded me on the ½ empty flight and advised me to request clearance as a standby for the next STL-LGA upon my arrival in STL. I followed her directions and easily boarded another ½ empty flight to LGA.

I received 500 miles for each segment and, consequently, just barely edged over 20,000 miles for the year ending February 28. Without having to request anything, I was awarded 4 more upgrade passes AND I also qualified for the “Fly-3 times to ORD, get 25,000 extra miles promotion.”

Now, I hope to actually use those upgrades on future flights between LGA-ORD, not an easy goal as few first-class upgrade seats become available on MD-80s on Friday afternoons.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Just called and told No. Was told since I did this last year... no dice this year.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:12 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by schriste
Just called and told No. Was told since I did this last year... no dice this year.
Call again. I did it last year (received 3 upgrades for approximately 8000 miles), as well as just yesterday. Received 2 upgrades for 6600 miles. They showed up in my account overnight. ^
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by tudorcity
Call again. I did it last year (received 3 upgrades for approximately 8000 miles), as well as just yesterday. Received 2 upgrades for 6600 miles. They showed up in my account overnight. ^
Definitely call again. My experience is very similar to tudorcity's.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by schriste
Your profile says you are EXP. EXPs don't earn upgrade stickers.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Your profile says you are EXP. EXPs don't earn upgrade stickers.
Yes I know... I was calling for my girl friends account.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: aa plat in funkytown tx
^ ^ i just called for my self, girlfriend, and her parents. we each were offered 2 upgrades. we all had roughly x6600 miles.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
I have 16 miles towards upgrades. Do you think if I call I can get a pass to sit up front for like 5 minutes or so of my next flight?

JK!!!! Happy New AA Year to everyone!
No, but we did arrange for you to be able to use the F lav...

PS - For Mrs. CO FF, 6104 = 2 stickers; less than 3 minutes on the phone. I had 10xx, so I didn't bother asking for myself.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CO FF
No, but we did arrange for you to be able to use the F lav...

PS - For Mrs. CO FF, 6104 = 2 stickers; less than 3 minutes on the phone. I had 10xx, so I didn't bother asking for myself.
got 2 for 5500, via online contact aa form
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
2 for 7600, via online form.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:44 am

After failure by phone tried email... got 2 for 8,670 miles.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Seems like the online approach yields a stingier response. Calling seems to get about 1 sticker per 2500 miles. Online seems to get 2 in cases where a call seems to get 3. Not scientific, of course...just based on prior personal experience and what I'm reading here.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
called AACS on 2/27, they said they would process on 3/1, this morning 4 "courtesy" upgrades posted. i had 29,945 miles toward upgrade. CS was very nice on the phone and said "that was close enough" for 4. i guess luck of the draw to get a really nice CS rep on the phone. (i did have to wait 10 minutes on hold though!). I called the regular CS line, not Gold line.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
I called the regular CS line, not Gold line.
AAdvantage CS and the Gold line will take you to the same place -- the Gold line only gets you through the queue faster.

Mike
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SGP PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt PLT
Just called and got 2 for 7444 miles. Look forward to 3, but satisfied with 2. The CS initially said no, but then said "i think some new notes just came out to them." After he did some research, he gave me 2 upgrades stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.