Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE:

The current thread can be found here: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They expect you to exhibit a pattern of inability to use them and they look at your record. Paid full fare or paid F/J or nothing but international flights where they are unable to be used at all. A lot of miles upgrades helps too. Don't expect it to be automatic.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I called today and got 2 for my 7409 miles. I was on hold for a while because I think she was talking to someone trying to figure out what to do.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by chiproos
Miles Towards Elite Upgrades: 27,742 So I'm entitled to 2 upgrade segments and 8 miles shy of the third. The CR was very nice but told me she could give me the two upgrade segments with no problem but had to check on the third. She came back and said there was nothing she could do about it.
Colour me dim on this but just to be very clear, the policy is that you get 4x500 mile upgrade "stickers" for every 10,000 miles flown. You have received 8x500 stickers already (for your first 20,000 miles flown) and AA have given you another 2x500 mile upgrade stickers? Seems overly generours of them.

I ahve 53722 miles towards elite upgrade - I guess I should call AA and ask for my extra sticker... Seems a bit of pointless policy from AA to require blocks of 10,000 if they will give them out for blocks of 2,500...
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Originally Posted by simongr
Seems a bit of pointless policy from AA to require blocks of 10,000 if they will give them out for blocks of 2,500...
It's even equally as pointless as requiring them to be spent in 500mi increments instead of the actual distance of the flight.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by simongr
Colour me dim on this but just to be very clear, the policy is that you get 4x500 mile upgrade "stickers" for every 10,000 miles flown. You have received 8x500 stickers already (for your first 20,000 miles flown) and AA have given you another 2x500 mile upgrade stickers? Seems overly generours of them.

I ahve 53722 miles towards elite upgrade - I guess I should call AA and ask for my extra sticker... Seems a bit of pointless policy from AA to require blocks of 10,000 if they will give them out for blocks of 2,500...
They'll only give them out in blocks of 1 500-mile cert for 2,500 EQMs near the counter reset date of March 1. I think it makes perfect sense for them to do this on a request basis when people call in and ask specifically, since its not an automatic policy.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT .8MM
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
They'll only give them out in blocks of 1 500-mile cert for 2,500 EQMs near the counter reset date of March 1. I think it makes perfect sense for them to do this on a request basis when people call in and ask specifically, since its not an automatic policy.
I think it makes sense as well. However, the CSR I spoke to said I had to call back after March 1. YMMV.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Mrkite:

"I think it makes sense as well. However, the CSR I spoke to said I had to call back after March 1. YMMV."

All I know is I called yesterday and was transferred to Advantage Customer Service and the rep manually added 2 500 mile upgrade segments for me. She said it could take up to 48 hours to post in my account however they were there this morning.

To some taking the time to call and ask for this seems petty however I look at it as these are segments we have earned and should get credit. In fact I don't really think the counter should be reset every year and would love to know AA's reasoning for this. That being said, I was 8 miles shy of a 3rd 500 mile segment and accept the customer rep's response that she tried but could not get me credit for it. Guess close only counts in horseshoes.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by chiproos
Mike:

Miles Towards Elite Upgrades: 27,742 So I'm entitled to 2 upgrade segments and 8 miles shy of the third. The CR was very nice but told me she could give me the two upgrade segments with no problem but had to check on the third. She came back and said there was nothing she could do about it.
Miles Toward Elite Upgrades = 32,862.

I just called and the CSR said she didn't know what I was talking about, then started scrolling through the "rules" on her system and said something about only giving stickers to non-US customers (makes no sense, since they can't use them) and that I could only exchange miles for stickers if I were an overseas resident ... again, makes no sense since I can do that online ... I politely ended the conversation and am now calling back ...

Edited to add: the second call did the trick! The CSR knew exactly what I was talking about. Had to wrangle a bit, but she "made an exception" and granted me one sticker.

I know it's only one sticker, but I might as well try to get what I've earned.

Last edited by AAir_head; Feb 27, 2007 at 3:45 pm Reason: add eqm balance and result of second call ...
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Thanks...

I got an extra sticker today because of this thread. Thanks!

Even though my miles to year were above the x5000 mark, I could not get a second sticker because only my miles since making status again were counted in the total.

ZakkW
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Thanks

Really glad i saw this. I have 29,945 miles towards upgrade. Saw the post, called AACS, had to wait on hold 10 minutes, but the very sweet CS said I was the 3rd call she got today. She had a list and would post the upgrade on March 1st. She did nicely said they would post all 4 upgrades. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by TxH2O
Oh well ... I only got 3 ... I can't imagine she'd give my father 3 at X6,921 ...

One thing for all of you who are gonna ask for upgrades ... there seems to be an instruction sheet for this request at the call center giving 2 even for X9K+.
I'll bet there is no instruction sheet. I'll also bet they understand the T&C that says you get 4 when you pass every 10K mile increment. So I am not sure why one is disappointed they didn't get 4 when they didn't cross 10K miles. Then maybe they could make the threshold 9,500 miles. But then what if you oly do 9,250 miles, you still want 4. Where do you stop?

And why would they give your father 3 for 6,921 miles? I don't understand. It seems like a great gesture to give 2.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Island
It seems like a great gesture to give 2.
^ In this case something seems better than nothing. Not sure why some don't see it that way.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I probably didnt phrase my earlier post clearly enough - I think it is great on some levels that AA do this when they dont have to. I just find it a strange quirk - when there are clear blocks and obstacles to getting something when not exactly entitled to it (guess I am bitter and not being able to find a way to break the rules in my favour regarding EXP qualification.

Congrats to everyone who got the extra stickers - for me 1 sticker isnt worth the call to them at this point - all flights in F in US for next few months.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:08 pm
FTW

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Smile

I ended up at 79,914 miles...called and received 4 whole stickers! A nice gesture indeed. Thanks, FTers! ^
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Island
Where do you stop?
On Feb. 28.

Its not as if I would ask for 2 stickers just b/c I had reached a certain point on the way to 10K. Rather I'm asking for some credit for having surpassed a halfway point by a certain deadline.

I was at 6,068 and they gave me two more. No groveling on this end, no questions/confusion with the CS agent either.

Ultimately it makes good business sense for AA to accommodate such requests as its one way of a keeping a traveler committed to their product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.