Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE:

The current thread can be found here: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:13 pm

Upgrade Stickers....Another Question.

Thanks to all for giving me the idea to ask for four upgrade stickers as I have 39,209 miles towards elite upgrades... only 790 miles away from 40,000 miles needed for the last 4 stickers for this year. I am on hold with AA CS and hope they will take pity on me and give me the stickers!
My question is this....my husband and I were both Platinum this year, but we did not reach this level for 2008. My husband purchased Platinum status for next year, and I am downgraded to Gold. When we request upgrades for flights, since he will be Platinum again, we can both be upgraded 72 hours out....correct? Whose account will these upgrades be taken out of....I still have 18 left from last year....will they be taken out of his account since he is Platinum or will they be taken out of his for his upgrade and mine for my upgrade. Am I making sense....I want to make sure I can use my upgrades as I have so many in my account.
Thanks to all of you experts who have given such great advice and suggestions on this forum!

ps Just spoke to CS and they will give me the 3 stickers....hooray!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2.6MM, B6 Mosaic
7,622 miles, 90 seconds on hold, 3 stickers. sweet.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:32 pm

Which customer service number do you call? The standard (for me) Gold Desk?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2.6MM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Boeing2027
I called the PLT desk and asked to be transfered to Customer Service - the transfered call was immediately answered.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
If you are traveling on the same or linked PNR, your upgrade window will open at 72 hours.

The stickers will come out of your respective individual accounts.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Boeing2027
800/421-0600
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Island
I'll bet there is no instruction sheet. I'll also bet they understand the T&C that says you get 4 when you pass every 10K mile increment. So I am not sure why one is disappointed they didn't get 4 when they didn't cross 10K miles. Then maybe they could make the threshold 9,500 miles. But then what if you oly do 9,250 miles, you still want 4. Where do you stop?

And why would they give your father 3 for 6,921 miles? I don't understand. It seems like a great gesture to give 2.
They have no obligation to even give him one. Some folks here have gotten amounts beyond what would appear justified given the proportion towards the next 10K, and I feel it is no big deal to see if I can get the same for him. He is the one who actually needs stickers, I will be flying exclusively international in the future in paid J and will end up with a couple dozen stickers in my account for when I begin flying domestically again.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
The stickers will come out of your respective individual accounts.
My wife and I also are plat and gold. If you ask at the counter at checkin they can also take them from each of your accounts.

We just came back from the UK and although I had asked outbound that they all come out of my account, they actually dinged each of our accounts on the return

A few minutes on the phone with Customer Service and the agent was able to move 4 stickers back to my wife's account.

Since my wife doesn't travel as much (gold) it is better to keep a balance in her account in case she ever travels on her own.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:30 pm

Thanks for all the info
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:40 am

Just got off the phone with AAdvantage CS and was told that 2 pro-rated 500 milers would be automatically processed if you hit 5000 miles. Who knows if that's true or not, but thought I would post.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by platboy
Just got off the phone with AAdvantage CS and was told that 2 pro-rated 500 milers would be automatically processed if you hit 5000 miles. Who knows if that's true or not, but thought I would post.
Definitely not true, IME...and in the experience of most people who have posted here. The only "automatic" thing I've seen is that my wife crossed 10K and EXP on the same flight...many have said that they did not get the final 4 stickers and had to call...she did.

The "orphan stickers" thing has never been automatic, AFAIK.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, SPG GLD
Just reached a CSR who said in her three years, she'd never heard of such a request (I asked that my 6,500 miles be prorated for 2 stickers). She checked around and said, "You're right; it's absolutely routine for us to grant the request. I learn something new every day." And so she did.

I prefer the "Check with supervisor" approach to Hang-up-and-try-another-rep but YMMV.

That said, I'd not put any stock in a CSR who said that there's an automatic prorate at 5,000.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
With 7907 miles I spent 6 minutes on hold and received 2 upgrades. (I was hoping for 3 but I didn't argue when 2 were offered.)
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:20 am

- 800-421-0600
- 2 minutes on hold
- asked to be credited 3 stickers for the 8,500 excess miles
- pointed out that my last flight, from Monday, had not yet posted
- rep. checked my records and gave me 3 stickers without hesitating
^
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
4 minutes on hold and a CSR who didn't know what I was talking about eventually turned into a verbal confirmation that my 4,160 miles toward upgrades were being converted to 2(!!) stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.