Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE:

The current thread can be found here: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:51 am

Just another data point (and confirmation of the FT mantra re calling back):

I called CS this morning to request a couple of stickers for someone who had just turned EXP and had almost 8000 MTEU's. I was told in no uncertain terms that AA "never" grants stickers for MTEU's that are lost due to turning EXP. I thanked her for her time, called back a couple of hours later, went through the explanation again and, after a short wait, was told that a couple would show up in the account in a couple of days.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Called this am and got Everett. Said he would credit me 3 upgrades. My balance was 6,841 at reset.

Nice guy!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:51 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I just made the call and got 2 sticker upgrades, but it was weird. My statement was showing that I was at over 68k toward elite upgrades, but their system was claiming I was actually at 74k toward elite upgrades. I didn't complain and graciously took the two stickers since I had never made such a request in previous years.

The question I have for this thread: I'm nearing EXP, and will cross it in the next couple of weeks with a flight from MIA to TPA. I will have 6158 miles toward elite upgrades before I cross. Would I be pressing my luck if I made a similar request in such a short timeframe?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
I wrote into CS with 9842 MTEU and got two stickers. meh
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by uxb

The question I have for this thread: I'm nearing EXP, and will cross it in the next couple of weeks with a flight from MIA to TPA. I will have 6158 miles toward elite upgrades before I cross. Would I be pressing my luck if I made a similar request in such a short timeframe?
No, I would certainly call/email. It would be for a different qualifying year, so you should be entitled to them.

--wes
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wesmanz
No, I would certainly call/email. It would be for a different qualifying year, so you should be entitled to them.

--wes
Let's start with the main fallacy here - entitlement. The entitlement is for 4 stickers at each 10K miles. That's it. These partial sticker gifts are a favor, not an entitlement. There is nothing in any written policy that indicates anything close to an entitlement.

I'd still cause since it can't hurt. But definitely don't look at this as any sort of entitlement.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
EXCELLENT point! ^ It's certainly not documented, and it is not even an undocumented benefit - it is a very nice gesture a number of AA CSRs make, most likely because it is not strictly prohibited by AA and costs AA minimally.

Originally Posted by brp
Let's start with the main fallacy here - entitlement. The entitlement is for 4 stickers at each 10K miles. That's it. These partial sticker gifts are a favor, not an entitlement. There is nothing in any written policy that indicates anything close to an entitlement.

I'd still cause since it can't hurt. But definitely don't look at this as any sort of entitlement.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Haha, that's pretty funny , especially with the sense of entitlement that EXP's have here. There are a large # of "policies" that are what seem to be considered unwritten rules regarding services/amenities for status passengers, especially those extended to EXP. I suppose "entitlement" was a bit extreme, but to say that they are doing a favor for everyone that requests them is pretty funny as well.

BTW- It seems that AA is doing a bit to make some of these "favors" or "perceived entitlements" standard and making them official. In this case I'm willing to bet that there is something written somewhere about the flexibility to grant partial credit toward the 10k milestone, it's just not part of the "official entitlement" that is written on their website.

--wes
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:35 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
+1, I don't view it as an entitlement and am only asking since my time as a PLT is coming to a close. I don't want to be a haza. At the same time, I don't want to turn down any opportunity to bolster my sticker balance to upgrade family and friends.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wesmanz

BTW- It seems that AA is doing a bit to make some of these "favors" or "perceived entitlements" standard and making them official. In this case I'm willing to bet that there is something written somewhere about the flexibility to grant partial credit toward the 10k milestone, it's just not part of the "official entitlement" that is written on their website.

--wes
I highly doubt this.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Got three for 7,800 miles by calling customer service.

She told me she was automatically authorized to give me two upgrades and when I noted the number of 2012 paid fares in first, she quickly looked at my profile and dukes me the extra.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:54 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Got three for 7,800 miles by calling customer service.

She told me she was automatically authorized to give me two upgrades and when I noted the number of 2012 paid fares in first, she quickly looked at my profile and dukes me the extra.
I got another two for 6500+ miles before I converted to EXP. Good times.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

I ended up with 3 for 89xx miles, the wife got 2 for ~5xxx miles.

--wes
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:28 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This year's results (by phone as usual):

3 stickers for a >9500 MTEU increment
2 stickers for a >7500 MTEU increment

Excellent agent. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.