Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DaxOmni
Does the newbie sticky recommend that you print out all the specifics of each offer before AA suddenly removes all traces without warning?
Probably not. Then again, good sense probably does.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Kayak between AA and DL. But moving more to DL. DL while skypeso's are a problem have a solid overall operation. I know as a PTL that I'll take a bit of hit if we have a few more EXP people on board and again pissed that they made it so easliy and took me 2M to get my lifer badge. Now with the merger chaos will stay on the AA sidelines for sure and stick with DL. Glad the merger may not work but overall not good for AA if there is uncertainty. Corporate managers will stay away and worried the onflight crews may be equally uncertain etc.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by DaxOmni
You're asking if I read nearly two thousand newbie posts before signing up so that I'd know to make a copy of every single linked page before it was suddenly deleted? No, I honestly didn't realize that AA routinely makes offers which infuriate their elites only to suddenly remove them just as quickly at the first sign of whining.
I always take screenshots of everything that is too good to be true. AA pulled the offers because they made mistakes in the both the promotion and the T&Cs. Once someone with an IQ above 100 looked at it they realized they had a problem.

Now, back to my suggestion to people to read the newbie thread, that was directed at those that know nothing about AA and are asking question about earning EQM. That thread and AA.com has all the answers.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAExPlat

And I challenge that someone flying 30k once in 4 months even comes close to approaching those of us who have been EXP continuously for over a decade or even anyone else flying a full 100k in 12 months...

no way kettles can do this. 100k can be as expensive as 4K and what..75 hours in the sky?

how many hours is 100k BIS in the sky?is what i want to know.

I feel your "butt" pain. it's never about the money on this. Because an FD-er can fly 100k with less than 2k USD (at most) but it's the time taken to fly those.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by combiblock
no way kettles can do this. 100k can be as expensive as 4K and what..75 hours in the sky?

how many hours is 100k BIS in the sky?is what i want to know.
A normal nonstop transcon is about 5K miles round-trip which is about 6 hours each way. So 12 hours x 20 trips would be 240 hours to complete 100K miles give or take, if I understand your question right, not including ground time or connections if needed.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
so if this status challenge works, you basically need to fly 6k miles before any chance of being able to get elite benefits? would be nice to do some of the 30k in MCE.

Right...except they will have 8 SWUs to redeem for their travels, so even if they don't fly a ton, they can still take away a fair number of upgrades by using their SWUs...

And I challenge that someone flying 30k once in 4 months even comes close to approaching those of us who have been EXP continuously for over a decade or even anyone else flying a full 100k in 12 months...
you're assuming that kettles will even know how to use SWUs; refer to this FT thread for my favorite example.

in any case, maybe AA should factor in more than just fare class and time booked for upgrade priority within EXPs? i feel like that would have saved a lot of complaining.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by psychoandy
in any case, maybe AA should factor in more than just fare class and time booked for upgrade priority within EXPs?
Such as....?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Right...except they will have 8 SWUs to redeem for their travels, so even if they don't fly a ton, they can still take away a fair number of upgrades by using their SWUs...
Still requires a sunk cost, which many won't do. Just look at many of the mileage bloggers who say that even 30K EQM in 4 months is a bad deal because "you still have to spend money.

I wasn't aware that being an EXP for 10 years made you a more special EXP than someone who did it just 1 year. Does it come with higher upgrade priorities? AFAIK, all it matters is who got EXP for that program year and that's all.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
I wasn't aware that being an EXP for 10 years made you a more special EXP than someone who did it just 1 year. Does it come with higher upgrade priorities? AFAIK, all it matters is who got EXP for that program year and that's all.
EXPs often ask AA to bend the rules. Who do you think is more likely to get a favor, someone with a very high spend or someone who's EXP solely as a result of a promo?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by richarddd
EXPs often ask AA to bend the rules. Who do you think is more likely to get a favor, someone with a very high spend or someone who's EXP solely as a result of a promo?
You've gone on a spend tangent that was not part of the original statement.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:37 am

You've gone on a spend tangent that was not part of the original statement.
"all it matters is who got EXP for that program year and that's all" omits things such as spend, influence and other things that AA uses to measure worth.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:17 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

I would not worry about it to much I know EXP that never use there 8 SWU and others that use them to upgrade relatives on a domestic trip to Orlando or Las Vegas and other domestic city's. LOL. I think if a kettle was lucky enough to sign up for this they may make PLAT at best.

Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I think in the case of op-ups at the gate it actually can do, depending how diligent the GA is. My understanding (confirmed by someone on here a couple of years ago) is that the GAs can see information such as lifetime miles and may well use it when deciding who gets an op-up.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
My initial reaction (while link was still open, see post 40) was why not include an offer for elites as well. I thought at the time I saw the offer there was a 90% chance we would see a double eqm offer for elites soon. I just did not understand why not do it at the same time. The only reason that makes sense to me for AA having pulled the offer was because of angered elites. I don't buy the too many people signing up argument, American would have loved this! As many have explained here, this offer makes perfect sense to pull elites from other airlines, especially now disappointed US airways customers that were expecting status with American. The business conditions are exactly the same as they were when the offer was posted. Therefore, I think the offer will be reposted but with a parallel offer to not anger current elites.

Just offering my thoughts for discussion..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:18 am

Advantage CS Confirmation

One addl data point - I talked to CS this morning and they confirmed I was signed up for the promotion. I also had him check my MR on hold and he confirmed it qualified as well. I think I'm ready to book my first 7500 miles. FWIW - I generally fly UA and WN. I have 0 miles this year on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.