Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Funny how even the explanation says "if you were eligible" and registered, you're good to go. So they haven't just come out and said if you registered (because we screwed up), you're good to go.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
And, as we see in this thread, what else has happened is that somebody who otherwise qualifies under what was posted in the EXP group was told they don't qualify and was given 1,000 courtesy miles.

So honestly, we really still don't have an answer, and this highlights something AA still really sucks at: social media communication.
I'll continue to wait for a more definite confirmation.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I'll continue to wait for a more definite confirmation.
Same here. I'll just continue to prep by looking for AA MR's out of NYC.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcx9
Why would AA reach out ONLY to the EXP FB page to explain this, whose members were not even eligible per the T&C, and NOWHERE else? That makes zero sense.
To pacify them and tell them it is not that bad, not that many people are being let in to their exclusive club.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
There is no way AA is going to check time stamps to determine who registered after the link was pulled. Too much work.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:40 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Soxfan15
The double miles promotion alienated nobody and benefited everyone.
Except those of us that legitimately qualified....
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Just staying at DELTA

PTL LT here and was using again a bit more AA. Thinking how do I plan 2014 to hit Executive Platinum with the usual requirements to do so (BIS). Then just get frustrated at an offer like this even though I understand not many may actually go through with it. BUT makes me just tough it through over at DL where the planes run on time, get upgraded now as a DM often and now don't have to wait on the merger go or no go. But again, AA LISTEN if you want customers who are loyal don't just go out and give away status. Others may disagree but I have a buck to spend and I'll spend it where I get some loyalty. That's me.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wazzupmac
And it was active at 2:34 EST (post 84) when I referenced it. Didn't think to take a screenshot of it and only took a screenshot of the offer page that the link took me to (i had signed up before 2 pm according to my confirmation email). By 4:20 or so they removed all evidence of the post on LinkedIn but the link was active until just after 5:00 pm
My confirmation email for my daughter was received at 10 am PDT, so looks like she's in well before it was pulled.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:35 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
The AA webmaster (The email address) Said i was enrolled so not sure
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

They need to tell us definitively one way or the other. I'm holding off on booking a J trip to Europe due to this. If not qualified/confirmed, I will go with VS or DL.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:40 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

They need to tell us definitively one way or the other. I'm holding off on booking a J trip to Europe due to this. If not qualified/confirmed, I will go with VS or DL.
My guess is they still dont have a definitive decision internally on what to do...

I am also holding off on booking a couple extra transcons until I know what is happening.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:02 am

Continuing my TB linking, a bit of advice:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...9&postcount=25
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLT
I am the problem with this promotion.

I only started reading FT about two weeks ago (this is my first post ever) because I just got a job for which I will need to buy (and then expense) a few long-haul international flights over the next year or two. I've never been a member of any frequent flyer program and I don't have a co-branded airline credit card. I'm barely out of my twenties and I make $56,000/year. I fly Greyhound.

I saw the AA promo link here on FT just an hour or two after it was posted and realized I could make EXP, purely by coincidence. I happen to be booked JFK-MXP in Sept on AA (pure chance that I booked it with AA) and will also need to fly NYC-NRT before the end of the year, which I could do on AA as well. That's around 22,000 miles, and I figured I could easily squeeze in one more cheap trip overseas before New Year's, grab my EXP, fly in style through Feb 2015, and then never fly AA again if I don't feel like it. AA would get little money and even less loyalty from me, while I bask swank airport lounges and first-class dining options among people whose wardrobes cost more than my car.

I have no moral qualms about grabbing a promo that benefits me, even if it's a mistake. If there's one thing I've learned from reading these forums over the past couple weeks, it's that that's how the game is played. Yes, as a "fake" EXP I'd potentially be stealing upgrades from guys who spent 200 days in a plane this year, guys who are older and harder working and have spent decades scrambling up the ladder to these privileges. But I don't care. I wanted my brass ring, and there it was waiting for me on a velvet pillow. As someone who's never, ever turned left when he boarded an airplane, I decided to swipe myself a little slice of the statusphere.

Alas, I was busy cooking breakfast when I saw the link, decided I'd register later, and by the time I got around to it the promo was dead. Thank God for kettles
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I registered. ONe reason and one reason only - I saw it on Flyertalk.
I have an AAdvanatge account but am not elite. It seemed to good to be true so I registered right there and then and it accepted me. Now it can be argued since I am a newly minted Delta DM, I would be on their target list anyway. We will have to see. Let us see if the AA upgrade gods smile on me.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:13 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Scofflaw99
I am the problem with this promotion.

I only started reading FT about two weeks ago (this is my first post ever) because I just got a job for which I will need to buy (and then expense) a few long-haul international flights over the next year or two. I've never been a member of any frequent flyer program and I don't have a co-branded airline credit card. I'm barely out of my twenties and I make $56,000/year. I fly Greyhound.

I saw the AA promo link here on FT just an hour or two after it was posted and realized I could make EXP, purely by coincidence. I happen to be booked JFK-MXP in Sept on AA (pure chance that I booked it with AA) and will also need to fly NYC-NRT before the end of the year, which I could do on AA as well. That's around 22,000 miles, and I figured I could easily squeeze in one more cheap trip overseas before New Year's, grab my EXP, fly in style through Feb 2015, and then never fly AA again if I don't feel like it. AA would get little money and even less loyalty from me, while I bask swank airport lounges and first-class dining options among people whose wardrobes cost more than my car.

I have no moral qualms about grabbing a promo that benefits me, even if it's a mistake. If there's one thing I've learned from reading these forums over the past couple weeks, it's that that's how the game is played. Yes, as a "fake" EXP I'd potentially be stealing upgrades from guys who spent 200 days in a plane this year, guys who are older and harder working and have spent decades scrambling up the ladder to these privileges. But I don't care. I wanted my brass ring, and there it was waiting for me on a velvet pillow. As someone who's never, ever turned left when he boarded an airplane, I decided to swipe myself a little slice of the statusphere.

Alas, I was busy cooking breakfast when I saw the link, decided I'd register later, and by the time I got around to it the promo was dead. Thank God for kettles
I agree with your perspective but glad you did not make it.

Also, consider a gold/platinum challenge if your fare basis makes it worth it.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't mind the promotion, but I find it a huge slap in the fact that current elites are excluded. It's basically saying screw you for your loyalty through tough times.

Very poorly conceived idea on AA's part.
I agree. I'm getting tired of hearing how people with little or no flight time are being "targeted" for this, but yet those of us that pay for flights are not. I've got 3 flights booked in the next 6 weeks (2 are international), and I haven't seen squat from AA.

Things like this really push the limits of my loyalty to businesses. If UA wasn't so bad right now, I would probably have jumped ship, but out of OKC the only realistic options for my travel pattern are UA or AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.