Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Plat, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
FWIW, another data point. Emailed the account mentioned in the offer ([email protected]), and here is what I got:

Dear Mr. <...>,

Thank you for your message to AA.com.

Our database indicates that you did register for promotion code, H3TLI,
however, it shows that it is inactive on your account, <...>.

Our colleagues in AAdvantage Customer Service are best equipped to
answer any questions related to this issue.

Please call 1-800-882-8880 (Monday-Friday, 9a-5:30p CST). Ask for the
"Main Menu" when prompted, then request "AAdvantage Account Service".

Thank you for writing to AA.com.
I have signed up for H3TLI around 11am PST, and also signed up for one of the later codes.

I'll call/email the AAdvantage support next week to clarify.

Last edited by anpe; Aug 16, 2013 at 4:44 pm
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Full res: http://imgur.com/6ntsNzI

Last edited by amolkold; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:43 am
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Thanks. Was looking for this. Emailed customer service this morning but haven't heard anything back yet. I think I registered around 3:11PM EST.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by amolkold
Much appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:02 pm

Screenshot from H3TLI promotion?

UPDATE - Thanks amolkold - you're the best!

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Anyone have a screenshot they're willing to send my way (or post here)? I got in on the promo, but would like to keep the TOC handy for reference.
I'm one of the lucky ones who signed up early on the 14th. Received confirmation email from AA:

"For your reference, details of this offer can be found on AA.com under view all offers, or in the communication where you learned of this promotion.
To earn the bonus miles or other incentives offered, be sure to meet all of the promotional requirements."

If someone could PM me with a screenshot from the original link, I'd really be in your debt. I was in a hurry and didn't take one when the link was live. If not, I'll try to bluff my way through with CS when I call to confirm.

Last edited by roneyc; Aug 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reason: Found it in latest post:
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
So the question now what's the fastest, cheapest way to get to plat. exec? Some are saying once you hit gold, the miles you earn will increase, making it easier to get to 30k........
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
They can, as long as the customer informs them prior. I was surprised they would agree to that. But, as stated, the person was referring to a voicemail message.
Most countries do not require permission to record a call. In Canada, for example, a call may be recorded by either party without permission, notification, or a tell-tale beep. The person doing the recording must be one of the call's speaking parties. This is true, I believe, in most countries. In any event, a company that states in its call queue that it may record the call can't complain when the other party does.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
So the question now what's the fastest, cheapest way to get to plat. exec? Some are saying once you hit gold, the miles you earn will increase, making it easier to get to 30k........
"Some are saying..." That almost sounds mythological.

You'll have to fly the 30K miles since status is earned from base miles, not bonus miles.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Whoever is saying this is entirely incorrect. You have to fly 30,000 actual miles to get Exec Plat (there is no Plt Exec).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
At the end of the day I don't think this will have a very substantial impact. People don't realize just how hard it is to fly 30K miles in 4 months and I am sure their is plenty of EXP attrition going on due to the uncertainty about AA's future.
Agreed with this 100%. I'm not a 'frequent flier' by some definition (i.e. I don't even fly for business anymore), but I definitely fly more than the "average" person. Obviously, the status most appealing to me is the EXP status. It would be easy if I had plans to fly 30,000 miles in the first place, but I don't (big trips last year, nearly 50k BIS miles). I'm not at all confident that I'll even try to go for EXP even with this promo.

I bet I'm a good target candidate for something like this promo, where it could potentially entice me to fly more on AA. It is quite a bit of flying in four months -- and it's really still both a time and financial expense (I don't believe in MR). I'd still consider short hop trips for the gold or the plat status -- since I still have some stickers from my elite days sitting in my account -- but even that is dependent on what kind of deals I see and destinations I'm interested in in upcoming weeks.

So, at the end of the day, I think some people WILL alter their plans to take advantage of this promotion, but I think that won't be as big or as bad as some elites feared. If this were open to ALL elites, I think the impact would be huge because elite fly plenty already. Granted, I can see the inherent unfairness -- elites shouldn't be penalized for being elites -- and I would be somewhat peeved that others could attain something so easily that I have to work so hard for if I'm in the same situation.

It could surely be an IT mistake, but I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the promo originally that way because they believe the impact would be minimal and it would generate revenue. They probably did not expect the promo to spread so quickly through social media and flyertalk and gets fierce backlash from elites for being excluded. But honestly, this community is different from most, and the average non-elite don't fly often enough to care much about statuses, unless there are plans already that "coincide" with the promo period.

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a MR searching tool for aa from a certain city?

and can we double dip with other offers like this? http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

Thanks!

Last edited by ILAZXFE; Aug 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome!

Check Travel Tools Forum for a couple.

I am not sure what you mean by "double dip" - but if you mean if you can take advantage of this offer whilst you use other offers, unless it's specifically stated in the Terms and Conditions you can not (e.g. "Can not be used in combination with other offers" or the like,) you can. Numbers of us have taken the opportunity to benefit from multiple offers.

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE

and can we double dip with other offers like this? http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome!

Check Travel Tools Forum for a couple.

I am not sure what you mean by "double dip" - but if you mean if you can take advantage of this offer whilst you use other offers, unless it's specifically stated in the Terms and Conditions you can not (e.g. "Can not be used in combination with other offers" or the like,) you can. Numbers of us have taken the opportunity to benefit from multiple offers.
thank you for your help. have a nice weekend!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILAZXFE

Thanks!
In the T's & C's: "Bonus miles will not count toward elite status qualification or Million Miler status."

So I am guessing you can double dip, but the bonus miles you get won't count towards achieving status.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
This promo reminds me of the early days of those "daily deal" sites, like Groupon. They advertised an insanely good deal, then the business would be swamped with customers. Regular, loyal customers couldn't get in the door with all the coupon customers. They would run out of cupcakes, or whatever, by noon. It took a while to tweak the daily deal sites to avoid sheer chaos.

I think the social networking sites are still a new, untested, thing for many businesses, especially a large entrenched bureaucracy like an airline. Someone, somehow, convinced them to advertise in a "targeted" fashion. Only the targeted audience on Linked In or Facebook would see the ad, thus, only those targeted would click through and answer the ad.

Obviously they did not expect the ad to "go viral" and get posted in places visible to people other than their targeted audience. They certainly did not want to tick off their existing elites. When they started getting registrations from 4-year olds (obviously not one of their targeted audience), someone at AA said "Hey, wait a minute...".

So they pulled the ad and killed the webpage.

What now? Figure out some kind of criteria to separate the eligible from the non-eligible. Someone at AA is culling the giant volume of responses (including mine) to eliminate the already-elites and those that came in past some defined cut-off time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.