Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by biostatistician
This is from the T&C for earning status the regular way. I assume, or will work under the assumption that this still applies for the fast track:

Members must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle or the American Connection carrier to qualify for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status within the qualifying year.
That is interesting to note... I wonder if this would apply to this promotion, because it states that you can fly on partner airlines, and does not specifically state that you need to be on AA metal. I would have thought with a promotion like this, they'd have made it dead certain that one must fly AA if that was the case. It wasn't stated in the T&Cs.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Question, if I buy a Q fare ticket, does that mean I will only earn half the miles required for this promotion?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
As a general recommendation to all the newbies coming out of the woodwork asking questions, check the newbie sticky first.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skunker
As a general recommendation to all the newbies coming out of the woodwork asking questions, check the newbie sticky first.
+1 and the AAdvantage pages on AA.com. Specifically:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by randidliyo
I got it, but you have to be able to prove that you're a HVC, usually by providing some proof that you fly ALOT. I sent in my DL profile and recent activity and then called me to make me the offer. 8000 more miles and I will be a EXP....took about two months.
Yep. I called and explained that I had flown 130K miles on 151 segments last year with United and 79k miles on 76 segments in the first half of this year.

They were eager for some of my weekly business and I'm tired of flying on regional jets for 3-4 hours with only cold cheese & cracker for a meal in F.

My EXP challenge is 25K EQPs not miles.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I am thrilled that AA has pulled the promotion.

I am sick and tired of AA handing out EXP like candy, while the rest of us have to bust our **** to truly earn it.

Try doing 100 segments - now that's earning it.

Go ahead - I know I will be blasted for this and I could care less to be honest.
It's just a bit ironic because your username is freeupgrade. But either way, I understand the feeling that the program is being devalued. That said I highly doubt they'll have many more new EXPs than they do normally because of this. The amount of people jumping ship from UA, DL, etc over to AA on status challenges is far greater.

Originally Posted by phranktzi
Question, if I buy a Q fare ticket, does that mean I will only earn half the miles required for this promotion?

Thanks
This promotion targets EQM. My understanding is that every flight earns 100% EQM (elite qualifying miles). Any fare that earns .5 EQP still earns full EQM. So you will get full miles.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
In regards to the number of new EXPs ...

First there's this idea that "kettles" will get EXP and severely dilute the program. For one thing, a kettle had to sign up for the link while it was alive, which wasn't that long. Many hardcore FTers didn't sign up in time.

But even if a kettle signed up, they still need 30K EQM for EXP. That's not easy to do in 4 months. Sure, they might have a trip to Europe on the books, but that's maybe 11K max? Kettles don't understand mileage runs or know how to start on those -- that is the FTer crowd.

And even if someone gets EXP, they're not going to dilute the value unless they actually continue to fly with AA. In which case, kudos to AA for getting a new loyal customer.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Does the newbie sticky recommend that you print out all the specifics of each offer before AA suddenly removes all traces without warning?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:46 pm

Road warriors forget how hard it is to earn 30k within 4 months. Kettles can't even earn 25k within 12 months as is.
People who truly benefits are heavy elites from UA/DL who got their free challenge.

I thought AA was just waiting for DL/UA to do something crazy to piss off customers and then releasing the offer. Earlier in the same day, DL announced mile devaluation. I was thinking, sneaky AA.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by DaxOmni
Does the newbie sticky recommend that you print out all the specifics of each offer before AA suddenly removes all traces without warning?
Did you check?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
In regards to the number of new EXPs ...

First there's this idea that "kettles" will get EXP and severely dilute the program. For one thing, a kettle had to sign up for the link while it was alive, which wasn't that long. Many hardcore FTers didn't sign up in time.

But even if a kettle signed up, they still need 30K EQM for EXP. That's not easy to do in 4 months. Sure, they might have a trip to Europe on the books, but that's maybe 11K max? Kettles don't understand mileage runs or know how to start on those -- that is the FTer crowd.

And even if someone gets EXP, they're not going to dilute the value unless they actually continue to fly with AA. In which case, kudos to AA for getting a new loyal customer.

I have to agree with you.

How many kettles are actually got to register, and are going to run 30k EQM?
Then actually take advantage of benefits the next year?

Not very many.
Oh wait... me! *raises hand*
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
...And even if someone gets EXP, they're not going to dilute the value unless they actually continue to fly with AA. In which case, kudos to AA for getting a new loyal customer.
Right...except they will have 8 SWUs to redeem for their travels, so even if they don't fly a ton, they can still take away a fair number of upgrades by using their SWUs...

And I challenge that someone flying 30k once in 4 months even comes close to approaching those of us who have been EXP continuously for over a decade or even anyone else flying a full 100k in 12 months...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Existing gold for life and plat. for life AA does not necessarily have them, they have AA. But not for this promotion, alas.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I have to agree with you.

How many kettles are actually got to register, and are going to run 30k EQM?
Then actually take advantage of benefits the next year?

Not very many.
Oh wait... me! *raises hand*
Until I see tangible evidence to the contrary, I will assume that you are far from a small number of folks who were successful in registering and who will go through with the challenge...otherwise, why would AA shut down the promo?

It only makes sense to shut down the promo if they were getting far more participation than they expected...

This promo wouldn't be nearly as offensive if AA had used EQP instead of EQM and if the earnings rate would have been commensurate with that which the rest of us have to abide by. 33EQP in 4 months is still lame, but at least not completely ridiculous. But 30k EQMs in 4 months is just completely stupid.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA DL UR AGR
Did you check?
You're asking if I read nearly two thousand newbie posts before signing up so that I'd know to make a copy of every single linked page before it was suddenly deleted? No, I honestly didn't realize that AA routinely makes offers which infuriate their elites only to suddenly remove them just as quickly at the first sign of whining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.