Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
Really the only pluses I see (and only a plus because it's less of a minus ) are that:

1. It seems to have been sent to a limited audience and not generally findable on the AA site (distribution got a little wider with the posting here, of course)

2. Folks only have two weeks (August 27) to sign up.

May not be quite as bad, in the long run, as it might seem at first glance.

Cheers.
Anyone get it in email form?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I don't mind the promotion, but I find it a huge slap in the fact that current elites are excluded. It's basically saying screw you for your loyalty through tough times.

Very poorly conceived idea on AA's part.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Xero
Nothing in the ToS indicates that it's a targeted offer.

I hope American Airlines puts out a response on this thread.
Definitely not targeted. I just signed up a nonstatus member of my family.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rough translation: "Thanks, suckers!"

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't mind the promotion, but I find it a huge slap in the fact that current elites are excluded. It's basically saying screw you for your loyalty through tough times.

Very poorly conceived idea on AA's part.

Sign up anyway - you may not be eligible, but aa.com has been quirky enough sometimes signing up for a promo you are ineligible for will get it anyway. (It has worked for me on occasion.)

Personally, I think this kinda smells like last month's fish. What's next? Hand out status with Buy On Board? Duty Free purchases! Buy miles. Pay money (a la US). Etc.

Originally Posted by mialink
I am flying DFW/NRT, too bad I'm not eligible. Parents are taking DFW/OGG and will be instant Gold now, they have no other flights planned all year.

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Chewy311
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

And its EQM, not even EQP! And why can't existing elites take advantage of this? I really don't like this at all!
Well, see it globally: The competing elites from US Airways have just been delayed by probably a year.

Programs: DL, Marriott
Hasn't this always existed as a challenge, it just wasn't made known to everyone?

Edit: sorry, didn't see it's NOT EQP based, and no signup fee.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hardly! You can to earn Elite-Qualifying Points for status, not miles - Platinum required 10,000 points in three months, Gold 5,000; Low fares required 10,000 or 20,000 miles for Gold or Platinum, or rewarded Premium flyers by allowing as little as 3,3334 or 6,667 miles - but it was based on points.

It cost a nonrefundable fee to sign up for the Challenge; you could not have held status recently. There was no Challenge to Executive Platinum.

In contrast no fee, merely fly 6,000 miles and earn Gold or fly 12,000 miles to earn Platinum. Even on deeply discounted fares.

Originally Posted by pritomd
Hasn't this always existed as a challenge, it just wasn't made known to everyone?

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Besides the issue with not allowing current elites, the EQM/not-EQP issue bothers me as well. Does AA NOT want high fare/high revenue flyers? Sure, treat the guy flying full fare F exactly the same as the one flying heavily discounted J for the purposes of this promo.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Definitely not targeted. I just signed up a nonstatus member of my family.
As we know from many past attempts, the fact that you signed someone up means absolutely nothing about the targeting. People have signed up for, and gotten confirmation from, targeted promotions many times, and didn't get it in the end. The lack of targeting mention in the T&Cs is what would seem to imply that it is not. Signing up folks confirms nothing.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:40 am

As done on previous years, another way to avoid semi-FF to flee the ranks. Nice way to diverge customer attention from the DOJ filing, but at the expense of real FF...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPLAT, MARRIOTT PLAT, *A Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Really the only pluses I see (and only a plus because it's less of a minus ) are that:

1. It seems to have been sent to a limited audience and not generally findable on the AA site (distribution got a little wider with the posting here, of course)

2. Folks only have two weeks (August 27) to sign up.

May not be quite as bad, in the long run, as it might seem at first glance.

Cheers.
This was posted on the AA Facebook site, so presuming it got a relatively broad audience...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:51 am

I wonder if non status members currently enrolled in a Gold/Plat challenge would
qualify for this too?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Silver lining- Looks like a good excuse to do MRs with my son to get him status!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Argh! Though for me it wouldn't help if they did offer it to existing elites. I'm at 66k YTD so 30K for EXP is what I would need anyway. I just have to decide if I want to try for EXP for next year.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
If you can't beat 'em - join 'em. So I signed my wife up - she should make some status now before the end of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.