Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

NY to Detroit - Food in First Class? [and answer - to be merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY to Detroit - Food in First Class? [and answer - to be merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platunum
Question NY to Detroit - Food in First Class? [and answer - to be merged]

In the next few days I'm on AA flight #3689 from LaGuardia to Detroit. It's a two hour flight that departs at 10:30AM.

I'm in First Class and would like to know food will be served if any.

I've called AA and after almost a half hour on the phone, and various supervisors they don't know. All they can tell me is "Refreshments". When I ask "What does that mean, as a cup of water is a "refreshment"?" They still don't know.
I need to know as I won't be eating until 2:00 once I arrive in Detroit. I don't want to buy a bunch of fruit and yogurt beforehand only to be served the same once I board, nor do I want to show up with nothing to eat and served a bottle of water. This is why I bought a FC ticket - for some FC service. I was expecting to be able to get this info from an AA rep on the phone. I realize that options can change daily, (bagel vs croissant, banana vs apple etc) but seriously, they should be able to tell me what "refreshment" means.

I contacted AA through their Contact Us email form on their site and got back an automated reply that they might not get back to me before my flight leaves, so I should call their customer service who will happily answer all my questions. <groan>

Anyone take this flight who can shed some light on what might be served?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:05 pm

This is a regional flight. You'll get drinks and a small snack (a small pack of cookies or premium nuts (lol)). If you're lucky the FA may hand out the buy on-board snack packs (a rarity).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Likely a pack of snack mix, maybe mixed nuts. Eat beforehand. Even the BOB is snack food, most of it unhealthy.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Cookie or nuts for breakfast? Pretty disgraceful! The word "regional" didn't stop them from charging my client a hefty "non regional" sum for my ticket.

Not saying I expect a hot breakfast on a two hour flight, but you're saying their regional galley has enough room for food for FC to purchase, but not enough room to give out a yogurt, fruit or muffin to First Class pax which is included in the fare.

Most of my flying is either international, or coast to coast, so I'm inexperienced in these short haul flights. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On a mid-con, you could possibly get a cereal like Special K, some chopped fruit in a fruit bowl, a bread of some kind (muffin), small yoghurt, coffee or ? For lunch, a salad with chicken or salmon, a small meal basically.

Or considerably less out of meal windows on a regional jet. (Eat breakfast before flying.)

No, the FFP is for Coach, not for First.

You may (or not) get the opportunity to specify your meal within 30 days of flying - check your itinerary and see if the opportunity is offered.

See here - where this will probably be merged (Search for keyword menus).

This is the world in which we live now - airlines cutting back to the bone. (OTOH, you should see what passes for the next class up on, say, BA regional narrowbody flights - normal 3 x 3 coach seats, the middle seat blocked, the first few rows with perhaps 33" seat pitch and if they sell more they merely move a curtain back, with a small breakfast. You'll get ~38", 2 x 2 seating on an MD80 or 737... )

The airlines have reduced capacity - so higher demand, lower supply, higher prices.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm Reason: add link to menus thread
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No, it's not "cookies or nuts for breakfast." Unless the flight is listed as "Breakfast" or "Snack" on aa.com, you should not expect either. "Refreshments" typically means drinks, and some nuts, snack mix, cookies, or the like.

When AA has food for sale on a flight, it is for sale to Coach passengers. I think the earlier poster was suggesting that if there is food for sale to Coach passengers on your flight, the flight attendant might offer any unsold packs to First Class passengers without charge.

Meals on flights are determined by flight length, time of day, etc. For a short flight at 10:30 AM on a regional jet that offers First Class (not all regional jets do), First Class gets you a larger seat, quicker boarding and deplaning, free baggage allowance, and free alcoholic beverages, but usually no meal or snack tray. Some people do not consider these perks worth the extra money charged for First; perhaps you felt otherwise. AA -- and other airlines -- will gladly take a hefty sum from anyone willing to pay it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
Cookie or nuts for breakfast? Pretty disgraceful! The word "regional" didn't stop them from charging my client a hefty "non regional" sum for my ticket.

Not saying I expect a hot breakfast on a two hour flight, but you're saying their regional galley has enough room for food for FC to purchase, but not enough room to give out a yogurt, fruit or muffin to First Class pax which is included in the fare.
The flight departs at 10:25 am, long after the AA breakfast window closes, so why were you expecting breakfast? Even most fast food restaurants switch from breakfast to lunch at 10:30 am.

In American Eagle parlance, "refreshments" equals beverages plus "gourmet snack mix." For travel days like yours (late lunch), I simply eat a bigger breakfast before leaving home and pack a snack.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm shocked AA started flying something bigger than the normal single class ERJ's they fly on this route. When did they do the CRJ7 add?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
I'm shocked AA started flying something bigger than the normal single class ERJ's they fly on this route. When did they do the CRJ7 add?
Around the same time as the addition of 2-class CR7s from LGA to MSP, ATL, CLE and CLT (competitors' hubs and key business markets from NYC).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info all.
FWAA - maybe you think 10:25 is lunch time, but not to most of the rest of us, especially considering, we're supposed to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours beforehand, and if the TSA is slow that day, it might not leave enough time to have breakfast at the airport. But whether you think it's breakfast time, or lunch time, a piece of fruit, a muffin or a yogurt would be an appropriate snack choice.

So far, from all you experienced AA flyers, I'm learning that I'm likely to get a bag of nuts, and one of your suggested that I might even get offered cereal. And finally, someone suggested that I might be offered a leftover BOB snack pack from coach once they're done collecting money. <sigh>
BTW, when I called AA, one supervisor told me that Coach will have BOB offered, while First Class gets the ole Light Refreshments nonsense babble. Another supervisor told me that coach pax will not have the BOB option, but again, I'll get "refreshments".

That said, what is the most annoying thing is why the heck can't AA tell me this info? They do this flight daily, surely SOMEONE knows what passengers can expect. Why is it held as a guarded secret so that passengers can't possibly be prepared?

That's really my biggest complaint.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Y paxs probably care little about food on a short flight and certainly would not expect a meal. F paxs probably do not expect any kind of real meal. After all its a 1030AM flight, way pass breakfast. I doubt DL, UA or particularly US would have any kind of meal on a similar flight.

Really, how long does it take to stop at the food kiosk in Concourse C (or D) and buy a banana and bagel.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
Thanks for the info all.
FWAA - maybe you think 10:25 is lunch time, but not to most of the rest of us, especially considering, we're supposed to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours beforehand, and if the TSA is slow that day, it might not leave enough time to have breakfast at the airport. But whether you think it's breakfast time, or lunch time, a piece of fruit, a muffin or a yogurt would be an appropriate snack choice.
Just because 10:25 am is well past breakfast doesn't mean that I think that it's lunchtime.

Unfortunately, your short flight begins long after breakfast is over and ends not long after lunchtime begins, and sadly, will feature no breakfast or lunch for F passengers. Just refreshments, which aa.com describes as beverages and a bag o' snack mix.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/AE_first-class.jsp

In a perfect world (if I were in charge), every flight blocked for 2 hours or more would feature a hot meal in premium cabins. The CR7s and the upcoming E175s would have ovens in F for hot meals.

But it ain't a perfect world, and I'm not in charge. This thread is about the here and now, and you won't get any meal. No fruit, no yogurt and no bowl of cereal.

For me, breakfast occurs when I get up, which is typically 5:00 am or so. Dinner/Supper is typically between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm and lunch is sometime in the middle between those two meals.

By time I get to an airport for a 10:25 am departure, it's been several hours since I had breakfast. And if lunch has to wait until 2:00 pm or later, a quick snack packed earlier or picked up at the airport is just the ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Your best bet for finding this information in the future is to search for that flight on AA.com. The meal service will be listed there clearly. Just keep in mind that on AA 'snack' means a rather substantial meal-sized option.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
Your best bet for finding this information in the future is to search for that flight on AA.com. The meal service will be listed there clearly. Just keep in mind that on AA 'snack' means a rather substantial meal-sized option.
That's the first place I looked. There is no info. I then went to their general meal section hoping to find info for short flights. Again, no info. Then I called AA and spoke w/ three supervisors -2 in Platinum, and one in tech support.(because the two in Plat said it was on the website and had no other info for me. Tech support confirmed it wasn't on the site and tried digging around, again without any info found).

Apparently AA feels the need to keep this info a secret from passengers and their own reservationists.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Just because 10:25 am is well past breakfast doesn't mean that I think that it's lunchtime.

Unfortunately, your short flight begins long after breakfast is over and ends not long after lunchtime begins, and sadly, will feature no breakfast or lunch for F passengers. Just refreshments, which aa.com describes as beverages and a bag o' snack mix.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/AE_first-class.jsp

In a perfect world (if I were in charge), every flight blocked for 2 hours or more would feature a hot meal in premium cabins. The CR7s and the upcoming E175s would have ovens in F for hot meals.

But it ain't a perfect world, and I'm not in charge. This thread is about the here and now, and you won't get any meal. No fruit, no yogurt and no bowl of cereal.

For me, breakfast occurs when I get up, which is typically 5:00 am or so. Dinner/Supper is typically between 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm and lunch is sometime in the middle between those two meals.

By time I get to an airport for a 10:25 am departure, it's been several hours since I had breakfast. And if lunch has to wait until 2:00 pm or later, a quick snack packed earlier or picked up at the airport is just the ticket.
Yes, in a perfect world a nice meal would be served.

But even in a less than perfect world, the info should be easily available on their website, as well as accessible to their own employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.