Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Newbie 1st ?

I've tried searching to no avail, perhaps someone can clear this up. I'm at an age where this will be my last big-bang foreign excursion. I've used points twice in the past for 'round-the-world' adventures and now want to go back and spend some real time in a few favorites - mostly UK/Europe. I've got 200,000 AA points and about 175,000 Amex points (which I'd prefer to save for a nice hotel 3-4 times; cash for the remainder).

Because of age & military disability, Business (or First) is a "must." I had planned on Business expecting that those shorter legs without a business section would get me booted up to First (as happens with most US carriers). However a small sentence or two on the AA page caught my attention (something to the effect of): Business One-World points travelers must fly coach on partner airlines. Ouch! Did I mis-read that? Is it a firm policy or only if First is not available? If true, it just knocked my plans back by 5,000-10,000 miles as I'd have to up my award to First where there's no fine-print. Just S. Fl to EWR/JFK eats a bunch before I even leave the country.

I have no "status," as most of my points are from my business' credit card purchases. I'm an experienced flyer, just not enough to be 'Elite', 'Exalted', 'Diamond' or 'Poo-bah.' Just plain ol' me. I know enough not to buy an MP-3 Player with points (lucky to get a half-cent) and that International First/Business gets the best points-to-dollar value (5-7 cents).

Thoughts, suggestions, corrections appreciated - even if I have to convert some Amex to DL or pay cash on short European legs. Thanks, I'll be lurking over the next several months.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by 0335th
Yea, I just learned that the hard way... Life is full of disappointment!!!

I'll never hit EXP so I guess I'll just order some in the AC next week when I pass through one.

I don't suppose there is a way to order the AC ones online is there???
Personalized uggage tags actually used to be available to all members (personalized status ones for elite AAdvantage members) for purchase online, including the AC luggage tags. They were discontinued when the new logo and status cards came out.

AA has released a new luggage tag design, but has not made luggage tags available for purchase again, nor have they said anything about giving them for free to all elite members.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Has anyone got any feedback about <AA 291, DUB-JFK>?

Food quality/seat quality?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 27, 2013 at 6:36 am
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:01 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r281
Has anyone got any feedback about <AA 291, DUB-JFK>?

Food quality/seat quality?
Same as all other international flights bound for the USA.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Has AA eliminated the non-stop flight on this seasonal route? Can't find anything even in June 2014.
Anyone knows the schedule? Thanks
When I was searching for mileage runs, I believe I noticed that the DFW-ANC is only until September 31.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
looking for advice: need a round trip from msy-pek(early Nov), shall I book now(1180 with a 10%off before 8/30), of wait to see if there's a lower fare?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE
looking for advice: need a round trip from msy-pek(early Nov), shall I book now(1180 with a 10%off before 8/30), of wait to see if there's a lower fare?
What's the booking code it's on?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
What's the booking code it's on?
Q and O, I'm trying to complete the 30k around mid Oct, so I can use the SWU to upgrade those right?

Last edited by ILAZXFE; Aug 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE
Q and O, I'm trying to complete the 30k around mid Oct, so I can use the SWU to upgrade those right?
Yes, that's not the issue. Q and O are two lowest fare buckets on AA, so it's unlikely the fare will go any lower, if at all. It is much more likely that it will go up than down, so I would book this now.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes, that's not the issue. Q and O are two lowest fare buckets on AA, so it's unlikely the fare will go any lower, if at all. It is much more likely that it will go up than down, so I would book this now.
Good to know, Thank you for you help!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:00 pm

We have about 300k in our AA accounts. We would like to use them on flights to and from Japan on JL. Where do we find availability? Can only be booked by phone? Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
We have about 300k in our AA accounts. We would like to use them on flights to and from Japan on JL. Where do we find availability? Can only be booked by phone? Thanks.
JL availability can be searched on another OneWorld carrier like BA or QX. If JL makes seats available to BA, then that same inventory is almost always available to AA as well. There is unfortunately no direct way to search for JL inventory to AA, but searching for OneWorld inventory usually works.

Some people have pointed out that even using JL's own website to search for awards corresponds to AA inventory as well. I'm not a 100% sure on this because I've heard otherwise, but this is the method I used to book my last JL award redemption using AA miles.

And yes, you have to call to book the awards. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

More info here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...jal-metal.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
JL availability can be searched on another OneWorld carrier like BA or QX. If JL makes seats available to BA, then that same inventory is almost always available to AA as well. There is unfortunately no direct way to search for JL inventory to AA, but searching for OneWorld inventory usually works.

Some people have pointed out that even using JL's own website to search for awards corresponds to AA inventory as well. I'm not a 100% sure on this because I've heard otherwise, but this is the method I used to book my last JL award redemption using AA miles.

And yes, you have to call to book the awards. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

More info here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...jal-metal.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Thanks so much for your information. Do I assume correctly that in order to search on QF or BA I need to sign up for the respective FF accounts?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Thanks so much for your information. Do I assume correctly that in order to search on QF or BA I need to sign up for the respective FF accounts?
Yup.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
A recent post offering discount codes, along with its reply, have been moved to the appropriate thread:

AA 10% discount codes 15 Aug - 15 Nov 2013 (NO LONGER AVAILABLE) [Planes promo]

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.