Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Call AA and ask for the BA and AS record locators. With that information you will be able to visit the respective airlines and change your seats. As an AA Plat you will have access to "premium" seats in economy on AS. On BA you will need to pay for the seat assignment if done in advance.
Thank you HNL
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Baggage Allowance for AA Elite on primarily non-AA itinerary

I am an AA Platinum / OW Saphire and I am looking to book either BOS-JFK(AA)-TXL(AB)-ZRH(AB) or BOS-MIA(AA)-TXL(AB)-ZRH(AB). I will be checking-in with AA either way, where I will have an allowance for two bags, and then connecting to AB, which will be the overwater / most significant carrier.

Would my baggage allowance of two bags help me check-in both bags all the way to Zurich? I have been an elite for a few years now, but never had to check multiple bags before.

Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SkyMiles Gold, SPG Platinum

Long time FT voyeur and finally decided to jump into the FT fray. Here is my first question;

On the 762 flying between JFK-LAX-JFK, anyone out there experienced with the seats on row 20 (the exit row in Y)? I am curious how comfortable the seats are with the fixed arm rests for these 5 and 6 hour flights. Any other good Y seating suggestions. I here it is difficult on this route getting upgrades. I am only Platinum with AA. I usually fly J on several international routes but job only pays for Y flying CONUS and will be a regular on this route for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

We feel your pain!

Row 20 is as good, IMO, as it is going to get. Unless you are of significant corpulence, the immovable seat arm rests won't be a problem; the extra leg room will help if you are over, say, 5'6". It's nearly as close to up front (for easy egress) as possible, near all kinds of lavs and the galley.

Originally Posted by SevenSeas
Long time FT voyeur and finally decided to jump into the FT fray. Here is my first question;

On the 762 flying between JFK-LAX-JFK, anyone out there experienced with the seats on row 20 (the exit row in Y)? I am curious how comfortable the seats are with the fixed arm rests for these 5 and 6 hour flights. Any other good Y seating suggestions. I here it is difficult on this route getting upgrades. I am only Platinum with AA. I usually fly J on several international routes but job only pays for Y flying CONUS and will be a regular on this route for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 pm

Good question - may be best answered in the airberlin topbonus Forum, as they are the transocean operating carrier, and what they have to say is confusing - applies only to their own FFs, doesn't mention oneworld status.

Originally Posted by yminev
I am an AA Platinum / OW Saphire and I am looking to book either BOS-JFK(AA)-TXL(AB)-ZRH(AB) or BOS-MIA(AA)-TXL(AB)-ZRH(AB). I will be checking-in with AA either way, where I will have an allowance for two bags, and then connecting to AB, which will be the overwater / most significant carrier.

Would my baggage allowance of two bags help me check-in both bags all the way to Zurich? I have been an elite for a few years now, but never had to check multiple bags before.

Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
I have a question about MileSaver space and when it appears. I booked a trip to Rome a few months back, but had to use Iberia for the dates we wanted, but now the seasonal routes have been announced for Spring 2014. I cannot find MileSaver space for the date I want (so we don't have to stop in Madrid). I see the flight I'm looking for on other days, but not this particular Saturday. Does anyone have any advice - Is there a chance that a seat will open up in the MileSaver category? I'm checking daily, but is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks for any insight or advice!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beads97
I have a question about MileSaver space and when it appears. I booked a trip to Rome a few months back, but had to use Iberia for the dates we wanted, but now the seasonal routes have been announced for Spring 2014. I cannot find MileSaver space for the date I want (so we don't have to stop in Madrid). I see the flight I'm looking for on other days, but not this particular Saturday. Does anyone have any advice - Is there a chance that a seat will open up in the MileSaver category? I'm checking daily, but is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks for any insight or advice!
They come and go- probably no one here can predict precisely when saver seats are released.

An alternative to doing so may be using seat alerts on expert flyer. It is a subscription service, but it will notify you when an award seat becomes available on a particular flight.

Keep checking, and maybe something will pop up someday.

Last edited by incognitoMD; Aug 19, 2013 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:16 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SevenSeas

Row 20 on the 762 is horrible. Avoid at all cost. while there is extra knee room, there is poor leg room.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:15 am

This is where we will find the "YMMV" - I like the fact I have a bit more space and my knees are less likely to get mashed by the person in front of me (particularly if they are "commandos" and try to catch me by surprise after looking back and seeing my knees at the seatback - had one of those in Y on a TN redeye). 6'4" / 193 cm, a lot of that in femur.

Basically, IMO, coach on some of the older aircraft like the 762, is ughly - then again, the new 77W with ten abreast is going to be a true "King Oscar" experience.

King Oscar

Originally Posted by HNL
Row 20 on the 762 is horrible. Avoid at all cost. while there is extra knee room, there is poor leg room.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Good question - may be best answered in the airberlin topbonus Forum, as they are the transocean operating carrier, and what they have to say is confusing - applies only to their own FFs, doesn't mention oneworld status.
I called AB and they confirmed an extra bag for Emeralds and a fee of $193 for Saphires for a second checked bag in my case. Seems like a status match to AB to avoid the fee is worth it, at least in my situation (doubt ever will need to do a match to AB).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:45 pm

Thank you very much for calling, checking and sharing this somewhat sad news for Sapphires.

Originally Posted by yminev
I called AB and they confirmed an extra bag for Emeralds and a fee of $193 for Saphires for a second checked bag in my case. Seems like a status match to AB to avoid the fee is worth it, at least in my situation (doubt ever will need to do a match to AB).
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a tool to search mr deals from a certain city like Boston for aa flights only?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:51 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE
Is there a tool to search mr deals from a certain city like Boston for aa flights only?
The Mileage Run forum has a lots of tools that prove helpful in planning travel from a specific city.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

The Mileage Run forum has a lots of tools that prove helpful in planning travel from a specific city.
Thank you, I see Travelocity let me search for aa flights, but I don't have destination and time in mind. What I'm looking for is a tool that let me enter the city (Boston) and airline(American), then list all the deals
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:56 am

Travel Tools Forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.