Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Congrats on your first elite upgrade!

You are correct, however, to put "complimentary" in quotes. For Gold and Platinum members, upgrade aren't really complimentary. One needs to spend a "500-mile upgrade sticker" on them. You earn 4 every 10,000 miles flown, and need to use one for every, well, 500 miles of a segment.

More info here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...leUpgrades.jsp
Does this mean I have to either pay or use a 500 mile upgrade credit regardless of the fare I am traveling on?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It means you get complimentary upgrades with 500 mile "stickers", which you can earn a lot of or a few - four per 10,000 Base Miles / miles flown, or additional ones purchased (cheaper from the website than form a human). It's a lot cheaper than buying F fares, but at the same time, you are subordinated to Executive Platinum and Platinum flyers, and Gold flyers who have requested upgrades before you.

I strongly recommend downloading the Gold Benefits Guide, and a look at the requisite threads - in this case (these can all be found by reading the FAQ, by the way):

See here on aa.com

AAdvantage Gold Benefits Guide

Flyertalk Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated)

Originally Posted by ucacm
Does this mean I have to either pay or use a 500 mile upgrade credit regardless of the fare I am traveling on?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
GLD can upgrade Full fare Y without 500's, but those fares are pretty pricey.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:27 pm

Unless you travel on full Y/B fares, you must use 500 mile stickers to upgrade, and each upgrade costs $30 if bought online or at a kiosk.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:06 pm

Question EQM for BA sold flight?

Hello,

I have a question that I've tried to answer myself, but haven't been able to figure out. I am a new frequent flyer and I mostly fly AA. However, I have a flight soon on BA and am trying to figure out if I should use my AA frequent flyer number -- which I would prefer if I'll earn EQM since I've never flown BA before and don't expect I will again soon.

The flight on BA was sold by BA and is an I class fare (flight numbers 0286, 0287). If I use my AA FF# for the journey, will I get elite qualifying miles? I'd think yes, but I've seen a some language on the aa.com site that seem to indicate the flight needs to be sold by AA and have an AA flight number in order to earn EQM. In particular, the text "ticket must reflect an American Airlines coded flight number" from this page ( https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...quirements.jsp ) has me concerned, since the ticket was sold by BA and will have BA flight numbers.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:36 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, Mike.

The proper page to look at when flying BA is this one: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp

It reveals that you will earn full EQM, 1.5 EQ Points per Base / EQ Mile and you will earn 25% bonus miles (redeemable but not elite-qualifying) for flying in C, D, I, J or R.

Just be sure your AAdvantage FFN is entered into your record (Manage My Booking on the BA website can likely do that, and you can probably select a seat as well - 62A or 62K are my favorites, up in the Stretched Upper Deck and with miles of leg room.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, JDiver. I'll put my AA FFN into my record.

I'll see if I can get those seats.

Best,

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:59 pm

Bon voyage! You can see the versions of 747s BA flies at several sites, including here at seatguru.com; some seats are better than others for solo flyers. The SUD always feels more intimate - almost like your own small aircraft.

Originally Posted by mcinsf
Thanks for the quick reply, JDiver. I'll put my AA FFN into my record.

I'll see if I can get those seats.

Best,

Mike
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:23 am

Hi

We're new to AA!

After thinking we'll definitely be flying from LHR-LAS and then MCO-LHR by first on BA later this year.... we've recently discovered the new AA 777 first!

And we have turned!!! However we know nothing about how to get the best deals and what sales might appear. I found plenty of information about past sales with BA, however I am struggling to find similar information for transatlantic flights for AA I know sales are never guaranteed, however any expert tips would be appreciated!

We're hoping to fly: LHR-ORD-LAS (Oct) and return through MCO-ORD-LHR (Nov).

Thank you all, I am really thankful for any help you can give us to bag our first AA First flights ^
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Moomin126
Hi

We're new to AA!

After thinking we'll definitely be flying from LHR-LAS and then MCO-LHR by first on BA later this year.... we've recently discovered the new AA 777 first!

And we have turned!!! However we know nothing about how to get the best deals and what sales might appear. I found plenty of information about past sales with BA, however I am struggling to find similar information for transatlantic flights for AA I know sales are never guaranteed, however any expert tips would be appreciated!

We're hoping to fly: LHR-ORD-LAS (Oct) and return through MCO-ORD-LHR (Nov).

Thank you all, I am really thankful for any help you can give us to bag our first AA First flights ^
Are you planning on booking award tickets or revenue tickets?

Also, the new AA first (aka first class on the 777-300ER/77W) is not available on the LHR-ORD route. If that is what you are set on doing, you should look into routing through JFK/DFW/LAX.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
All AA awards to Europe have ca. $250 charge

I have been looking for biz award tix to Europe from JFK.

I'm getting a YV or YR (I think) charge of around $450 on each biz award ticket, regardless of the airline or destination. Plus various country based charges. Is this normal?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes. If there is F availability on the long haul segment, I would confirm it now. If there is Y sAAver availability, you can take a voluntary downgrade. Then, if F availability opens up later (or on a different DFW-LAX flight), you may upgrade or switch for no fee. Changing the dates or routing without changing O/D will incur no fee.

If you are still in Y on that domestic segment on the day of the flight, you should be above Y>F upgraders on the airport list.
Thanks!

I have one more question around the O/D.

If I am flying DFW-LAX-HKG-SGN and the only options available today are DFW-SNA (then cab to) LAX-HKG-SGN, is that ok to ticket now then if space from DFW-LAX opens up to change over to that one at no additional cost?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by nor4
I have been looking for biz award tix to Europe from JFK.

I'm getting a YV or YR (I think) charge of around $450 on each biz award ticket, regardless of the airline or destination. Plus various country based charges. Is this normal?
No, it's not. Unless there has been a very recent change, the only surcharges when redeeming AA miles should be on BA (high) and on IB (modest).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by SWFA
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes. If there is F availability on the long haul segment, I would confirm it now. If there is Y sAAver availability, you can take a voluntary downgrade. Then, if F availability opens up later (or on a different DFW-LAX flight), you may upgrade or switch for no fee. Changing the dates or routing without changing O/D will incur no fee.

If you are still in Y on that domestic segment on the day of the flight, you should be above Y>F upgraders on the airport list.
Thanks!

I have one more question around the O/D.

If I am flying DFW-LAX-HKG-SGN and the only options available today are DFW-SNA (then cab to) LAX-HKG-SGN, is that ok to ticket now then if space from DFW-LAX opens up to change over to that one at no additional cost?
Yes. Grab the DFW-SNA flight while its there ands nitro the LAX flights for inventory.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:36 am

I travelled thru Etihad airways from Tulsa to Bangalore on July 3rd 2013. My trip has change of flight at Chicago and Abudhabi. I provided my AA frequent flier # during reservation and it printed in my boarding pass too. But I see under my account, i got miles posted only from AUH to BLR and no miles posted from TUL to ORD and ORD to AUH. I have requested thru Request Credit section today.
My Wife travelled same flight on Apr 24th and the same situation. I requested Credit and nothing is posted yet.
Should i contact AA or Etihad on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.