Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by ckx2
Hi,

AA.com is driving me crazy. I have booked several flights for a trip in October 2013. The bookings were done by a travel agency based in Germany back in March 2013.

Since then I am trying to access my reserveration in order to change my seating, but I am unable to do so because of an annoying bug(?) in AA's booking procedure.

It seems that neither aa.de nor aa.com is able to show up my reserveration due the fact that a travel agency is involved. I am getting the same error over and over again:

We are experiencing technical difficulties and are unable to display your reservation at this time. Please try again.

I have tried to call American Airlines German hotline which refered to the Record Locator / Sabre Code (which I already had), unfortunately thats it - they don't have any idea and suggested me to call the US hotline instead. So I did.

US Hotline was also not able to look into my reserveration because of the same error (hooray). They said they cannot do anything and I should call the German hotline instead.

So here I am, almost 5 months passed since the booking was done not able to get into my reserveration getting send from hotline A to B and vice versa.

I also attempted to get help via twitter, but as expected they don't have any clue.

SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS.
If AAgent (at any location, be it US / Europe or any other place) is also not able to pull up your reservation with record locator, you have something serious on your hands. Call your travel agent to make sure your reservation is indeed in the system. It is not unheard of that travel agents try to get you a different fare class and in the process your reservation gets modified.

Cheers!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Campath
Booked 3 flights on AA using Avios. I got the record locator from AA and added it to my AA account. However it shows the status as unknown. Also it does not allow me to fill in the passenger details. Is this expected when you book a flight using Avios? How do I fill in my details?
You will want to call AA or BA immediately. I don't know which one can sort it out but I remember reading someone else having this "unknown" status too and when they got to the airport, AA said they did not have a ticket in the system.

So AA tried to make them buy another ticket outright and the only seats available were business class which were super expensive.

They had to call BA to get it sorted out and then AA got them on the flight. (After trying to make them pay extra for J again).
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: A/C SE 100K(*G), WS Gold, marriott gold, Fairmont Plat, Hilton gold,starwood plat
First time posting to AA board, looking for some info. I have a flight booked YYZ-MIA in first class, connecting in MIA to TPA that flight is in economy. Q does the first class ticket allow me admission to the AA lounge upon departure at YYZ? Q Does the same day first class ticket allow me access to AA lounge in MIA for my layover of approx 3.5hrs?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

When I call AA from my company it automatically thinks I am the owner of the company I work for and the call is answered as "Executive Platinum" followed by the agent's name. Being that the my employer spends a lot of money at AA using his credit card for all employees' company travel, one of my coworkers said I should definitely call from work and book my travel via phone using the Executive Platinum line as "you never know, you may get some additional benefits out of it."

I suspect that this colleague is wrong, but can anyone tell me if there is any real benefit of reserving via phone and being associated somehow with a business owner who spends a great deal of money with AA?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by meetingup
First time posting to AA board, looking for some info. I have a flight booked YYZ-MIA in first class, connecting in MIA to TPA that flight is in economy. Q does the first class ticket allow me admission to the AA lounge upon departure at YYZ? Q Does the same day first class ticket allow me access to AA lounge in MIA for my layover of approx 3.5hrs?
AA does not consider YYZ to be an "international" flight for the purposes of lounge access. So you will not have any lounge access based on your class of service.

You can access the lounge if you have a one-day/30-day/annual membership or via your AMEX Platinum/Centurion card.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by meetingup
AA does not offer First Class on its flights to/from Canada. AA's Business Class between Canada and the U.S. does not provide lounge access at any airport.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:00 pm

I am flying an award Business Class ticket from BOS to WAW (through JFK and then HEL) in September. I'm flying the transatlantic portion of the ticket on Finnair but the initial segment on AA.

Finnair just updated their baggage policy, where I'm allowed 3 checked bags without any additional cost. Will the Finnair baggage policy or the AA baggage policy (2 free bags) apply for the initial segment of the trip?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Whoops just found out that AA has 3 free bags for business class as well. Guess I answered my own questions, my mistake!!

Last edited by BUgrad; Jul 31, 2013 at 1:10 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am not the baggage guru, but I believe under IATA Resolution 302 the Most Significant Carrier would be Finnair and would take precedence over AA in this instance. But it looks like you already got the answer you need.

Originally Posted by BUgrad
I am flying an award Business Class ticket from BOS to WAW (through JFK and then HEL) in September. I'm flying the transatlantic portion of the ticket on Finnair but the initial segment on AA.

Finnair just updated their baggage policy, where I'm allowed 3 checked bags without any additional cost. Will the Finnair baggage policy or the AA baggage policy (2 free bags) apply for the initial segment of the trip?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Whoops just found out that AA has 3 free bags for business class as well. Guess I answered my own questions, my mistake!!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd not hold my breath; you are likely to get a more skilled employee, but I think that's going to be it.

Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
When I call AA from my company it automatically thinks I am the owner of the company I work for and the call is answered as "Executive Platinum" followed by the agent's name. Being that the my employer spends a lot of money at AA using his credit card for all employees' company travel, one of my coworkers said I should definitely call from work and book my travel via phone using the Executive Platinum line as "you never know, you may get some additional benefits out of it."

I suspect that this colleague is wrong, but can anyone tell me if there is any real benefit of reserving via phone and being associated somehow with a business owner who spends a great deal of money with AA?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Does AA have plans to make DC connect less?

Specifically, my work routes are to DEN and ATL, and I often visit friends in BOS...I'm about to switch to United just cause of the direct flights, but I'm wondering if the merger will make more routes available to AA.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:04 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pritomd
Does AA have plans to make DC connect less?

Specifically, my work routes are to DEN and ATL, and I often visit friends in BOS...I'm about to switch to United just cause of the direct flights, but I'm wondering if the merger will make more routes available to AA.
DCA will remain a hub for the new AA. US/AA will be required to give up a few slots to satisfy the DOJ. Depending upon how many slots they are forced to divest will determine what gets cut.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:14 pm

Business saver award seats to Europe

It has been quite awhile since I have attempted to use AAdvantage to Europe. Upon looking for business saver seats from US-Europe, it appears that all such seats are either on BA with high surcharges and/or Air Berlin (poorer product in business). The only way to seemingly get on a AA flight in business is with the 100,000 miles/seat as opposed to the 50,000miles/seat (unless you want BA or AB). Am I correct in this????Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by garygleck
It has been quite awhile since I have attempted to use AAdvantage to Europe. Upon looking for business saver seats from US-Europe, it appears that all such seats are either on BA with high surcharges and/or Air Berlin (poorer product in business). The only way to seemingly get on a AA flight in business is with the 100,000 miles/seat as opposed to the 50,000miles/seat (unless you want BA or AB). Am I correct in this????Thank you in advance.
Without more details of the route and timeframe, I'm afraid we can't help double-check your search results. We can tell you, however, that 50k miles/seat each way on AA from the US to Europe is possible. Availability is not guaranteed, but certainly available in some instances. For example, I can find that for JFK to LHR in January...

Last edited by SFOPhD; Jul 31, 2013 at 11:12 pm Reason: added example
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:03 am

Thanks, I understand...

I was looking at May/June 2014 from southern California to BCN or MAD or CDG LHR...I finally found one date, May 12 where there is an AA flight...Nevertheless, 99% of the business and economy saver awards were through BA or AB(mostly BA)...Thank you for your reply...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by garygleck
I was looking at May/June 2014 from southern California to BCN or MAD or CDG LHR...I finally found one date, May 12 where there is an AA flight...Nevertheless, 99% of the business and economy saver awards were through BA or AB(mostly BA)...Thank you for your reply...
More sAAver business space may open up. It's just too hard to predict availability. Thankfully, you're planning early! Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.