Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by stoehrcov
Any suggestions on how to have the best service in first class?

About 33 percent of the time average/poor service for me
Smile and say thank you?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I just purchased tickets with a few e-vouchers.
When I check my reservation at aa.com, the status says "unknown".
I know it takes a while until the status becomes "Ticketed on....", but is it normal?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I just purchased tickets with a few e-vouchers.
When I check my reservation at aa.com, the status says "unknown".
I know it takes a while until the status becomes "Ticketed on....", but is it normal?
AA.com is undergoing some form of maintenance/upgrade that is causing tons of issues for everyone. If you are concerned, call AA and ask.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Hello all, have a question on how cash and miles upgrades work.

I'm plotting out how to upgrade DFW-HKG with cash & miles as part of our honeymoon next year. I'm wondering how those work - obviously on a space available basis - but do we know which inventory those upgrades come from? I don't have EF at the moment but am thinking of subscribing just because I want to make sure we have as good a chance of upgrading those legs as possible. AFAIK DFW-HKG isn't bookable yet but we basically have our honeymoon dates set, so literally the first day it's available for booking I'll probably hop on (I imagine a bunch of others will be doing so as well).

TIA!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:57 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Hello all, have a question on how cash and miles upgrades work.

I'm plotting out how to upgrade DFW-HKG with cash & miles as part of our honeymoon next year. I'm wondering how those work - obviously on a space available basis - but do we know which inventory those upgrades come from? I don't have EF at the moment but am thinking of subscribing just because I want to make sure we have as good a chance of upgrading those legs as possible. AFAIK DFW-HKG isn't bookable yet but we basically have our honeymoon dates set, so literally the first day it's available for booking I'll probably hop on (I imagine a bunch of others will be doing so as well).

TIA!

You will be looking for "C" inventory. This is only viewable online through ExpertFlyer.com or by calling AA directly.

If not available you can be put on a waitlist which is ordered by status, fare class (Y/B), and then request date.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I am currently an AA member but with no status and I have questions regarding the 500-mile upgrade. All the questions are assuming that I am booked in discounted economy (N or others) and that there are available seats for upgrade.

1. If I want to purchase a 500-mile upgrade, can I do that at the time of booking or only when I check in at the airport?
2. Does purchased upgrades cost $30 for every 500 miles of flight, or $30 per segment?
3. As a non-elite, is it possible that my purchased upgrade will be rejected?
4. If I am AA Gold and am requesting a 500-mile upgrade, do I need to pay anything?
5. If I am AA Gold and have not requested a 500-mile upgrade, is it possible that I will get automatically upgraded?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by agp423
I am currently an AA member but with no status and I have questions regarding the 500-mile upgrade. All the questions are assuming that I am booked in discounted economy (N or others) and that there are available seats for upgrade.

1. If I want to purchase a 500-mile upgrade, can I do that at the time of booking or only when I check in at the airport?
2. Does purchased upgrades cost $30 for every 500 miles of flight?
Yes to both, but you will not be able to use them without status
3. If I am AA Gold and am requesting a 500-mile upgrade, do I need to pay anything?
Yes. Same as above. Only EXP get complimentary 500-mile upgrades
4. If I am AA Gold and have not requested a 500-mile upgrade, is it possible that I will get automatically upgraded?
Yes, it is theoretically possible, but it will not happen. Without using some form of upgrade instrument, you will not get upgraded
Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thank you very much brp. I have one more question: if I am upgraded to business or first, do I earn miles/segments based on my original booked class or my upgraded class?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thank you very much brp. I have one more question: if I am upgraded to business or first, do I earn miles/segments based on my original booked class or my upgraded class?
Original booking class. Occasionally slips happen and one gets credit (both extra RDM and extra EQP) for the upgrade, but don't count on it. Also, there's no such thing as bonus segments - just RDM and EQP.

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:57 am

If you're upgraded, you should get miles/points according to your original booked class.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

2. Does purchased upgrades cost $30 for every 500 miles of flight, or $30 per segment?
3. As a non-elite, is it possible that my purchased upgrade will be rejected?
To be clear, members without status cannot use 500 mile upgrades (unless flying on full fare (Y or B) coach).

Kiosks will sometimes offer non-status passengers paid upgrades at time of check-in, but these are paid with cash, not with 500-milers, and tend to cost a little more than the 500-milers would have. Search for "LFBU" if you want to find out more about these.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:46 pm

Fare Change after purchase on AA

Hi I purchased a first class ticket in August and now the price has gone down about $125 per ticket. I purchased two. I did call AA and asked if there could be an adjustment or anything. Credit for a future trip. Well the customer service rep was best guess sleepy or lazy or something. Please understand I was very nice and was never rude.

She said we do not do that.

Years ago (I know - in a galaxy far far away) TWA used to either refund my credit card or issue travel vouchers.

Any suggestions?

I have had the theory that the later your purchased the more the fare could be. Any suggestions!

Thanks to all!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:57 pm

Hi I purchased a first class ticket in August and now the price has gone down about $125 per ticket. I purchased two. I did call AA and asked if there could be an adjustment or anything. Credit for a future trip. Well the customer service rep was best guess sleepy or lazy or something. Please understand I was very nice and was never rude.

She said we do not do that.

Years ago (I know - in a galaxy far far away) TWA used to either refund my credit card or issue travel vouchers.

Any suggestions?

I have had the theory that the later your purchased the more the fare could be. Any suggestions!

Thanks to all!
Email the AA.com support group. Use the "Contact Us" page and they may be more willing to help. I think they have a look back period that if the price falls on AA.com you get a credit, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Years ago AA did that, too, and then they published a policy that they would not allow fare rollovers at no charge and you would have to pay the reticketing fee to take advantage of a fare drop. I use to benefit from fare rollovers quite a bit on Europe tickets, buying early and getting a credit back when fares drop. It's just not out there any longer.

Your only real option at this point is if there is a significant change to the flight schedule and you want a refund based on that.

If it's a first class ticket, though, have you checked the fares rules to see if it is fully refundable, or is it a coach ticket with a guaranteed upgrade to F?

Originally Posted by salesflyerguy
I think they have a look back period that if the price falls on AA.com you get a credit, but I'm not entirely sure.
AA hasn't offered anything like this for a number of years (thinking at least 6-7 years now).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
You will be looking for "C" inventory. This is only viewable online through ExpertFlyer.com or by calling AA directly.

If not available you can be put on a waitlist which is ordered by status, fare class (Y/B), and then request date.
Thanks! Just curious about how many seats are usually bookable in C - according to AA's 77W seat map there are 52 business seats - so how many would be available in C? Just trying to plot out my strategy.
Appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.