FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:24 pm
cpmgrp

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Newbie 1st ?

I've tried searching to no avail, perhaps someone can clear this up. I'm at an age where this will be my last big-bang foreign excursion. I've used points twice in the past for 'round-the-world' adventures and now want to go back and spend some real time in a few favorites - mostly UK/Europe. I've got 200,000 AA points and about 175,000 Amex points (which I'd prefer to save for a nice hotel 3-4 times; cash for the remainder).

Because of age & military disability, Business (or First) is a "must." I had planned on Business expecting that those shorter legs without a business section would get me booted up to First (as happens with most US carriers). However a small sentence or two on the AA page caught my attention (something to the effect of): Business One-World points travelers must fly coach on partner airlines. Ouch! Did I mis-read that? Is it a firm policy or only if First is not available? If true, it just knocked my plans back by 5,000-10,000 miles as I'd have to up my award to First where there's no fine-print. Just S. Fl to EWR/JFK eats a bunch before I even leave the country.

I have no "status," as most of my points are from my business' credit card purchases. I'm an experienced flyer, just not enough to be 'Elite', 'Exalted', 'Diamond' or 'Poo-bah.' Just plain ol' me. I know enough not to buy an MP-3 Player with points (lucky to get a half-cent) and that International First/Business gets the best points-to-dollar value (5-7 cents).

Thoughts, suggestions, corrections appreciated - even if I have to convert some Amex to DL or pay cash on short European legs. Thanks, I'll be lurking over the next several months.