Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Buying AA miles: 100k for 1850 $. Is this a good deal or not so much?
It depends.

1. Are you buying the miles from an authorized seller?

2. What would be the cash cost of the travel for which you would redeem the miles?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage
For the AAdvantage eShopping offers:

-When something says 1 mile/$ is that in addition to the base offer from a credit card? (In my case a Citi Platinum)

-Do you have to follow a link from the eShopping portal to purchase from any of their dealers, or will your account register it regardless?

-(unrelated) This could probably go in the CC thread as well, but, I'll ask here as well: How long after purchases go on your statement do miles get calculated and added to your AAdvantage account?

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you are purchasing from an authorised seller (aa.com, buypoints.com, etc.) it's really your decision.

If one buys from an individual or say, a seller on eBay, craigslist or a broker, that person is violating AAdvantage terms and conditions and could find their trip cancelled at the counter, only being allowed to fly if they pay a full walk-up fare, and even possible confiscation of miles, status and account closure.

Buying AA miles: 100k for 1850 $. Is this a good deal or not so much?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:46 am

Yes, miles per dollar from an authorised purchase is in addition to your credit card miles per dollar.

I believe this is discussed more thoroughly in the proper thread, AAdvantage E-Shopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors (consolidated), but I believe you must sign in and follow the link or risk earning no miles other than the credit card miles. And that thread discusses the lengths of time before miles "hit" as well as other experiences people have had with the provider, Cartera.

Searching thread titles, results in threads, for keyword eshopping, reveals some threads as well.

Originally Posted by pwmboslax
For the AAdvantage eShopping offers:

-When something says 1 mile/$ is that in addition to the base offer from a credit card? (In my case a Citi Platinum)

-Do you have to follow a link from the eShopping portal to purchase from any of their dealers, or will your account register it regardless?

-(unrelated) This could probably go in the CC thread as well, but, I'll ask here as well: How long after purchases go on your statement do miles get calculated and added to your AAdvantage account?

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:53 am

Not really. The American Airlines Arrivals Lounge is landside (you must pass through HM Immigration and arrive in the UK, and pass through security etc. to go back airside), and be oneworld Emerald or actually flying in Business or First (or pay USD 90 plus VAT). The Arrivals Lounge has showers, courtesy suit pressing, etc. and closes at 1400 / 2 PM.

FT Thread: LHR / London Heathrow T3 AA Arrivals Lounge (consolidated)

At London Heathrow, by regulation, airside lounges are only accessible to departing passengers. Your best bet is to use Flight Connections to proceed to Terminal 1 and use a lounge with shower there if you have access.

Originally Posted by Houminer
Flying ORD-LHR in F and then connecting to LY.
Does AA have a ounge that I can shower in without clearing passport control?

The LY lounge does not have a shower..

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL UA US
Question Which aircraft on my flight?

Haven't flown AA for ten years, but have an opportunity to fly them
JFK-BCN in November. Seat guru and expert warn of up to five possible iterations of the 767. Short of my reading the entire AA forum re updates to that aircraft, are there

any suggestions on how to find which one will be on the flight I schedule.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pincus
Haven't flown AA for ten years, but have an opportunity to fly them
JFK-BCN in November. Seat guru and expert warn of up to five possible iterations of the 767. Short of my reading the entire AA forum re updates to that aircraft, are there

any suggestions on how to find which one will be on the flight I schedule.

Thanks for any help.
You will be flying the 767-300 (763). There is only one configuration for this type of aircraft.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._767-300_B.php
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL UA US
Thanks so much

Originally Posted by HNL
You will be flying the 767-300 (763). There is only one configuration for this type of aircraft.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._767-300_B.php
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Good value per AA mile ?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It depends.

1. Are you buying the miles from an authorized seller?

2. What would be the cash cost of the travel for which you would redeem the miles?

Ui, hmmmm... My question was actually not so much about "legitimate source", it was more about the price. But I can tell you the source is 100 % legitimate (points.com via US airways)

I have no idea about the value of AA miles. But I will soon be forced to transfer my 3m miles from US to AA.

Wondering now if I shall purchase more miles whilst it still is US? They will then become AA miles.

So again my question: Is 18.75 $ per 1k AA miles a good value or not so much?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"So again my question: Is 18.75 $ per 1k AA miles a good value or not so much?"

And again, I ask you, what would be the cash cost of the travel for which you would redeem the miles? It's certainly possible to get value far in excess of 1.875 cents/mile with AA miles, but it's also possible to get value less than that, depending on the type of redemptions you make. Generally, you'll get better value with international premium-class redemptions, than with domestic Coach redemptions.

Take a look at the redemption charts on aa.com to get an idea of the current cost of various types of redemptions. (Of course, no one knows how, if at all, the redemption charts will change once the AA-US merger is finalized.)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by guv1976

"So again my question: Is 18.75 $ per 1k AA miles a good value or not so much?"

And again, I ask you, what would be the cash cost of the travel for which you would redeem the miles? It's certainly possible to get value far in excess of 1.875 cents/mile with AA miles, but it's also possible to get value less than that, depending on the type of redemptions you make. Generally, you'll get better value with international premium-class redemptions, than with domestic Coach redemptions.

Take a look at the redemption charts on aa.com to get an idea of the current cost of various types of redemptions. (Of course, no one knows how, if at all, the redemption charts will change once the AA-US merger is finalized.)
I'll go a bit farther. After you look at the redemption charts, do some sample searches on AA.com for actual award flights, to get an idea of current saver-level availability. It ain't what it used to be, though it's still better than US's "low" availability.

If I had imminent use for the miles (e.g. an upcoming J class trip to Europe), that's a price I'd consider buying at. But given that you already have 3mm in the bank, I certainly wouldn't be paying cash for more. There's no telling what award availability or pricing will be by the time you've burned thru 3mm and would need more, especially with the merger and US management taking over.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Ua, ba, delta
Question: trying to find out if a London stopover is possible when flying ba metal on an aa award flight to Berlin from ord.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimhoelzel
Question: trying to find out if a London stopover is possible when flying ba metal on an aa award flight to Berlin from ord.

Thanks for any help.
Only on a distance-based "Explorer" award; not on a one-way award.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: Ua, ba, delta
Answers my question. Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:43 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I have no idea about the value of AA miles. But I will soon be forced to transfer my 3m miles from US to AA.

Wondering now if I shall purchase more miles whilst it still is US? They will then become AA miles.
If you're wondering about post-merger, the only people that know are Doug Parker and company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.