Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:19 am

I fare.

I have pruchases 2 tickets on I fare which are non refundable.
In case I need to cancel, can I use the tickets value (less USD 200 ,?) for future travels on AA ,? Do I have one year from the date of purchase to use the money ?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have several threads on the new aircraft and seats. Use advanced search, search titles with results as threads, for the keyword "77w" - just that way, wrapped in quotes.

But the 772 (older 777-200ER) is not likely to get the new product until 2014, if what I think other members have noted is correct, and the 777-300ER, or 77W, is not scheduled to Asia yet AFAIK.

Originally Posted by mkjr
checked a few pages after i posted this question but did not see a response...anyone?

Am I missing the thread about the roll out of the new J product to the existing 777 and 767 fleet? I am looking at planning a trip into Japan and out of Hong Kong. Trying to figure out if I book F instead of J on AA to either HND or NRT although if it was new J, that would more than suffice. AA says "We are introducing new fully lie-flat seats in First and Business Class beginning with the new Boeing 777-300ER and rolling out across our international dual-aisle aircraft throughout 2013." so i am trying to see what the roll out schedule is...

happy to book just J since I LOVE CX's J.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by JDiver
We have several threads on the new aircraft and seats. Use advanced search, search titles with results as threads, for the keyword "77w" - just that way, wrapped in quotes.

But the 772 (older 777-200ER) is not likely to get the new product until 2014, if what I think other members have noted is correct, and the 777-300ER, or 77W, is not scheduled to Asia yet AFAIK.
thanks. I would be looking at flying next july to NRT or HND on AA out of JFK so trying to consider this or just book YYZ-HKG on CX to be assured the decent J product. thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:47 am

I just called AA to redeem a one-way economy ticket from CTS to KMQ via HND on JL. The representative told me that the miles required is 15,000 miles per person because there are 2 segments. Note that I'm not stopping over at HND. I thought that the miles required should be 7,500 miles per person for a one-way ticket within Japan. Which should be the right amount? I have the rep hold the ticket for now.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
AA 77W on 106/7

I am booking another flight between LHR and JFK and I am looking at AA100 and AA106.

I know the 77W is pretty much a given for AA100/101 but I am wondering if the 77W is keeping to schedule on the AA106/107 flights? On the booking engine it is showing 77W for AA106 in late July.

Can anyone confirm that AA is sticking to its 77W schedule and the 77W wont be removed from this flight?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by CX828
I am booking another flight between LHR and JFK and I am looking at AA100 and AA106.

I know the 77W is pretty much a given for AA100/101 but I am wondering if the 77W is keeping to schedule on the AA106/107 flights? On the booking engine it is showing 77W for AA106 in late July.

Can anyone confirm that AA is sticking to its 77W schedule and the 77W wont be removed from this flight?

Thanks for any insight.
I'm afraid you know as much as everyone else at the moment. Equipment can always change last minute. No one has an official word on 106 being changed out of a 77W, but neither can anyone guarantee that things won't change in a couple of months.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Hi again, folks -

I plan to book our first-ever pair of AA award tickets for a projected November trip. It's international (hopefully with off-peak MilesAAvers), direct flights; we have no AA status. The trip's not over Thanksgiving, but not so far away from it that I wouldn't be happier booking ASAP. I expect no changes to origin/destination.

Question: What if I have to 1) change the dates or 2) cancel the trip?
- If I have to change the dates - say I find out in July - and I do this well in advance of 21 days from the trip (and if there are still award seats on the new dates) can I do this change online without charge, or do I need to call an AA office and pay fees? I see on the AA site:
Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver® and AAnytime® award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for (...people with status)).
But I don't know whether the above means that I have to pay if I change the reservations less than 21 days: a) before the start of travel, b) from the time I first booked the tix, i.e. I'd need to wait 3 weeks after the first reservations, or c) if I change the travel dates by less than 3 weeks. (Or whether international award tix have their own rules on some other AA web page!)
- If I cancel them (if the trip doesn't happen) in advance of the 21-day border, how much do I lose in fees and/or forfeits? Would it be $150 for "reinstating mileage" as per:
You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired...When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. (...any more are $25 each)
or something otherwise?
Again - please remember we have no AA status, so there'd be no waiving of fees. (I don't think the Citi AA card can help us there. ) I just need to know and weigh the options. TIA!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No charge to change dates, as long as the new date is at least 21 days past the date that the award was originally ticketed.

Reinstatement of miles, if desired, is $150, plus $25 for each additional passenger whose award came from the same AAdvantage account. Or you can just forfeit the miles, with no fee.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
No charge to change dates, as long as the new date is at least 21 days past the date that the award was originally ticketed.
So... I'm probably okay there (yay!) Note: My unfamiliarity with the general awards 'lingo' is why I'm not asking these things in the awards thread...
Or you can just forfeit the miles, with no fee.
Ah, no; unless I'm reading something wrong, it looks like I couldn't ever re-buy 40K miles for even such a cheap international RT award for anything like $150/175, and it's taken me years to earn these.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm afraid you know as much as everyone else at the moment. Equipment can always change last minute. No one has an official word on 106 being changed out of a 77W, but neither can anyone guarantee that things won't change in a couple of months.
Yes, fair enough. Perhaps I should just go for AA100.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I would like to check the history of my AAdvantage account (earning, redemptions, bonus points, etc.). When I log in to my account on aa.com the furthest back I can go is January 2013. Is there a way to see further back than this?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:49 am

Sorry if this question was asked before but when I searched, I couldn't find a definitive answer. If I cancel a refundable ticket on AA.com, will I get a full refund to my cc or a voucher for future travel? TIA
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by kn9ght
Sorry if this question was asked before but when I searched, I couldn't find a definitive answer. If I cancel a refundable ticket on AA.com, will I get a full refund to my cc or a voucher for future travel? TIA
Fully refundable tickets result in an actual refund to the original method of payment. Non-refundable but changeable tickets result in a voucher, minus change fee.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I would like to check the history of my AAdvantage account (earning, redemptions, bonus points, etc.). When I log in to my account on aa.com the furthest back I can go is January 2013. Is there a way to see further back than this?
Unfortunately, no, not online. If you call AA they may be able to produce records going further back. They may also charge you a research fee to do it.

Personally, I copy my online summary to a text file every month. Something to consider going forward.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:43 pm

Does AA release award seats closer to travel date?

I'm flying one-way JFK-LHR on July 19, and with my very tight schedule (must depart between 8-10am), there are only two flights I can take, one AA and one BA. I'd like to fly in C. If I don't want to pay big YQ I should avoid BA, correct?

Currently the AA flight has an award seat in Y available, but none in C. Does AA tend to release more C seats closer to the travel date? If I book the award seat in Y, and C becomes available, will I be charged a fee to "upgrade" to a C award?

The least expensive AA (Y) seat for purchase is currently about $1K, and it is refundable. I could book the refundable Y ticket, and cancel it if a C award becomes available. If C does't open up, I could still cancel the revenue ticket if the Y award remains available. Is there penalty fee for booking close to the travel date? And are there any logic flaws in this idea of purchasing a refundable ticket?

For an additional wrinkle, there's also a PE seat for $2K on BA (also refundable), which I'd much prefer over Y on AA. (I'm a POS and that little bit makes a difference, plus I prefer the solid divider between myself and my seatmate, even if I'm more squished.) But the $1K difference in price is very steep.

Finally, in case there are any UA experts lurking here, there's also an EWR-LHR option with just a Y award available now. Same question - might UA release a C seat closer to travel? For that, I'd be willing to slog JFK-EWR.

On a final note, I was surprised that the lowest cost tickets (still v. expensive) for both of the flights are refundable. Is that because the cheaper, non-refundable fares are all s/o, or is it something to do with my one-way ticket?

I know there are a lot of questions here - thanks for any insight you can offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.