Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Personally I think this notion that Y pax will endure any level of discomfort and bad service for a cheaper fare is hogwash.
The problem is that time and time again people vote with their wallet and show that you can't charge a premium for a coach seat and justify it on service/comfort grounds.

So the fare has to stay cheap and then you try to show that your cheap seat is better than the other guy's cheap seat.

In that battle AA are actually quite well placed as their seat will be both cheap and new unlike most of the other guys and they will be able to hit a few key differentiators on IFE, power etc. and gloss over the 3-4-3 issue that most infrequent travelers will not really focus on anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wlciii
I took a tour today as well and have posted some pics over at: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=5436

I'm not 100% on this but I could have sworn that the product people on board showing off MCE said "the seats are actually wider too." Hard to tell now looking back at my photos but they certainly did look wider given how tight they are back in regular economy. Regardless, I think the MCE cabin is fantastic. If you ever do end up alone in economy go straight for 33B/J.
That is what I heard on the tour as well. Not sure if it is entirely accurate however.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T:20165692
The problem is that time and time again people vote with their wallet and show that you can't charge a premium for a coach seat and justify it on service/comfort grounds.

So the fare has to stay cheap and then you try to show that your cheap seat is better than the other guy's cheap seat.

In that battle AA are actually quite well placed as their seat will be both cheap and new unlike most of the other guys and they will be able to hit a few key differentiators on IFE, power etc. and gloss over the 3-4-3 issue that most infrequent travelers will not really focus on anyway.
If Y pax were willing to put up with discomfort for cheaper fares, then why don't all 767 operators go 2-4-2? It's possible, and some charter/deep discount airlines have done it. Why not have 29 inch pitch on all planes? Clearly there is a certain line beyond which most travelers are not willing to venture in order to save a few bucks. 3-4-3 comes dangerously close to that line and IMO probably crosses it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
While this is true up to a point, I think 3-4-3 on a 777 crosses a certain line that many pax will not accept.

If Y pax were willing to put up with discomfort for cheaper fares, then why don't all 767 operators go 2-4-2? It's possible, and some charter/deep discount airlines have done it. Why not have 29 inch pitch on all planes? Clearly there is a certain line beyond which most travelers are not willing to venture in order to save a few bucks. 3-4-3 comes dangerously close to that line and IMO probably crosses it.
Several airlines fly 3-4-3 and have flown this configuration for a while. FT'ers avoid them (if possible), however most others just don't care.

There is certainly a threshold beyond which people will attempt to avoid traveling. 3-4-3 is close, but not enough, IMO.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:13 am

Did anyone who was on the tour of the 777-300er notice if the business seats rt behind the FClass and rt in front of the bulkhead are good seats. I am will on the LHR-DFW flight.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I thought there was wifi internationally on these birds? No wifi logo on the flight status.
Are you surprised? It's AA.com -- not the most detail oriented organizations by far -- you're talking about!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Yes it will stink but people aren't willing to pay a premium for 3-3-3 these days.
There's a market for everything; JetBlue is doing fine with ample pitch even though many have said "people aren't willing to pay a premium for >29" pitch these days", and AA itself made the asinine move of removing the entirety of MRTC, which it had to reverse.

AA has chosen the cattle-car approach to Y on these planes. The market will tell them whether it was a wise move or, like with its complete removal of MRTC, was a failure. Given that these birds will be employed on >10 hour flights, I can see regular Y travelers choosing a different airline if they find AA too cramped. All it takes is 10 hours next to an obese person (~ 35% of US population) to make you change your mind about paying an extra $50 ($5/hour) the next time for some breathing space.

Last edited by hillrider; Feb 1, 2013 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by hillrider
Are you surprised? It's AA.com -- not the most detail oriented organizations by far -- you're talking about!
There is \ was wifi on the flight last night. And I hope they are getting away from the cheap wifi stickers on the planes, and have 100% coverage instead.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by mrowl
There is \ was wifi on the flight last night. And I hope they are getting away from the cheap wifi stickers on the planes, and have 100% coverage instead.
How much was the charge for the intl flight?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by chanp
It is free through the end of March so the prices may not be announced yet.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
This is precisely the case for me too.
I'm just glad we can upgrade from Y to J, instead of an upgrade being restricted to Y to MCE!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by chanp
It was free, but looks like it will be $19 for duration of flight.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, HH
Do Spirit Airlines A320's with 28 inch pitch fly empty? No they are always full because they are cheaper. They do not fly 10 hour flights but I know plenty who have flown them and they all complain, but they still go back and buy another ticket because of the price.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Chris Glaspell
Did anyone who was on the tour of the 777-300er notice if the business seats rt behind the FClass and rt in front of the bulkhead are good seats. I am will on the LHR-DFW flight.
I'm interested in this as well.

These seats are tempting for a quick exit on arrival, I just hope they don't tend to get 'forgotten' during service runs
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Seriously. All this brouhaha by AA about new product/new branding/enhanced product - should have a huge asterisk by it. Surprised AA doesn't realize that some of their most loyal flyers aren't always plumping down the cash for F or J - that there's a lot of us who regularly fly AA (on our own dime might I add) that would've appreciated at least keeping the Y product acceptable.
I agree. Many of us love to fly, and usually in coach. I understand the focus on lie-flat seats, etc., etc. But it that ignores most of our concerns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.