Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hm500
I'm scheduled to fly GRU-JFK on April 15th on a 77W.
But for now, there is no 77W service on AA to GRU.. Just LHR.

GRU service returns on April 11th.

Dallas – London Heathrow
AA050/051
eff 02APR13 Daily

AA078/079
02APR13 – 10APR13 Previously Planned Operation during this period is cancelled
02JUL13 – 30JUL13 Daily *(LHR departure from 03JUL13 to 31JUL13)

New York JFK – London Heathrow
AA100/101 eff 15MAR13 Daily (LHR departure from 16MAR13)
AA106/107 eff 08MAY13 Daily (LHR departure from 09MAY13; Previously to start from 09MAY13)

Previously reported 777-300ER operation remains unchanged:
Dallas – Sao Paulo eff 01AUG13 Daily
Los Angeles – London Heathrow eff 12JUN13 Daily (LHR departure from 13JUN13)

New York JFK – Sao Paulo eff 11APR13 Daily
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
GRU service returns on April 11th.
Thanks -- I was looking all over for that schedule. Can be a bit of a pain to find things around here sometimes.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I flew DFW-LHR last week in F. Really a treat. I have to say that the improvement in J may be better than the improvement in F.

1. I didn't find the seat all that more comfortable in F than before. Certainly an improvement, but not a world of difference.
2. The real difference was in the IFE and the other electrical add ons. Being able to use an ipod/ipad and display on the screen was cool. Plus actually being able to charge devices through both USB and AC was a nice feature. The LCD screen was large and quite nice.
3. Service: I found the FA a lot more attentive (I don't know whether this was an FA issue or the reduction in seats). The wine tasting to start off the flight was a nice and interesting novelty/treat.
4. The seat controls, which are now part of an LCD screen are pretty cool as well. I wish that AA had done what CX has (at least on the plane I was on), which is allow for a slight recline in the takeoff position. Nothing gets an F trip off on the wrong foot than to be stuck on the tarmac in a full upright position when there's no need for it.
5. Larger divider between seats felt a lot more private.
6. New car (plane) smell was a funny experience.
7. Plane seemed a bit quieter, at least on takeoff (didn't notice otherwise as I was plugged in).
8. Forgot one thing that irritated me. Why on earth did they need to have a proprietary headphone jack!

I'm supposed to take 100/101 next week, so I should get to enjoy the F cabin for the return flight at least (on the outbound I need to hurry up and sleep.)

Last edited by Score8; Mar 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Score8
2. The real difference was in the IFE and the other electrical add ons. Being able to use an ipod/ipad and display on the screen was cool.
Currently no adapters that will let you do this from a Thunderbolt/Lightning device though I think? So that rules out any of the current generation iDevices.

8. Forgot one thing that irritated me. Why on earth did they need to have a proprietary headphone jack!
Not really 'proprietary', just the normal 2 prong plug beloved of airlines for many years. I agree though that it was an odd move considering AA were not already using it elsewhere, and didn't have their own Bose headsets configured for it either

I was on the first AA50 flight from DFW and it took them about 20 mins to locate the stash of adapters in F as everyone was complaining about only getting one channel of sound Fortunately I always carry an adapter as you do still find it in use from time to time.

Last edited by Mark_T; Mar 26, 2013 at 6:08 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
The Bose headsets that they handed out last week were actually three prong, rather than the normal two, which is what I reacted to.

RE: Lightning: I think you might be right. I'll have to take another look to understand whether/which adapter might work. If the answer is no-go, then that's a major screwup since I'm not sure that an S-Cable is the most modern choice.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The Bose headsets that they handed out last week were actually three prong, rather than the normal two, which is what I reacted to.
That is a great improvement - no battery swap required. I wonder if AA is the first to use this plug - it's really brilliant.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Finally scored a flight on the new 77W !
ORD>JFK>GRU !
Thanks to the GREAT info here on FT, hats off to Friendlyskies !!
It has been years since I was in Brazil, flew Ponte Aero from GRU to GIG in
the back seat...horseshoe shaped lounge sofa at the rear of the Electra...
Scariest part was when the pilot positioned the tail over the cliff at the old airport
which was cut off the top of a mountain. Since I was at the rear, I looked down the side
of a rather high cliff...Ah those were the dayzzzzz.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
RE: Lightning: I think you might be right. I'll have to take another look to understand whether/which adapter might work. If the answer is no-go, then that's a major screwup since I'm not sure that an S-Cable is the most modern choice.
With a 30pin -> lightning adapter from Apple it *should* work. It does in cars that have iPhone integration (Ford's Sync, Chevy's MyLink just to name two). The software on the phone is exactly the same. But, that being said, AA does specifically state up to an iPhone 4S so there might be something about the system that won't take an iPhone 5 for whatever reason.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:29 am

I'll be on 50/51 next month from DFW-LHR... I ended up with a full-fare ticket (B), so I'm praying some "C" opens up to GMTFO of the 3/4/3 Y cabin. Blech...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
I flew DFW-LHR last week in F. Really a treat. I have to say that the improvement in J may be better than the improvement in F.

1. I didn't find the seat all that more comfortable in F than before. Certainly an improvement, but not a world of difference.
2. The real difference was in the IFE and the other electrical add ons. Being able to use an ipod/ipad and display on the screen was cool. Plus actually being able to charge devices through both USB and AC was a nice feature. The LCD screen was large and quite nice.
3. Service: I found the FA a lot more attentive (I don't know whether this was an FA issue or the reduction in seats). The wine tasting to start off the flight was a nice and interesting novelty/treat.
4. The seat controls, which are now part of an LCD screen are pretty cool as well. I wish that AA had done what CX has (at least on the plane I was on), which is allow for a slight recline in the takeoff position. Nothing gets an F trip off on the wrong foot than to be stuck on the tarmac in a full upright position when there's no need for it.
5. Larger divider between seats felt a lot more private.
6. New car (plane) smell was a funny experience.
7. Plane seemed a bit quieter, at least on takeoff (didn't notice otherwise as I was plugged in).

I'm supposed to take 100/101 next week, so I should get to enjoy the F cabin for the return flight at least (on the outbound I need to hurry up and sleep.)
Score8, did you notice any difference between rows 1 and 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.