Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Let's first see if SJC can sustain the NH 787 flight to NRT. You know they have "world class talent" that shouldn't be wasting time driving to SFO...

It’s a waste of time to have world-class talent stuck in traffic inching up Highway 101 to SFO. SJC is easy access and leads the Bay Area and the nation in on-time departures and arrivals.”
http://www.sanjoseca.gov/mayor/news/...o_12212011.pdf

How many other airports would put such a line in press releases for new service? It's truly laughable. Even with the reductions in SJC airport staff I guess they still have an army of PR folks sitting around to write this rubbish. Let's see how the service works out once the incentives dry up.

Originally Posted by Blumie
This thread is not as entertaining as I had hoped it would be.
+1000
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
B6 offers a daily A320 on their SFO-AUS flight.
Thanks for the correction.

JetBlue still has not really entered my consciousness I guess....

This flight is probably helping to keep UA's fare more reasonable.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn
I have read all the replies and would like to "chime in". This is why I love SJC.
I purged the rest of the post and just left this part, because I agree with pretty much all of it. While SFO is undoubtedly more of a "world class" airport by any measure, the convenience associated with SJC can't be beat. The place we park is less than 5 minutes from the airport, only $9.50 a day, and includes valet parking.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I purged the rest of the post and just left this part, because I agree with pretty much all of it. While SFO is undoubtedly more of a "world class" airport by any measure, the convenience associated with SJC can't be beat. The place we park is less than 5 minutes from the airport, only $9.50 a day, and includes valet parking.

Cheers.
SFO is a "world class" airport? Is that a joke? Go visit ICN, SIN, or ZRH those are world class airports not SFO.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
SFO is a "world class" airport? Is that a joke? Go visit ICN, SIN, or ZRH those are world class airports not SFO.
I've been to 2 of those and, yes, it is. The ones you list are certainly bigger and have more of everything, but the quality of SFO- at least AA's new Terminal, is right up there, maybe a quarter of a notch down. Just smaller.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by brp
I've been to 2 of those and, yes, it is. The ones you list are certainly bigger and have more of everything, but the quality of SFO- at least AA's new Terminal, is right up there. Just smaller.

Cheers.
The international terminal designed by HOK is very nice I will grant you that. Give it five years and Virgin America likely won't exist. They are bleeding cash and haven't delivered on the ambitious plans they outlined in 2007 to "revolutionize" the US airline industry, they had hoped to drive AA/CO/DL/NW/UA/etc out of existence but have merely become a boutique player at best. Without Virgin America that space wouldn't have been built and I will say once again AA is NOT there because of their commitment to SFO or desire to provide modern facilities to SFO customers, they received significant compensation from SF to move to that space on a temporary basis. AA has cut flights, jobs, shuttered facilities and airports altogether in the Bay Area.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without Virgin America that space wouldn't have been built and I will say once again AA is NOT there because of their commitment to SFO or desire to provide modern facilities to SFO customers, they received significant compensation from SF to move to that space on a temporary basis. AA has cut flights, jobs, shuttered facilities and airports altogether in the Bay Area.
That's OK. I was making a comment about an airport, not another entry in the "incessant whining about AA at SFO" diaries. SFO Terminal 2 is still what it is.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by brp
That's OK. I was making a comment about an airport, not another entry in the "incessant whining about AA at SFO" diaries. SFO Terminal 2 is still what it is.

Cheers.
If Virgin doesn't exist there is a real possibility the retail offerings will change and things like the Arne Jacobsen egg chairs and other amenities in the space will be gone that Virgin contributed in the design and construction.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by brp
Silicon Valley tech guy here and...uh...no. This is probably true of the rank-and-file, but not the case for the management, even those who are from tech backgrounds. Trust me on this one

Cheers.
Of course. Upper management is upper management, regardless of industry . I was comparing the "regular" tech guys to the "regular" finance guys in what they prefer. There are also seem to be a lot more active tech start-ups than finance start-ups that maintain a start-up mentality long after they have to and that culture will be a "Southwest" culture, so my comment referred to small companies as well as big.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
On my next flight I'm going to ask the FA if they still have coloring books and flight wings.
The coloring book you got in 1992 is almost filled up?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

Nice one! :-)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

I will say once again AA is NOT there because of their commitment to SFO or desire to provide modern facilities to SFO customers, they received significant compensation from SF to move to that space on a temporary basis.
One significant benefit of AA @ SFO is T2. When you say they 'moved to this space on a temporary basis', what are you referring to? When are they moving out, where will they move, and who will replace them in T2?

Regarding SJC: It does seem to me like there are advantages to be gained by AA by increasing their presence. But, as others have said, they have tried twice so far and look where it got them...

SJC is closer to my office (SFO closer to my home), so any increase in presence from any airline would be welcomed (by me). And, increased competition at SJC / SFO / OAK is a good thing for all of us in the Bay Area. (And, since I will be a Kayaker at some point in the future, more options will be better!)

Last point, OT I admit, I am looking forward to using my UA MP Miles to book the 787 ANA NRT flight out of SJC! Hopefully summer of '13. Go *A!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
One significant benefit of AA @ SFO is T2. When you say they 'moved to this space on a temporary basis', what are you referring to? When are they moving out, where will they move, and who will replace them in T2?
Eventually, T1 will be renovated as the Oneworld terminal, and AA will move there. Details in the document below:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/export/sit...es/m021810.pdf

AA's moving expenses to move to the new T2 were paid by SFO.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Eventually, T1 will be renovated as the Oneworld terminal, and AA will move there. Details in the document below:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/export/sit...es/m021810.pdf

AA's moving expenses to move to the new T2 were paid by SFO.
Thanks FWAAA. Sorry to take this further off the SJC topic...

Minutes from the SFO commission - quite insightful!

"No. 10-0048 Resolution approving reimbursement to be taken in the form of a rental credit to American Airlines for the costs related to their interim relocation in an amount not-to-exceed $4,800,000.

Eventually, when the longer term renovation of Terminal 1 is done, American will move to its permanent home in Terminal 1 adjacent to its One World Alliance partners who are all in the I.T. Boarding Area A."

And also, classic comments like "He has been in business since 1978 at Max’s and Max’s Opera Café and he has a very nice home in Hillsborough. He calls it the home that was built on corned beef and pastrami. Corned beef and pastrami has nitrates in it that makes it pink so it is not exactly slow food. He wasn’t sure what slow food was but assumed that it was the opposite of fast food. So, where does he fall? He thinks he is in the middle so he calls his food speedy food."
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
The move to T1 will likely take 10 years so AA's presence in T2 will seem permanent enough. I don't get why AA needs to be next to its OW partners since AA does not hub SFO and most OW service to SFO is O&D. Perhaps it's to allow for limited connections from DFW and those wanting to fly to HND.

I actually don't want AA to make any focus cities in the Bay. With how savvy people there are, it will become impossible to get upgraded out of the Bay Area just like how it is on UA. Also it's wonderful to go to the AC and the staff members know you.

Now three only thing I'd want is Bay Area - SNA service. AAngels on both sides still miss the flight and it was the route that I first got AA status on, by segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.