Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
My eeka is right!
Some of these comments are other-worldly. As in from Uranus.

Last edited by gemac; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
SJC isn't going to happen. Southwest holds down fares to basically everywhere and UA has consolidated it's power even more with more mainline SJC-IAH post merger.

Perhaps a gross over-generalization, but I think the reality is SFO gets a lot of premium traffic from the financial community, and just about all of that is from Palo Alto up (where SJC is preferable but just by 5 or 10 minutes) -- the tech community is more cost conscious, and I doubt there's a lot of premium traffic out of the South Bay.

Whatever the airport authority tries to do with polls or letter writing, it won't change the fact that SJC has proven time and again that it can't sustain a legacy carrier hub.
You're right. The tech companies tend to have buy the lowest fare policies. They love WN because there are no change fees there.

Finance companies seem to be less cost conscious when it comes to airfare. I know people in both industries and the difference is very apparent. If high tech companies spent like finance companies on airfare, then SJC would definitely be a hub for some legacy.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Strangely true considering that the company with the highest valuation in the history of the world is down here in Silicon Valley.

Cheers,
And now that its iron-fisted patriarch is gone (sadly), perhaps that company will become fat and sloppy with its air travel budget, permitting its employees to fly often, and anywhere they want, always in premium cabins.

Probably not.

But if there were enough companies in Silicon Valley willing to burn money, then AA and others would listen. Witness AA's buildup at SJC (the second time around) just after the tech bubble popped - with new flights to CDG and TPE and plenty of nonstops to BOS and JFK.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Another few points in favor of SFO compared to SJC:

1) Money. SFO is much closer to people with deep pockets (only the rich can afford to live in SF).
2) Airport access. SFO is much closer to SF and has excellent mass transport options (Bart). SJC not so much.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The only way AA builds up SJC service is if they buy AS. Then there would be a reasonable case to run some planes SEA/PDX-SJC-(AA hub), plus they could use QX Q400s instead of RJs on SJC-LAX, on top of AS's current service. It would be good for utilization.

That being said, I don't think AA is buying AS anytime soon (and there's a sad history involved where West Coast airlines and/or AA purchases get turned into empty gates and beer cans- WA, TW, QQ and so on).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
SJC isn't going to happen. Southwest holds down fares to basically everywhere.
I have been flying from SAN to SJC for almost 20 years now, gone through the AirCal, Reno acquistions, downsizing to RJ, untimately dropping service to where WN is the only game in town. Fares are up dramatically, often as much as double similar schedules betwen SAN and SFO, where there is competition from VA.

While WN does not charge change fees, standing by for an earlier flight can be expensive - free (for elites) on AA. Personally, being able to get home early is a valuable benefit.

I find it odd that AS / Horizon have added service from SAN to FAT, STS and MRY, but not SJC - would make me happy.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Another few points in favor of SFO compared to SJC:

1) Money. SFO is much closer to people with deep pockets (only the rich can afford to live in SF).
2) Airport access. SFO is much closer to SF and has excellent mass transport options (Bart). SJC not so much.
Not true. Cupertino, Palo Alto and Los Altos are just as expensive as SF and closer to SJC.

I would love it if AA were to build a stronger presence at SJC and the Bay Area. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall that they don't care about SJC. It's really hard for AA to compete in the Bay Area as there are too many dominant players in the market and AA hasn't done much to seperate itself from the rest.

FYI
SJC is the first to get the Dreamliner flight, however it's ANA.
http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/201...mliner-flight/
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by albutt27
Not true. Cupertino, Palo Alto and Los Altos are just as expensive as SF and closer to SJC.
Saratoga, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Menlo Park, Atherton. And, in general, typically more expensive than SF. Where do you think Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, ... live/lived?

Of course, Robin Williams does live in SF, but that's not the same net worth ballpark.

I'll also add that San Jose is quite a bit larger in population than SF, so there are more people close to SJC than to SFO.

The BART option to SFO is nice although, last time I checked, it involved a change of trains at Millbrae.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
Oh here we go again!

SJC has significant service by AS. Which you get full AA EQMs on even if it isn't a codeshare.

AA is not going to increase service there. All the legacies ceded it to WN and AS.

For those asking about AS's SJC service, Wikipedia is a great resource:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_J...port#section_7

AS has 13 destinations out of SJC.
In addition to EQM, AS also gives AAdvantage elites 2 free checked bags and priority boarding.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Thanks, FWAAA, for finding the ad with the map graphic. A little historical context is a useful thing.
Yep, I like the ad's mention of the 1991 expansion in SJC. I moved to SJC from AUS in 1991, and due to the new terminal and AA's expansion, I switched my flying from CO (which still used stairs in the old Terminal C) to AA's shiny new terminal A. I was happy when AA added QQ (Reno Air), then they stop flying where I needed to go. I remember AA calling me last year to ask why I wasn't flying them much anymore... LOL.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Saratoga, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Menlo Park, Atherton. And, in general, typically more expensive than SF. Where do you think Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, ... live/lived?

Of course, Robin Williams does live in SF, but that's not the same net worth ballpark.

I'll also add that San Jose is quite a bit larger in population than SF, so there are more people close to SJC than to SFO.

The BART option to SFO is nice although, last time I checked, it involved a change of trains at Millbrae.

Cheers.
Let's not leave out the LA's... Los Altos, and especially Los Altos Hills
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Let's not leave out the LA's... Los Altos, and especially Los Altos Hills
Los Altos was in the original post I quoted. And Los Altos Hills goes without saying

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
SJC is unique in North America as the largest city in a megalopolis without many of the usual status symbols of being the largest city like the top civic institutions (e.g. Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), major museums (e.g. Exploratorium, SFMOMA, Asian Art), airline hub (UA, VX) or major league teams (Giants, As, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors...).

This is a reflection of the peculiar geography, politics and history of the Bay Area which have kept San Francisco as a medium sized city as suburbs have flourished. As the regional economy continues to pivot towards San Jose it is not surprising that the 49ers are moving to Santa Clara or that it might make sense for AA to revisit its regional focus. AA can't compete with UA, VX, or even DL at SFO...but could do a great job in SJC.
?? Stanford is closer to SJC than SFO. Also, SJ has major league hockey and soccer, and Santa Clara is the home of the 49'ers. Their offices are their. Their practice field is there. They just play regular games in SF. Soon they will play in Santa Clara. Also SJ is trying to get the Oakland A's to move.
With new planes and pay likely to be more in line with competitors. I don't understand why AA shouldn't be able to compete at SFO or SJC.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Xero
You're right. The tech companies tend to have buy the lowest fare policies. They love WN because there are no change fees there.

Finance companies seem to be less cost conscious when it comes to airfare. I know people in both industries and the difference is very apparent. If high tech companies spent like finance companies on airfare, then SJC would definitely be a hub for some legacy.
The tech guys seem to be lower maintenance in terms of things they want on a plane vs the finance guys. I bet 9/10 would take an all-coach flight with wifi over F on a plane without any. They like the convenience of WN and its somewhat quirky style of doing things probably appeals to that personality.

I also don't think they do the same kinds of long-distance travel as bankers do (since, surprise surprise, they make the bankers come to them), hence less concern with things like premium cabins and lounges.

It's also worth pointing out that there is a significant amount of finance activity in Silicon Valley as well; the tech bankers and VCs all tend to be on/around Sandhill Road which last I checked was closer to SJC than SFO (if only by a half mile or so)...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
The tech guys seem to be lower maintenance in terms of things they want on a plane vs the finance guys. I bet 9/10 would take an all-coach flight with wifi over F on a plane without any. They like the convenience of WN and its somewhat quirky style of doing things probably appeals to that personality.
Silicon Valley tech guy here and...uh...no. This is probably true of the rank-and-file, but not the case for the management, even those who are from tech backgrounds. Trust me on this one

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.