Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks, FWAAA, for finding the ad with the map graphic. A little historical context is a useful thing.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
SJC is unique in North America as the largest city in a megalopolis without many of the usual status symbols of being the largest city like the top civic institutions (e.g. Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), major museums (e.g. Exploratorium, SFMOMA, Asian Art), airline hub (UA, VX) or major league teams (Giants, As, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors...).

This is a reflection of the peculiar geography, politics and history of the Bay Area which have kept San Francisco as a medium sized city as suburbs have flourished. As the regional economy continues to pivot towards San Jose it is not surprising that the 49ers are moving to Santa Clara or that it might make sense for AA to revisit its regional focus. AA can't compete with UA, VX, or even DL at SFO...but could do a great job in SJC.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by danielonn
"more passengers want to fly out of SJC rather than SFO."

If this was true, then more passengers would fly out of SJC rather than SFO.

But sadly (for you), they don't.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Hard to believe in a time that Eagle served Klamath Falls... wish I could fly SEA-SJC-LMT on AA today.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
An AA hub or focus-city in SJC? No way no how. AA have been there and done that. However, I agree with other comments that AA need to add some flights to SFO. UA fliers there are desperate for a non-UA option. Whilst AA will always play second fiddle in SFO, I think they could play a stronger role there than they do today.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Science Goy
What's good for me is objectively good for AA.

The AS presence in SJC is quite nice though.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The correct title of this thread should be "Speculation Fantasy: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City."
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Didn't someone once post that SJC has very high landing fees?

Last edited by Xero; Aug 21, 2012 at 9:38 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Xero
AS has 13 destinations out of SJC.
10 more than AA.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From SJC, B6 flies to BOS and JFK.
An AA merger with both of those would just about make SJC a hub. Those east coach flights would be particularly nice.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Is the OP named Marty McFly?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:05 pm

The OP seems to propose this mix of ideas at least once per year.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This thread is not as entertaining as I had hoped it would be.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
SJC is unique in North America as the largest city in a megalopolis without many of the usual status symbols of being the largest city like the top civic institutions (e.g. Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), major museums (e.g. Exploratorium, SFMOMA, Asian Art), airline hub (UA, VX) or major league teams (Giants, As, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors...).

This is a reflection of the peculiar geography, politics and history of the Bay Area which have kept San Francisco as a medium sized city as suburbs have flourished. As the regional economy continues to pivot towards San Jose it is not surprising that the 49ers are moving to Santa Clara or that it might make sense for AA to revisit its regional focus. AA can't compete with UA, VX, or even DL at SFO...but could do a great job in SJC.
I presume you're counting the Sharks as already locked out.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
LAX is barely a hub as it is now. AA will do better to strengthen it's transpac business in LAX than expand in SJC.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by danielonn
I think it would be wise for AA to add flights to SJC-JFK, SJC-MIA,SFO-BOS with a 6:00 AM 9:00AM 12:00PM 3:00PM 9:00 PM and 10:40PM flights etc.

I can see AA putting their new Airbus flights from SJC to cover executives who do not want to drive up to SFO and suffer weather delays at SFO.

I think AA could really make SJC another focus city or hub and upgrade their LAX flights to mainlie flights and return SAN flights. Also AA could add more DFW flights return the CDG and LHR flights.

SJC is not what it was in 2008 they are more travelers flying out of the new terminal at SJC and there is potential for SJC expanding the terminal once passenger demand is at the levels as set forth by SJC.

SFO has fog issues and weather issues for a lot of the year and AA has had to divert flights from JFK to SJC. SFO already has Virgin so even if AA moved at least some of their operations to SJC that would be great.

I was once on a JFK-SFO flight that was fogged in and we were circling the bay and had to fill up at SJC and wait on the tarmac. I asked the flight attendant if I could deplane since I live 20 minutes from SJC and she said no due to security issues. Had AA had the SJC-JFK flight that they had years ago I would have booked on it.

I would much rather fly to London or Paris from San Jose since its close to home etc.

SJC has a campaign for more flights and I think AA could feed off the Hawaiian flights to Hawaii as codeshares and they have Alasaka Airlines to Hawaii as well for codeshares. Even if AA shifted their Eagle flights to Horizon Air or started mainline flights to LAX as opposed to the ERJ without WiFi they would be doing well.

AA could take after Lufthansa and offer complimentary coffee in the gate area for transcon flights, offer complimentary alcohol to all passengers on these flights. They could design a premium lounge area as part of the gate area for all transcon passengers with a section for First and Business passengers.

SJC has the new terminal and more passengers want to fly out of SJC rather than SFO. You have access to lightrail, Caltrain the VTA 10 flyer. SJC could work with Caltrain to operate a baby bullet Airport train that only stops at Milbrae and Palo Alto to Santa Clara Station where a special Caltrain Airporter bus with a guaranteed connection to the train that waits for the arrival.

Whats your take?
This is your opinion as an Arm chair CEO. Just like it my opinion that this will never happen. AA corner stone philosophy is pretty clear and SJC is not on it's radar. What little presence AA has in the Bay Area is run out of SFO. IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.