Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Back to AA EXP for 2018 after 1 year on worthless Plat Pro
Why SJC as a hub did not work (one person's observations)

Originally Posted by brp
Silicon Valley tech guy here and...uh...no. This is probably true of the rank-and-file, but not the case for the management, even those who are from tech backgrounds. Trust me on this one

Cheers.
I rarely disagree with BRP but have to counter on this one. I am also a tech company honcho (but, unlike BRP, a still recovering ex-attorney) and it has always struck me as odd that SJC couldn't support a larger number of carriers, premium routes and premium fares. I really like the SJC airport experience even though I live closer to SFO. Here are my non-scientific observations, some of which are, uh, unconventional:

1. SJC and its economic ecosystem are really two different towns. Like San Antonio, TX, there is a smallish town of "pretty well off people" inside a much larger town of people who really have nominal income and must travel by car/bus/train to get anywhere. We all read about the tech wealth and it really does exist. It is dwarfed, however, by what is happening with the rest of the economy. Just for fun, go down to any San Jose DMV and count the number of people you consider ideal AA elite flyers. Same for any mall in the broader San Jose region. While very unscientific, I suspect that the folks you see do not fit the economic profile of an area that can support a massive increase in its airport's service offerings. Just my onion and this from someone who really hated to see AA's SJC to NRT 777 service end.....sigh. And what happened to the AA SJC-AUS "Nerd Bird"? I thought that was a permanent route -- until I realized that Austin's economy is similar to that of San Antonio -- not as big as one would think. All it took was one strong downturn to see that there wasn't much of a business base to support unique routes such as this one.

2. United's super-fortress at SFO is an amazing thing. Their elites (mostly) hate their airline but still must fly it given the massive route structure, connections, overseas links, airline partners, etc. It is as if they all have Stockholm Syndrome. Having a super-fortress mega carrier just 40+ miles north does not help SJC in terms of attracting the repeat, elite, premium class customers. There is a giant sucking sound coming from SF and it is UA at SFO.

3. AA's attempt to "force" SJC into hub status (hello, RDU Part Deux) had all the makings of a great HBS case. The market is "so big"! There is "so much wealth there"! It's a lower stress, easy to navigate airport! (only partially true before the remodel). You cannot force San Jose to be San Francisco, just as AA learned that Raleigh Durham is not really to "be the next Atlanta". At least not for another 20-30 years. To loosely quote the management gurus "play to strengths and make your weaknesses as irrelevant as possible".

I agree with BRP that it hurt to see SJC downgraded. I guess the main issue is that all of our businesses only have so much resource and we have to focus on where it is easy to make money by playing to our strengths. SJC was not able to be that play. Unfortunate and also unlikely to change for a long time.

Now excuse me while I painfully have to go book a WN direct from SJC to AUS. Sigh.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Silicon Valley tech guy here and...uh...no. This is probably true of the rank-and-file, but not the case for the management, even those who are from tech backgrounds. Trust me on this one

Cheers.
Indeed. I also know some high up tech folks, and while they are not as status conscious as I-bankers, etc they definitely value the comfort and service of first class
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
More important than whether high-tech worker bees or queen bees would like to fly in paid F (IMO) is whether their company will spring for the paid F ticket. Most of these people work hard for long hours, and don't have a lot of time for extensive pleasure travel. If their company does not pay for the F ticket on business travel, they will do what the rest of us do - try for an upgrade on status. I have had a few flights into/out of SJC, and my general impression is that these are very elite-heavy routes, but that paid F is about the same as other routes I fly. 110 hours out, the percent of F sold is about the same as other routes. It fills up after that. I suppose you could theorize that tech businessmen fly more last minute paid F than other businessmen, but I don't see anything that would support that idea.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA
With the rise in video conferencing and telecommuting there is less of a need for high tech workers to travel. Also, many companies now require workers to purchase the lowest fare regardless of the worker's airline preference. With these developments, I'm not surprised AA has not been able to maintain a hub/focus city at SJC. Both times AA downsized SJC the country was in a recession. Demand out of SJC seems to vary widely depending on the economy.

I'd like AA to start AUS-SFO, or bring back the AUS-SJC nerd bird but I'm not holding my breath on any non-hub route of the bay area. AA has made it clear the bay area is not in their primary focus going forward.

Originally Posted by brp
The BART option to SFO is nice although, last time I checked, it involved a change of trains at Millbrae.

Cheers.
There is a non-stop BART train from SFO to downtown San Francisco.

Last edited by austin_res; Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by austin_res
I'd like AA to start AUS-SFO, or bring back the AUS-SJC nerd bird but I'm not holding my breath on any non-hub route of the bay area. AA has made it clear the bay area is not in their primary focus going forward.
AS tried SJC-AUS and could not make it work, even with a lower cost structure.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:47 pm

Perhaps SF is just too iconic to not have a major airport, and most international tourists go there to visit. No one (not literally) comes to the US to tour San Jose.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:05 am
Original Poster

I have read all the replies and would like to "chime in". This is why I love SJC. I live 20 minutes to SJC and can take more than one route. I usually go on 85-17-880-Coleman or 85-17-280-87. To SFO its down crowded 101 or 280 which is nice but a bit longer. Personally I do not like the merge from 380-SFO along crowded 101.

What I love about SJC is that its so easy to get through security and be on my way . I love how SJC has Ruby Tuesday, Illys(SFO does not have Illys) , Brioche Doree, Sharks Cage, Gordon Biersch Britania Arms etc. I would much rather get a certificate to eat at one of these restaurants for flying First Class if a lounge does not exist at SJC. I think AA could give a Visa Giftcard to use in times where there is no lounge. Even if I am not flying on Southwest I use their comfortable chairs to relax or go to the Mediation Room in Terminal B.

2. I love the quick checkin and security lanes. If Terminal A is crowded I don't mind taking the inter terminal bus to Terminal B and clear security there and walk. People complain about the walk but I happen to enjoy it as I can stop at the Le Boulanger, Illys, Brioche Doree on the way.

3. Where else can you walk across the street and rent your car in the same garage? SJC has great parking and rental car pickup drop off facilities.

4. Rarely have I been delayed and never diverted out of SJC. Even if I lived closer to SFO I would go to SJC for the small airport feel with big city services. I love the new chairs they installed with a USB port and charging port for your tech devices.

5. The view out of the windows is great watching the planes take off and land.

6. The new baggage claim is efficient and with the new ANA flight and more international flights SJC is growing.

7. I can take Light Rail from Winchester Light Rail Station or Bus 60 to Santa Clara Light Rail and can catch the 60 bus. On weekdays I can take 37 from West Valley College to Lightrail if needed. Caltrain with so many Local Trains making stops forces me to plan a flight from SFO when a Limited Stop or Baby Bullet Train come.

8. I prefer SFO for non-stop international flights but would prefer SJC if they added more non-stops to JFK. You see I would go to SFO for the non-stop long hauls as a last result but heck no not in winter with the flight diversions and delays due to fog.

9. I can't believe how executives put up with the delays and diversions due to weather at SFO. The runways are a mess . SJC at least has better runways. Maybe once I was delayed 1 hour due to LAX Arrival hold but it was not SJC's fault. I have usually arrived early and departed on time.

10. SJC has good hotels close by with shuttles and is close to most of the business. Palo Alto is about 20 minutes give or take Fremont is about 30 and North San Jose 237 is about 15.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Oh and BTW I fondly remember AA adopting my class during the 1991-1992 school year this was back when the new Terminal A opened. We were part of the adopt a class program and we got to decorate the Christmas Tree that stood by the AA ticket counters. I remember picking a tag and gave a gift to a needy child . We even saw behind the scenes of airport operations. On one visit we went through the entire checkin process went aboard the plane and had lunch and then went to the baggage claim. I was one of the most interested student in this program and loved every second of it. Flyertalk sadly was not around then as I had a love for aviation even back then.

The flight attendants came to our class and talked about American. I flew to JFK on AA and the flight attendant who worked with our class met my family and I and handed my brother and I coloring books. On another occasion during the week of Christmas I took my Grandparents to look at the tree and I asked if the flight attendant was working and she was. She took the time to go out of her way to take a photo with her and we talked. This flight attendant commented saying that not many people would go out of their way to reach out to the flight attendant the way I did. I would love to meet her again along with the other male FA. I don't even know if they still work for AA but possibly an employee who is on this forum could help me get in touch with them.

If someone here works for AA and I PM'd you could you help me get in touch with the flight attendants who worked with my class back in 1991-1992. I know their names but don't want to publish it on a public forum. I would love to reconnect with them.

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:19 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by danielonn
I would much rather get a certificate to eat at one of these restaurants for flying First Class if a lounge does not exist at SJC. I think AA could give a Visa Giftcard to use in times where there is no lounge.

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away...
"Excuse me Ma'm but what city is that"
"Its New York Sir"
" Oh No I did it again my family's in Florida and I'm in New York. "My Family's in Florida and I'm in New York.
"Is something wrong sir?"
"I'll be fine"
(Home Alone 2 Lost in NY)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
And now that its iron-fisted patriarch is gone (sadly), perhaps that company will become fat and sloppy with its air travel budget, permitting its employees to fly often, and anywhere they want, always in premium cabins.

Probably not.

But if there were enough companies in Silicon Valley willing to burn money, then AA and others would listen. Witness AA's buildup at SJC (the second time around) just after the tech bubble popped - with new flights to CDG and TPE and plenty of nonstops to BOS and JFK.
Where does this company have its products built?

Where does it need to send employees to facilitate this awesome production?

Guess which airline offers this service?

I'll give you a hint: "Immediate GS status"

Originally Posted by SuperBuck27
Now excuse me while I painfully have to go book a WN direct from SJC to AUS. Sigh.
Is this the new 'Nerd Bird'?

From SFO, if you desire direct, it is a CR7...

Last edited by LarkSFO; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:31 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
No one (not literally) comes to the US to tour San Jose.
I do. ;P
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
The flight attendants came to our class and talked about American. I flew to JFK on AA and the flight attendant who worked with our class met my family and I and handed my brother and I coloring books.
coloring books? Now I feel old. I was flying a lot between SFO/OAK and LAX/BUR back then.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
coloring books? Now I feel old. I was flying a lot between SFO/OAK and LAX/BUR back then.
On my next flight I'm going to ask the FA if they still have coloring books and flight wings. Makes me feel as if these went along the wayside after 9/11 cutbacks. Sad to see kids of today's generation without the fun things. I do remember on our NY flight we got free headsets, a hot meal and as we were landing into LGA The Steve Miller Band Joker was playing on the IFE.

Lets rewind the clock to 1991 and get free wine and beer in Coach. When First Class was really First Class when SJC had the flights it did back then.

On a side note I remember we took an AA flight from SJC via ORD-LGA. Was it the 9:00AM flight back on Friday June 12,1992? I do remember taking a limo to SJC around 6:20 AM and watched AM Weather on PBS Channel 9. Does anyone here remember AM Weather partnered with the NOAA and AOPAA? That was one of my favorite programs as a kid looking at the weather maps and flying conditions for pilots. I was sad when they cancelled the show and remember writing in to share my displeasure of its cancellation.
Remember AM Weather?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYtD0EbT8iU

What was the timetable back on 6/12/1992. Can someone jog my memory. I do recall getting into JFK around 4:30ish. I think we were on a 757 or was it a 767?

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 22, 2012 at 1:35 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
From SFO, if you desire direct, it is a CR7...

B6 offers a daily A320 on their SFO-AUS flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.