Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

UA cannot even support
SFO-AUS mainline
But apparently JetBlue can - they fly an A320 on AUS-SFO.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So why not do SJC-AUS... AS supports SEA-AUS, so there has to be a reason why AS can support this route.. Maybe SFO isn't that magical of a city for some routes. WN has two non stops SJC-AUS...
AS flew AUS-SJC for a time and then discontinued the flights.

There are currently 5 daily flights from SFO to AUS, (4) on UA Express and (1) on B6. I would say it is covered.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
AS flew AUS-SJC for a time and then discontinued the flights.

There are currently 5 daily flights from SFO to AUS, (4) on UA Express and (1) on B6. I would say it is covered.
AS discontinued because WN started more flights, and has feed on both ends due to a TX presence.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA

No need for larger terminal or more runways, as SJC has a plan for building the South concourse to Terminal B. VX uses all of seven or eight gates at SFO.
No need for a South concourse either, is there? For whomever might want to take a crack at expanding operations or opening up shop at SJC. As best as I can tell, Gates 1, 2 and 4 are unused. Gate 3 has just one HA flight. AS controls Gates 24/25, but both are deserted for most of the day--I see one flight on each. 15/16 don't get used much either.

Anyway, seems like a pipe dream. I have exactly one AA flight taken from SJC this year. I miss the old days....
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Uhh, twenty years ago, AA had over 150 daily departures from SJC. Pray tell, how did AA perform the scheduled and major maintenance on all those aircraft?
And exactly where was the AA maintenance facility located at SJC? AA has maintenance facilities at SFO, never at SJC.

Southwest manages 68 daily departures at SJC - and you can bet that WN manages to care for its planes at SJC.
WN has no maintenance facilities at SJC. Their West Coast maintenance operations are based at OAK.

Within the past few years, AA significantly downsized its maintenance operations at SJC, freeing up lots of space.
Freeing up what space? AA downsizing at SJC just freed up gates at the terminals.

Question: where are the large maintenance hangers located at SJC suitable for 737s and larger jets? SJC has maintenance facilities suitable for smaller private jets on the westside of the airport, but nothing suitable for the larger commercial jets.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle

There's no need for additional "major maintenance facility" capacity; AA ran over 150 daily flights with the existing hangars at SJC.
I think you fail to understand a central point: there are NO EXISTING hangers at SJC suitable for 737s or larger jets. None. Nada. Next time you fly into SJC, go ahead and look for one. Good luck.

Even when AA used SJC as a hub, the major maintenance on the planes that flew in and out of SJC was done either at SFO, LAX or DFW.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Peter T.
I think you fail to understand a central point: there are NO EXISTING hangers at SJC suitable for 737s or larger jets. None. Nada. Next time you fly into SJC, go ahead and look for one. Good luck.

Even when AA used SJC as a hub, the major maintenance on the planes that flew in and out of SJC was done either at SFO, LAX or DFW.

This might be true, however, any startup airline will not be doing any of it's own maintenance, this is farmed out. So maintenance is not the big issue.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This might be true, however, any startup airline will not be doing any of it's own maintenance, this is farmed out. So maintenance is not the big issue.
Agreed, start up or not, the maintenance facility isn't a big deal. They can do any major maintenance anywhere and is often not in your major hub. AA for example does by far most of it maintenance work in Tulsa.

Just not a big factor so it's in no way why VX didn't place it's focus at SJC.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
Just not a big factor so it's in no way why VX didn't place it's focus at SJC.
The big factor is that VX would have been dead meat going up against WN/B6/AS at SJC. Their whole point was to steal customers from AA/UA, starting with premium pax on JFK-LAX/SFO.

Go look at VX's route map. How many routes do they fly where they compete with AA or UA? Almost every single route.

Remember, VX wants to sell premium cabin seats. If there was any history of being able to sell premium cabin seats out of SJC, why would AA have left SJC, and why would WN be successful there?

Anyways, VX shouldn't have flown out of SJC as their NorCal hub. SFO is the only logical place for it. And AA isn't going to come back to SJC. They have other fish to fry.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The big factor is that VX would have been dead meat going up against WN/B6/AS at SJC. Their whole point was to steal customers from AA/UA, starting with premium pax on JFK-LAX/SFO.

Go look at VX's route map. How many routes do they fly where they compete with AA or UA? Almost every single route.

Remember, VX wants to sell premium cabin seats. If there was any history of being able to sell premium cabin seats out of SJC, why would AA have left SJC, and why would WN be successful there?

Anyways, VX shouldn't have flown out of SJC as their NorCal hub. SFO is the only logical place for it. And AA isn't going to come back to SJC. They have other fish to fry.
Wasn't so much the point to "steal", as to focus on premium passengers and so the market's duplicate a lot. It's where the premium passengers are. Unfortunately for VX, the strategy hasn't worked out very well for them.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:17 am
Original Poster

How would you like to see Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia at SJC? I mean all these airlines could connect to one another. Virgin could build a clubhouse where the Admirals club was.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
How would you like to see Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia at SJC? I mean all these airlines could connect to one another. Virgin could build a clubhouse where the Admirals club was.
I'm not sure how anyone can be a self proclaimed travel expert and not see everything that is wrong with that post.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WChou
I'm not sure how anyone can be a self proclaimed travel expert and not see everything that is wrong with that post.
Read more posts by said expert and things will become apparent.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
That will happen shortly after Los Angeles freezes over and is converted to the world's largest skating rink, and WN starts flying A380s with first class and showers all done up in platinum-plated bling for the all-important DAL-LBB route.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That will happen shortly after Los Angeles freezes over and is converted to the world's largest skating rink, and WN starts flying A380s with first class and showers all done up in platinum-plated bling for the all-important DAL-LBB route.
Stranger things have happened in the avation world in the last 20 years...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.