Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: AA SJC as Hub/Focus City, AA growth, new flights, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:39 pm

With the E-175s entering the American Eagle fleet, I've been thinking that something like SJC-AUS would be a great mission application for that aircraft, perhaps even a SJC-RDU/BOS 1 stop via AUS as well.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GSP flyer
With the E-175s entering the American Eagle fleet, I've been thinking that something like SJC-AUS would be a great mission application for that aircraft, perhaps even a SJC-RDU/BOS 1 stop via AUS as well.
The problem is that there is no connecting traffic in SJC, no connections in AUS and no connections in RDU (minimal connections available in BOS). With no hubs on either end or in AUS, this is a non-starter.

I see new AA restoring BOS-SFO nonstops (mentioned by an exec recently as a possibility).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The problem is that there is no connecting traffic in SJC, no connections in AUS and no connections in RDU (minimal connections available in BOS). With no hubs on either end or in AUS, this is a non-starter.

I see new AA restoring BOS-SFO nonstops (mentioned by an exec recently as a possibility).
While these aren't by any means unique connections (nor are they necessarily the best connections), there are some, including LHR (AA metal) from RDU, CDG from BOS (on a seasonal basis), LHR on BA from AUS.

Don't see the proposed flight, though, since AA isn't really in the O/D market when a hub isn't involved.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Don't see the proposed flight, though, since AA isn't really in the O/D market when a hub isn't involved.
PMAA wasn't, but PMUS sometimes was, and they're running the show now.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA

And Southwest is already on AUS-SJC plus AA flew that route before and cancelled it. As much as I love to see AUS-SJC return, I think it is unlikely. I also think BOS-SFO is unlikely given the competition: United, JetBlue, and Virgin America, and AA has no hub at SFO or BOS.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
PMAA wasn't, but PMUS sometimes was, and they're running the show now.
PMUS also focuses on flights involving a hub; I recall Parker saying 99% of US flights will go to/from their hubs.

Last edited by austin_res; Jun 3, 2014 at 4:52 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by austin_res
PMUS also focuses on flights involving a hub; I recall Parker saying 99% of US flights will go to/from their hubs.
Agreed, but to the extent that there are exceptions, they are likely to be non-hub airports where the combined AA/US has a large market share (and large share of frequent flyers) -- including former hubs/gateways like BOS, PIT, RDU, BNA, SJC.

-- the now sadly misnamed SJC AA from hub days of yore
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Agreed, but to the extent that there are exceptions, they are likely to be non-hub airports where the combined AA/US has a large market share (and large share of frequent flyers) -- including former hubs/gateways like BOS, PIT, RDU, BNA, SJC.

-- the now sadly misnamed SJC AA from hub days of yore
I look forward to the upcoming new LIT-NRT flight.

(I think there's zero chance that AA's going to start SJC routes to non-hubs as opposed to connecting via PHX/DFW/ORD/LAX. There's somewhat more than zero chance that they'd start BOS routes to non-hubs, but it's not a lock.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.