Search

Suggestions wanted on potential [AUS-BOM] travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLAT, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-PLT
Suggestions wanted on potential [AUS-BOM] travel

Hello,

I might be traveling from AUS-BOM for work in couple of weeks. As I will be flying in economy, I was thinking of flying AA metal to LHR and then from LHR-BOM on British Airways. The reason for looking this option is to have a chance at an upgrade using SWU (at least until LHR). I had a couple of questions in this respect:

(1) Are there any other options for traveling to BOM with the possibility of an AA metal travel besides the above?

(2) Also, I would need to travel to either ORD/DFW/JFK from AUS and then to LHR on AA metal. If I am traveling on June 20, which airport(ORD/JFK/DFW) may have a higher chance of an SWU?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
One thing you might want to try is the new DFW HKG service (do AUS-DFW-HKG on AA and then HKG-BOM on CX). At least this way you have an option to upgrade the DFW-HKG with miles or into MCE for the long 16-hour flights round trip. Then you only have to do HKG-BOM is coach for a significantly shorter flight (5 or so hours).
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
One thing you might want to try is the new DFW HKG service (do AUS-DFW-HKG on AA and then HKG-BOM on CX). At least this way you have an option to upgrade the DFW-HKG with miles or into MCE for the long 16-hour flights round trip. Then you only have to do HKG-BOM is coach for a significantly shorter flight (5 or so hours).
Thanks for this suggestion! Typically what are the chances of getting an SWU on this new sector- from DFW-HKG? On June 20 for example?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by mohanlal2000
Thanks for this suggestion! Typically what are the chances of getting an SWU on this new sector- from DFW-HKG? On June 20 for example?
It's gonna be tight for the first couple months until AA gets a feel for the flights. That being said:

-there is no SWU inventory on the 20th into J. You will have to wait list.
-there are a few MCE seats on that flight still so book fast!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
It's gonna be tight for the first couple months until AA gets a feel for the flights. That being said:

-there is no SWU inventory on the 20th into J. You will have to wait list.
-there are a few MCE seats on that flight still so book fast!
Thanks! Just checking if you had any information on the SWU availability for these

"ORD/DFW/JFK - LHR on AA metal. If I am traveling on June 20, which airport(ORD/JFK/DFW) may have a higher chance of an SWU?"
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
(2) Also, I would need to travel to either ORD/DFW/JFK from AUS and then to LHR on AA metal. If I am traveling on June 20, which airport(ORD/JFK/DFW) may have a higher chance of an SWU?
I don't know the answer but here is how I'd get it...

1. Get a subscription to Expertflyer. You can get a free trial. Use that to search for C inventory on AA from AUS to LHR. If nothing comes up then try DFW-LHR, JFK-LHR, ORD-LHR, and even MIA-LHR and LAX-LHR. If you can't find any flights with C inventory (likely) then you'll need to waitlist for an upgrade...

2. Nothing is for certain, but to maximize your chances you'll want to pick a flight with as many empty seats in business class as possible and as many open MCE (or premium) seats as possible. The latter is a rough indication of the number of folks who may have already requested upgrades. Of course, you only have to worry about other EXPs.

I second the DFW-HKG suggestion. HKG-BOM is a much shorter flight than LHR-BOM. And if you have to fly in Y I'd rather do it on CX than BA. FWIW, I did a quick check and there are still quite a few J seats open on the DFW-HKG flight on June 20. I'd say your chances would be pretty good, but if you can confirm something through LHR right now I'd probably go with that.

And shame on your employer, if that is who is sending you to BOM in Y.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:17 pm

Totally agree with Stripe.

Btw I checked those flights and no SWU options exist. It's a Friday to LHR so I didn't expect to find anything.

I really think HKG is your best option or reduce your chances of a long-haul Y seat. CX to BOM is a better option than BA.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I reguarly do this route, (ATL-BOM), I have good luck out of MIA and DFW, using the SWU,
to LHR, both those routes have the 77W, which for me is a better craft to use the SWU,
ORD still uses the 777, which if you get stuck in a middle seat, to me its not worth it.
BA out of LHR, has 2 departures, 10.35am and 9.25pm, I have taken both, and the past 4 trips I have taken this year, the flight has had a light load, the last trip I took in April on the 777 had only 56 passengers, so it was a breeze to get a whole row to myself,
beware though, on the BA 777 , the armrest do not go up all the way.. making sleeping ,
somewhat cramped.
If I had the time I would do the CX routing, but since my visits to India are only for a few days, BA works out fine, plus you will find the Frist class lounge out of T-5 quite decent.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
If the BA flight is empty, they often offer the optiont o upgrade from economy to premium economy for $400, which is probably worth it, premium economy is roughly equivalent to Domestic First Class.

Your absolute best bet would be to buy a premium economy round-trip, and upgrade with BA miles, probalby 25k miles each way, into club, which is quite comfortable, and this upgrade availability isn't that hard to find.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
I have used CX out of HKG to SGN, BKK, & PVG, and feel that it is a better option than LHR, because I both detest LHR and I love CX (bias revealed!)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
As a data point, I cleared HKG-DFW with a SWU for June 17, it did wait list for quite some time.

I have yet to clear LAX-NRT for June 8, although a few agents have said it "looks" good.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Why not fly the shorter route?

I am sorry dear fellow FTers but I'm no longer surprised at how visceral responses are. Does anyone bother to run a quick search to realize how bad the connecting timings are and how long going through HKG makes one's journey?

I realize that "flying less" isn't really the mantra on FT, but for people not on the West Coast, flying to India TPAC is much longer than flying TATL.

Why spend more hours of your life in a plane, especially in economy, if you don't have to?

AUS - LHR - BOM: 8,984 miles
(19h 40m outbound, 24h 15m return)
Leave at 6:20 PM- get in a full day of work
Return at 4:05 PM

AUS - DFW - LHR - BOM: 9,402 miles
(24h 35m outbound, 24h 20m return)
Leave at 1:15 PM - half day of work
Return at 4:10 PM

AUS - DFW - HKG - BOM: 10,971 miles
(26h 25m outbound, 28h 20m return)
Leave at 11 AM - wasted day
Return at 7 PM

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AUS+-+D...US+-+DFW+-+BOM

So do you want to waste 11 hours of your life just in case a SWU clears and pray your employer lets you book on all AA ticket stock so you get 100% mileage on the CX HKG-BOM-HKG sectors or do you want to fly at better times, be guaranteed 100% mileage, and have 11 hours more to do things you care about?

Furthermore, take a look at pricing. The AUS - LHR - BOM r/t can generally be purchased in BA's WTP (World Traveler Plus) for LESS than economy going via DFW. Tell your employer that you're saving him/her money and you want to be in WTP.

But hey, I'm the weirdo on FT. I'd rather fly SFO - ORD non-stop and spend two more hours with my family than do SFO - DFW - ORD to earn a few more miles. I realize the OP is EXP and that at least gives some shot of using the SWU. I'm not EXP so perhaps my perspective on this is skewed. For anyone who isn't EXP, there is 0 reason to fly via HKG in this situation.

Last edited by smilinganddialing; Jun 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm Reason: Adding color
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
I don't know the answer but here is how I'd get it...

1. Get a subscription to Expertflyer. You can get a free trial. Use that to search for C inventory on AA from AUS to LHR. If nothing comes up then try DFW-LHR, JFK-LHR, ORD-LHR, and even MIA-LHR and LAX-LHR. If you can't find any flights with C inventory (likely) then you'll need to waitlist for an upgrade...

2. Nothing is for certain, but to maximize your chances you'll want to pick a flight with as many empty seats in business class as possible and as many open MCE (or premium) seats as possible. The latter is a rough indication of the number of folks who may have already requested upgrades. Of course, you only have to worry about other EXPs.

I second the DFW-HKG suggestion. HKG-BOM is a much shorter flight than LHR-BOM. And if you have to fly in Y I'd rather do it on CX than BA. FWIW, I did a quick check and there are still quite a few J seats open on the DFW-HKG flight on June 20. I'd say your chances would be pretty good, but if you can confirm something through LHR right now I'd probably go with that.

And shame on your employer, if that is who is sending you to BOM in Y.
Well, I would have loved it if the employer could send me on Business class, but unfortunately the client will be footing the bill

Thanks for the suggestion...the only apprehension I have is if I book the DFW-HKG route and the SWU does not clear, will be stuck in economy for 15 hrs(as opposed to LHR economy for 10 hrs or so). Ah well
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
I reguarly do this route, (ATL-BOM), I have good luck out of MIA and DFW, using the SWU,
to LHR, both those routes have the 77W, which for me is a better craft to use the SWU,
ORD still uses the 777, which if you get stuck in a middle seat, to me its not worth it.
BA out of LHR, has 2 departures, 10.35am and 9.25pm, I have taken both, and the past 4 trips I have taken this year, the flight has had a light load, the last trip I took in April on the 777 had only 56 passengers, so it was a breeze to get a whole row to myself,
beware though, on the BA 777 , the armrest do not go up all the way.. making sleeping ,
somewhat cramped.
If I had the time I would do the CX routing, but since my visits to India are only for a few days, BA works out fine, plus you will find the Frist class lounge out of T-5 quite decent.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shawn02139
If the BA flight is empty, they often offer the optiont o upgrade from economy to premium economy for $400, which is probably worth it, premium economy is roughly equivalent to Domestic First Class.

Your absolute best bet would be to buy a premium economy round-trip, and upgrade with BA miles, probalby 25k miles each way, into club, which is quite comfortable, and this upgrade availability isn't that hard to find.
Unfortunately I don't have any BA miles for upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.